gbellezza
jackxg695

Lowering the legal drinking age back down to 18 in America

gbellezza

Pro

I believe that the drinking age should be lowered back down to 18 years of age. It seems that only in America is drinking an issue. Over in places such as Europe where the drinking age is lower than here, young adults do not feel the need to go out partying and getting trashed to the extent that kids in America do and I believe that is because the drinking age is lower. There is no mystery to drinking because the age limit is lower. In America people can vote for our next president, wield a firearm, drive a car, buy cigarettes, and view inappropriate material all before legally drinking an alcoholic beverage.
jackxg695

Con

To my opponent, gbellezza, let me review what you have said. Quote from gbellezza, "young adults do not feel the need to go out partying and getting trashed to the extent that kids in America do and I believe that is because the drinking age is lower."

I agree and disagree with your statement. Adolescents feel the need to be rebellious, I have gone through that experience and I'm sure you have too. So drinking alcoholic beverages makes them feel superior. Although making it legal? I am having difficulty finding your reasons to be WITH lowering the drinking age back down to 18, maybe its just me.

I also am questioning this statement made by you, "It seems that only in America is drinking an issue." How would you possibly begin to know this? And without even posting sources?

Please go deeper into the subject, for I would like more insight on your bias.
gbellezza

Pro

I have to agree with you on the statement that teens seem to drink to be rebellious. It is highly prevalent in those teens who have parents that are very strict and seem to give them no real freedom.

One statistic that i believe supports my argument that i found very interesting was that, "Each year in the United States, roughly 5,000 young people under the age of 21 die as a result of underage drinking. This includes about 1,900 deaths from motor vehicle accidents. These statistics highlight the prevelence of teenage alcoholism and alcohol abuse in the U.S" (Teen alcohol statistics) while "the number of drivers failing police breath tests is on a downwards slope."

I believe this has to do with the lower drinking age in Europe because by 19 or 20, these kids no longer feel the need to go out and rebel and get drunk to the point of being unable to function because they are not allowed to. It is more common to see light social drinking in europe than here in america for that reason.
jackxg695

Con

jackxg695 forfeited this round.
gbellezza

Pro

gbellezza forfeited this round.
jackxg695

Con

jackxg695 forfeited this round.