LatinaGirl8894
Anakin

Low-fat diets are not really healthy

LatinaGirl8894

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance
Rounds 2&3 are arguments and rebuttals
Round 4 is rebuttals and conclusion
Anakin

Con

Hello, I am against that low-fat diets are not really healthy. Lets have a great Debate
LatinaGirl8894

Pro

Depression

"A diet that's too low in fat"especially essential fatty acids, which your body can only get from food"might hurt your mental health. Both omega-3s and omega-6s play roles in mood and behavior. They are the precursor to many hormones and chemicals produced in the brain. One study published in the Journal of Affective Disorders has linked low and abnormal essential fatty acid intake to depressive symptoms. Other research shows that, because fatty acids help to insulate nerve cells in the brain, allowing these nerve cells to better communicate with one another. People who are deficient in omega-3s may suffer from bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, eating disorders, and ADHD. "(1)

By eating a low-fat diet you are depriving your body of essential omega 3"s that it need to keep the chemical flowing properly to your brain. Without them your brain can"t function how it is supposed to causing the diseases listed above.

Increased Cancer Risk

"Colon, breast, and prostate cancers have all been correlated with low intakes of essential fatty acids. Research has shown that a high intake of omega-3s slows prostate tumor and cancer cell growth, too. If your diet lacks healthy fats, you could be increasing your risk of cancer." (1)

Cancer is a big issue these days so why would you not want to do everything you can to keep your body healthy and reduce the risk of getting sick?

Low-Fat foods can make you fatter

"Three recent studies done by the Food and Brand Lab found that putting low"fat labels on snack foods encouraged people to eat up to 50% more than those who saw labels without the low fat claim." (2)

"Fat adds flavor and texture to food, which explains why foods that contain fat are so pleasing. When manufacturers remove fat from a product they often add back flavor using sugar. The problem is that added sugar means added carbohydrates, so even though a food is billed as low-fat it may well be higher in carbs than the original full-fat version. Excess carbohydrates not burned for energy get stored as fat, resulting in weight gain." (3)

Foods that are higher in carbs make you gain weight faster than those that do not have as much. Based on the study listed above people tend to eat more of a certain food when they see that it is "low-fat", thus they actually eat more than they originally would have if they has bought the full fat version. They end up eating more calories and more sugar which makes you fatter and raises your blood sugar level.

They are missing vital nutrients

"Many low-fat products are processed and very low in several vitamins and minerals. This could lead to deficiencies in the body which, in turn, could lead to many other problems. Low-fat products are often fortified with vitamins and minerals but many of these need fat alongside them to be ingested or they simply won"t be absorbed into the body." (4)

Taking the fat out of food also takes out vital nutrients that your body needs to survive. This means that your body is less likely to work as it should.

Can"t fight off infection

"Studies suggest that any bad fats ingested in the body are actually used for the very important role of fighting off any infection which tries to penetrate the body. A recent study has discovered that a small amount of saturated fat can actually be good for the body and people on a low-fat diet don"t have the means to repair their body if needed. This can lead to scarring and narrowing of the arteries which can eventually wind up as heart disease. Degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson"s have also been linked to a low-fat diet due to the body being repeatedly unable to fight off infection." (4)

Eating fatty foods actually helps your body fight off infections that you may happen to come in contact with. With the body not able to fight off infections you are more susceptible to them because there is no way to fight it off.

(1) http://www.sparkpeople.com...
(2)http://www.foodpsychology.cornell.edu...
(3)http://www.foxnews.com...
(4)http://www.sheknows.co.uk...
Anakin

Con

There were some great points by my opponent with the studies that was found, but I believe they don’t have much relevancy in this debate. My opponent opening statement in regards to depression states "A diet that's too low in fat “especially essential fatty acids, which your body can only get from food “might hurt your mental health. Both omega-3s and omega-6s play roles in mood and behavior." You are assuming if someone eats low-fat diets they will not eat healthy fats. A person can eat healthy fats and still be considered a low-fat diet. I do often.

The same with the increased cancer risk. My opponent states "If your diet lacks healthy fats, you could be increasing your risk of cancer” Again this says nothing about low fat diets it’s just suggesting you intake healthy fats.

The American Heart Association states "The American Heart Association recommends eating fish (particularly fatty fish) at least two times (two servings) a week. Each serving is 3.5 ounce cooked, or about ¾ cup of flaked fish. Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, herring, lake trout, sardines and albacore tuna are high in omega-3 fatty acids. "

That’s roughly 26 grams of fat per week from those fats. http://nutritiondata.self.com...

And you also can take fish oil supplement which is recommended to take about 6 grams per day of fat per day for those healthy fats.

Pretty much every point made has addressed the importance of eating the right fats as opposed to showing reasons why low-fats are not healthy.

Another point the Pro made was Low-Fat diets can make you fatter because of the packaging and people will eat more. Eating too much of anything can make you fatter. This is not a low-fat diet issue this is a packaging issue. The food being low-fat is not causing people to be fat the amount they are eating is causing them to be fat or unhealthy.

The last point made was "Cant' fight off infection" and the Pro cited "Studies suggest that any bad fats ingested in the body are actually used for the very important role of fighting off any infection which tries to penetrate the body. A recent study has discovered that a small amount of saturated fat can actually be good for the body and people on a low-fat diet don’t have the means to repair their body if needed."

This quote echoes my points; it says "a small amount of saturated fat can actually be good for the body and people on a low-fat diet"

A person can get the fats they need and still be on a low-fat diet as that study suggests. Having a small amount of bad fat can be helpful, just like having healthy fats. Again this still doesn’t give evidence that a low-fat diet is unhealthy.

The debate is about Low-fat diets not Non-fat diets. If someone is not eating any fat then your statements will be more valid in this argument. A person can eat a low-fat diet and still get their dosage of healthy fats.

LatinaGirl8894

Pro

"But the study suggests that low-fat diets weaken the immune system and slow the body"s healing process and make it less effective." (1)

When you are eating a low-fat diet it would never occur to you that you could be doing damage to your body. But you very well might be. When your immune system is weakened and can"t fight off infections or anything of that nature, it can be very bad for your health.

"A lack of fats and cholesterol can allow damage in arteries and veins to reach critical levels and lead to heart attacks, strokes or organ failure." (1)

People need to be putting fats into their everyday meals to keep their bodies performing at their full potential. There are other ways that you can eat if you need to lose weight or keep weight off without doing damage to your body.

With cancer being as big as it is, I would much rather eat something fatty and feel guilty than eat something low-fat and run the risk of getting cancer.
Anakin

Con

The key word here is suggest, your study suggest a low-fat diet weakens the immune system. Every couple years there seem to be some kind of study that total contradict another study. They suggest because they don't know. Also where is this study from? What hospital ? Which university? I have a publication from Harvard University stating

". For now, there are no scientifically proven direct links between lifestyle and enhanced immune function."

Regarding diet

"Like any fighting force, the immune system army marches on its stomach. Immune system warriors need good, regular nourishment. Scientists have long recognized that people who live in poverty and are malnourished are more vulnerable to infectious diseases. Whether the increased rate of disease is caused by malnutrition"s effect on the immune system, however, is not certain. There are still relatively few studies of the effects of nutrition on the immune system of humans, and even fewer studies that tie the effects of nutrition directly to the development (versus the treatment) of diseases."

They did mention having a general healthy life style will help the immune system and had this line to say about diet.

"Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat."Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat."

This goes back to what I said in round 2, eating the right kind of food is more important. Like eating the right kind of fats.

Just to reenforce what I said in the opening regarding the source you got your article from and how there are always studies to contradict another study. Here's a study from Tufts University a top 10 medical school . "

"Tufts University scientists have found that, when volunteers with high cholesterol levels switched to a low-fat diet, they not only lost weight, but significantly enhanced their immunity, an important factor in cancer prevention. Ten participants were initially instructed to follow a standard American-style diet deriving 35 percent of calories from fat. Then they followed three subsequent diets: one made up of 26 percent fat, one made up of 15 percent fat, and, lastly, a 15 percent fat diet with a further reduction in calories. Each diet drove cholesterol levels down, but only the last phase was associated with marked improvement in cellular immune response."

http://pcrm.org...
LatinaGirl8894

Pro

"Both saturated and trans fats increase heart disease risk, by mechanisms such as raising so-called "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and lowering "good" cholesterol (HDL), according to the American Heart Association (AHA)." (1)

I am pretty sure that the American Heart Association knows what it talking about when it comes to things like this. Eating this type of diet can lower your good cholesterol which is what is needed to keep you healthy. It also raised the bad cholesterol which makes you sick.

"Bottom Line: Low-Fat diets can adversely affect important risk factors for heart disease like LDL pattern, HDL and triglycerides." (2)

Low-fat diets are not always what your body needs to lose weight, so going on a diet like this may do more harm than good. They are not always the magic solution.

(1)http://www.webmd.com...
(2)http://authoritynutrition.com...
Anakin

Con

"Both saturated and trans fats increase heart disease risk, by mechanisms such as raising so-called "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and lowering "good" cholesterol (HDL), according to the American Heart Association (AHA)."

I'm not sure what you are implying with this quote, unless you are implying that someone on a low-fat diet will eat more saturated fats and trans fats. After clicking the link you provided for that quote the titles states.

U.S. Diets Still Contain Too Many Bad Fats: Study Americans need fewer trans and saturated fats, and more omega-3 fatty acids

To me they are implying that people need to eat more healthy fats, there's nothing about eating a low-fat diet in the link.

Too many people get information mixed up and love to give a blanket and general idea for something but the world doesn't work this way. What's bad for someone may be good for another person. Your second quote stated;

Let us examine who made this comment. Kris Gunnars, who is not a doctor, nutritionist or dietician, he is a student and blogger. I haven’t even found anything saying they he actually has any kind of degree.

Here’s what Ginny Messina, MPH, RD said about Kris Gunnars

"Gunnars is no authority on nutrition. His background is the usual one of the self-proclaimed expert: “I got interested in my own health and started reading books and studies on nutrition.” http://www.theveganrd.com...

Finally my opponent who stated this in the last round "Low-fat diets are not always what your body needs to lose weight, so going on a diet like this may do more harm than good. They are not always the magic solution.

First, you are right low-fat diets are not always the solution to lose weight, not once did I say it was. This debate is about health, not about losing weight, the two are not synonymous. A person can lose or gain weight and either could be healthy or not healthy depending on what the body needs at that time.

Conclusion: I have confronted and every single point my opponent has made. The Pro hasn’t provided not one statement by anyone in the medical field staying the Low-fat diets are unhealthy. They mainly point out that people need to eat the right kind of fats. In contrast I actually provided a quote from a top 10 medical university that said they found that a low-fat diet did actually boost some patient immune system, this was my opponent main point.

Gunnars is no authority on nutrition. His background is the usual one of the self-proclaimed expert: “I got interested in my own health and started reading books and studies on nutrition.” - See more at: http://www.theveganrd.com...

Posted by Anakin 2 years ago
Anakin
Lol, I see well my weight changes each season this year in feb I was 215, I decided to lose weight and I got down to 175 by Memorial Day because I was going on a trip. I do low fat diets every year but I also mix it with high fat diets. On high work out days I eat high carbs low fat, non work out days no carbs high fat, it's important that you eat healthy fats. For the pro to give a blanket reason that low fat diets are unhealthy is incorrect because from some people they are not but for some they may be. With that she has to be wrong and I said that in the debate. My results are already great as I do this diet every year. I do realize that weight lost doesn't always equate to health that's why i veered away from that topic during the debate.

You are right the Pro took the side that you have to eat healthy fats as I did, because she did not realize at first (maybe) that you still can eat fat and the diet still can be considered low-fat, but that was a bad point for her the reason I just stated. I felt like be her going that route I didn't even have to prove low fat diets are healthy just disprove that they weren't unhealthy. I dubuked every point she made not facts like eating healthy diets because I sgreeed with that just not her reasoning for bringing it into this debate. Sorry for the randomness writing.
Posted by DudeHouse 2 years ago
DudeHouse
I feel like you know a good deal about nutrition, but as far as the debate goes, both of you guys were saying healthy fats were ok, so there wasn't really a debate about that.

I was hoping for someone that didn't know anything about nutrition to take the Con side. You know that office worker, happy hour 5 days a week, type of girl that's like 30 pounds overweight? I wanted her to jump in and say low fat diets really work... even though she only got this idea from reading a 2-paragraph snippet in Cosmo..... and then she only ever tried the low-fat diet once.... and it was only for 3 days until she had to pound a quart of Ben & Jerry's....

.........that's who i was hoping for. I wanted to read it and laugh. Instead i got Anakin, 0% body fat, works out 5 days a week, knows more than a nutritionist about nutrition..... that's no fun.
Posted by Anakin 2 years ago
Anakin
The Pro stated that by eating low fat diets you are depriving your self of healthy fats. So in return I said a person can eat a low fat diet and still be consider healthy if you eat healtby fats. Notice after I said that Pro didn't not use that for her argument again even though that was her first argument. I use that to decredit what her point. She brought up healtby fats not me, that played right into my hands.
Posted by DudeHouse 2 years ago
DudeHouse
"A person can eat healthy fats and still be considered a low-fat diet."

You wrote this. Did you get Pro confirm that she disagreed with this?
Posted by Anakin 2 years ago
Anakin
I didn't have to dudehouse, the fact that all the reports states nothing about low fat diets being unhealthy. I don't have to prove why they are healthy that's not the debate. All I have I do is show that it's not really unhealthy. And I did provide a study for Tufts showing a low fat diet can help immune system , which was the Pro main argument. PS I wish someone would have actually voted on this. I do appreciate your feed back
Posted by DudeHouse 2 years ago
DudeHouse
Yeah but nothing was said about healthy fat or unhealthy fat in the debate topic. Its just about about fat. Anakin took the con side but did not make an argument for that side
Posted by Anakin 2 years ago
Anakin
We are not, she is not for low-fat diets, I am for low fat diets, please come back and vote
Posted by Luxray2854 2 years ago
Luxray2854
Both of you are on the same side haha