Maccabee
henryzietlow

Luke 22:36 is literal

Maccabee

Maccabee

Pro

Here is the full context of Luke 22:36. Please use the KJV as the base of your argument.

35. And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36. Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be acclomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said into them, It is enough.

First round will be acceptance, and second round will be what I think what it means and rebuttal.
henryzietlow

Con

Thanks for this wonderful challenge.
I love the bible, and think that there is always something to be learned from the word of our lord.
(also, i would like to be refered to by my given name, jed-john)
Maccabee

Pro

Thanks for taking up the debate, Jed. Here is the analysis of what I got out of the passage:

35. Jesus asked them when he told to go without provisions did they lacked anything and they said "no".

36. Then Jesus said for them to get a purse, scrip and sword. In my opinion why would he tell them to get two physical things (purse and scrip) but tell them to get something allegorical or spiritual in the same sentence? Why would he ask them if they lacked the physical needs in 35 but then tell them to get something that is not literal?

37. Jesus quotes a prophecy over himself of what's going to happen. The common explanation is this is referring to the two men on the cross. I have no problem with this but it begs the question of why Jesus said it in the middle of this passage? My personal theory is that either (a) the sword mentioned was illegal to own making the disciples criminals, or (b) it could be referring to the garden when peter resisted.

38. The disciples thinking that Jesus wanted them to take Israel back and missing the point that Jesus wanted them to be prepared for everyday life as they preach the gospel.
henryzietlow

Con

Ok. Luke 22:38 kinda sounds like 17:38. So, i can quote fetty wap too.
From his hit 679,
"girl, you're so damn fine though
I'm tryna know if I could hit it from behind though
I'm sipping on you like some fine wine though
And when it's over, I press rewind though
You talking bands, girl, I got it
Benjamins all in my pocket
I traded in my trues for some robins
He playing Batman, Fetty's gon' rob him
I got a Glock in my 'rari, 17 shots, no 38
I got a Glock in my 'rari, 17 shots, no 38"
Now, fetty wap says nothing about any luke dude. So, luke 17:38 can't be literal. Now, if you want to start studying some literal bible verses, you should check out my church, the St. Paul church of Scientology. We're giving out free personality tests? Check us out.
*drops mic*
Maccabee

Pro

It's hard to understand your rebuttal. If you're referring to Luke 17:38 than there is no such thing. It only has 37 verses.
I think my opponent has bowed out of the debate as he didnt addressed any of the points I have given.
henryzietlow

Con

Alright. My opponent doesn't understand fetty wap. I guess that's fine.
Here we go
Let's do some word crunching. This can be rephrased as "let him take...his...swords." This seems to be endorsing theft. God hates theft. In fact, he even says it. So, God cannot literally and genuinely be endorsing theft, so this can't be literal. Moreover, my Fetty Wap example can be shortened to "I could...got...glock. This is endorsing the purchase of firearms, which God also hates.
If you vote pro, you are compromising the intentions of god by supporting a contradiction.
The only thing I can see is a con ballot
http://www.theevangelicalchurch.org...
Maccabee

Pro

Thank you the clear up. For a moment I thought you did a rather bad bow out.

Lets look at the verse you quoted.

36. ...and he that HATH a purse, let him take it.

The verse is saying that if you already have a purse (modern day it would be wallet) then you should go ahead and take it. It'll be like me saying to you as you walk out the door "take your wallet with you". I'm in no way saying that you should take someone else's wallet. I would also ask why owning a firearm is against God commandments.
henryzietlow

Con

henryzietlow forfeited this round.
Maccabee

Pro

My opponent forfeited the round (as if the audience didn't knew that already). I would greatly apreciate it if you vote for me as winner.
henryzietlow

Con

henryzietlow forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Ramshutu 1 year ago
Ramshutu
MaccabeehenryzietlowTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit