Boulder_Boy101
james94

Lower the Drinking Age from 21 to 18

Boulder_Boy101

Pro

This debate is simple. There should be no discrimination between different ages of legal adults on any freedom. If a person is old enough to vote, work, and die for his country, his rights and freedoms should be uniform with the rest of his fellow citizens. It is immoral and unconstitutional to let one majority or group of citizens to vote away the rights of someone else. It is the role of government to protect the liberties of its citizens, not control their lifestyles to what one group deems more healthy.

Right now in america, the overwhelming majority (people above the age of 21) are voting away the rights of a minority (people under the age of 21) for several various reasons: studies show that people under the age of 21 are far more likely to become alcoholics than people who start drinking after the age of 21, also it is a practice that is perceived in general as a bad and unhealthy habit.

However, while these studies may be true, the only person that has the right, the reason, and the virtue is the individual who is consuming these beverages. Government may however protect certain individuals from harming each other through means of punishment for the accosting of another person's rights, they do not however have the authority to protect one individual from themselves, as that would be violating one individuals right to property, assuming ones body is ones own property.

Furthermore, to give example, the american people would be outraged if one racial majority raised the drinking age to 25 of a minority race due to a study that said that particular minority was more prone to alcohol addiction than the majority race.

It is a preposterous notion to think that it is governments job to regulate the habits of its citizens when those particular habits have no direct detrimental effect on anyone but themselves.
james94

Con

In response to your arguement, I have done my own research and found that the younger the person the more proned they are to being tempted to drink ,because of peer pressure. This is statistical research.

Due to that fact I think that 21 should be the legal drinking age . We should not lower the drinking age to 18 because teenagers say we should .

This would be an abomination ! by that I mean that we should as people know that drinking under age is far more dangerous than not drinking.

If you are going to drink , it should be where you can not drive because you are drunk. That being said, I still feel that 21 should be the legal drinking age, due to being responsible or lack there of.
Boulder_Boy101

Pro

In response to your argument that the reason we should sacrifice the liberties of free citizens due to them being more prone to pressure from other individuals, the fact remains that it is the personal liberty and responsibility of the individual to take care of ones own choices and actions. One isn't not given nor granted liberty by the advance of ones age after being declared a legal adult. Once declared a legal and voting adult all freedoms should be uniform because they are not granted by our fellow citizens, these rights are granted by being human and are not and should not be under threat to be taken away by a majority.

Regardless of these truths, it can be said to refute your argument that drinking perhaps would not be such a hot topic to young adults had they been granted the freedoms that they deserve. Young adults would not be forced to sneak out and party at friends houses, they would be given a responsibility that all people should have and we would most likely see a sharp decline in peer pressure to drink due to the fact that it would no longer be illegal.

Regardless of trends, we can look at this from the vantage of an individuals rights instead of collective statistics. What gives one man the right to dictate and sacrifice the liberties of another man for the sake of his security when you do not have the right nor the liberty to do so?
james94

Con

In response to that, I still think that the legal drinking age should be 21 instead of 16 or 18. We as adults should be responsible for the actions that our young people take. Also I think that the choices we as adults make should be good influences on the young people today.

Being responsible means not putting pressure on our young people, Also it is not intended to put alcohol into the hands of children or young adults, especially teenagers. That is what I mean by peer pressure in our world today .

You talk about liberties and choices . Is it a drunk persons choice to kill someone in a car wreck? I think not. That is someones stupidity.

Peer pressure is when more than 1 person puts pressure on 1 person to drink or something they are not comfortable with doing .

In Austraila the laws are more flexible so that people can get away with drinking at age 16 or 18. Here we are more strict.
Boulder_Boy101

Pro

I am going to begin by saying you changed your argument from legislation to saying that older adults need to set an example for young children today. So basically your way of setting a so called "example" is the "do as I say not as I do principle" because older adults that are over 21 can drink and under 21 cannot.

Nevertheless you mentioned several times about our nations youth when the topic of this entire debate has been entirely about legal adults. If you want to change the age of adulthood that is an entirely different subject. I referred to under 21 adults as young adults in my earlier round merely to distinguish between the two groups to make it easier to prove my point, not so you can take it and say they are now considered youth. If our state considers them legal free adult citizens, then they should be treated as such.

The parenting age for a family is 1-18, and you are making an assumption that the "parenting" age for the state to teach morality to its citizens is 1-21.

So far your arguments have consisted of peer pressure, a moral obligation of one class to protect another, and you have declared 18 year old legal adults as our youth. But as you are on a constant fit of trying to have morality as the basis of your argument, I believe I have proven so far that it is indeed your argument that is in fact deeply immoral. In my case I am arguing in favor of giving a free citizen and legal adult the freedom to choose for himself, while you are arguing to take away that choice and to put it in the hands of someone else to dictate. You are in essence arguing in favor of letting another man assume the interests, the choices, and well being of another without his consent, which from different perspectives could be seen as tyranny or enslavement, if there is any real difference as the losing of ones freedom is all the same.
james94

Con

So what you are saying is that teenagers should be able to drink? Hopefully not. Surely you jest. What I mean by what I said in previous rounds of this debate is that I don't think that teenagers are as responsible as people over 21years old.

What I meant by peer pressure is that when people put pressure on others they tend to drink or do what they are dared to do, because they want to fit in with the crowd.

Statistically speaking the younger you start drinking the more proned you are to get into an accident than when you are in your 20s.

The brain gets impaired when alcohol is introduced to it. This slows down you thinking,and response time to driving and other activities.

If we lowewr the drinking age we should legalize drugs which will never happen.

In conclusion I still think that the legal drinking age should stay at 21 not 18.
Posted by nene_cinci 9 years ago
nene_cinci
I do believe that the legal drinking age should be 18 and not 21. You can fight for your country at 18 but you can't have a drink. How messed up is that?
Posted by The_Silent_Consensus 9 years ago
The_Silent_Consensus
18 is not this "holy grail" age. 18 is arbitrarily chosen for stuff because it's the year people graduate from high school. Ages of initiation vary; just because someone can have access to the voting booth doesn't mean that the person should be granted access to the liquor cabinet
Posted by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
As an advocate to lower the voting age in the state of Mass. during the height of the Vietnam war, the intent was to give the power of the vote to those who were doing the actual fighting. However, instead of doing what we requested, the legislature lowered the age of consent effectively allowing persons 18 and older to drink. The results were disastrous! The state soon reverted the legal drinking age back to 21.

In this debate, while I do not agree with the premise, I believe "Pro" presented a better argument.
Posted by Vulcan 9 years ago
Vulcan
pro you did a marvelous job. con you could have done better with maybe a longer posting and a more solidified argument. I believe that if you can vote in this country and die for it you should be able to legally drink.
Posted by reaganist 9 years ago
reaganist
I don't think those under the age of 21 should vote, but I could've debatd that better. Sadly the pro wins it
Posted by Boulder_Boy101 9 years ago
Boulder_Boy101
No James, I don't jest...
Posted by freckles14 9 years ago
freckles14
We shouldn't lower the drinking age, we should raise the age of voting and Army Enlistment, yes?
Posted by olivemike81 9 years ago
olivemike81
Hey if you think 18 is old enough to die in a war, but not old enough to have a drink, then you are guilty of ageism. Which is really no different then sexism or racism.
Posted by ceaser 9 years ago
ceaser
james, you say there is peer pressure involved. most peer-pressure situations involve doing something against the rules or against the law. so if the age was lowered and it wasnt against the law to drink at like 16 or 18, wheres the pressure, because your not being a cool bad-boy by breaking the law then.
Posted by ceaser 9 years ago
ceaser
yeah the smoking thing is the same here too, you can smoke it at whatever age you want, but if you get caught giving or selling to a minor, your busted.
Vote Placed by Mharman 1 week ago
Mharman
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by theaceb 9 years ago
theaceb
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by The_Silent_Consensus 9 years ago
The_Silent_Consensus
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by ceaser 9 years ago
ceaser
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by Vulcan 9 years ago
Vulcan
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied
Vote Placed by mrmatt505 9 years ago
mrmatt505
Boulder_Boy101james94Tied