MidgetMarie
rgibson

Lowering the drinking age

rgibson

MidgetMarie

Pro

Drinking age is 21 in the us, legal smoking age is 18....driving is approx 16. Are all these legal activities suitable for the age in which they are given? There are many 21 year olds that have or are in jail, still living with their parents, not bringing in any income, not much use to society really, but yet they can purchase and consume alcohol, possibly be careless with it, with the assumption based on their personality, and then whats the point. I know many 17/18/19/20 year olds that are very mature and responsible, going through school, heading to college, making an honest living, responsible sexually ect, but if they were even caught with a bottle of alcohol, min punishment would be a fine, but the consequences get much higher. I think the drinking age should be lowered to 19 or 20.
rgibson

Con

Thank you from posting such a good debate topic. I wish the best of luck to you. That said, there are 900 reasons not to lower the drinking age. 900, that's the number of 16-20 year-olds the CDC estimates are saved annually by the current drinking age (1). This legislation has resulted in a 16% decrease in alcohol related crashes (2). In addition to that the percentage of fatalities involving alcohol dropped from 44% to 22% (2). In states where the drinking age was lowered, alcohol related crashes rose, on averaged, by 10%. Furthermore, the percentage of high school seniors who drink dropped from 78% in 1978 (before the drinking age was increased) to 44% in 2007 (2). When you look at the numbers, this issue is crystal clear. If you want to save lives, then you must keep the drinking age where it is.
1. http://www.washingtonpost.com...
2. http://www.projo.com...
MidgetMarie

Pro

MidgetMarie forfeited this round.
rgibson

Con

rgibson forfeited this round.
MidgetMarie

Pro

MidgetMarie forfeited this round.
rgibson

Con

Why you should vote for me: There has been no other argumentation. There has been no rebuttal. There really isn't any other option.
Posted by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
Nevermind i thought you were someone else
Posted by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
I don't think the drinking age should be lowered, it should be eliminated. I visited Italy (has no drinking age) over the summer with a group and rarely did you see someone under the age of 30 at bars (approximation). I think that eliminating the drinking, given enough time, would lower the rate of binge drinking by college students and high schoolers. This would help lower the amount of drunk drivers on the road and the teen death rate due to alcohol.
Posted by fo-shizzle0855 8 years ago
fo-shizzle0855
same with me too. Sheforfeited my round on suburbs and country. and lohner forfeits the drinking age round with me too. they cant come up with any thing
Posted by KeithKroeger91 8 years ago
KeithKroeger91
The same thing happened to me when post a drinking age debate I guess people cant come up with any decent arguments to back the lowering of the drinking age ;p
Posted by the_conservative 8 years ago
the_conservative
it should be lowered to 18. If you can go to war, you should be able to have a Bud Light before you go. If you can VOTE for who can send YOU to DIE, you should be able to chill and drink some brew. It doesnt really matter though, i can still find plenty of ways to get beer and get drunk anyways, so what does it matter to me? All you have to do is not drive and look out for the cops.
Vote Placed by KeithKroeger91 8 years ago
KeithKroeger91
MidgetMariergibsonTied