jdog2016
Anakin

Lying/Cheating is ALWAYS Wrong

Anakin

jdog2016

Con

The Morality in Deception

I will be arguing that lying/cheating is NOT always wrong.

In todays society, social structure is everything. The general stability of our society today is caused in large by people being ‘good’. The word ‘good’ is simple, however it encompases a suprisingly large catagory of human actions. These include things such as truthfulness, selflessness, kindness, and so on. All throughout our lives, we have been taught to strictly be ‘good’, and that is we are to never stray from that path. Should we stray from this, we are to be punished. This is not only enforced by our parents, or mentors persay, but also society as a whole. Be as it may, what if one was to ‘lie’, or ’cheat’ in a good way, or rather a way that benefits more than the culprit themselves. My own belief is that while ‘lying’ or ‘cheating’ as a whole can be categorized as ‘bad’, there are certain sub categories within the one that can be of mutual benefit to all.

The idea that ‘lying and cheating is always wrong’, is absurdity. There are indeed times when one individual may become conflicted in any given situation because they believe in that moment, that were they to lie all would be solved in a justified manner. In a more specific approach, how would you respond in the unlikely event that a terrorist approached you, and said he would kill you on the spot if you were american. Of course you are going to start frantically denying that you are american, thereby lying, and cheating the man. The liar is simply doing so to prevent his own doom. Is that wrong? As were the wise words of Brian Fantana, nope.

In terms of cheating in a competitive aspect, it is usually unjust. The only remotely possible way to cheat in a game or competition and still keep your honor, is in the instance that the person whom you are cheating, is cheating as well. In doing this, are not simply making the competition fair once more? All of this goes back to to the classic rule that is well known by anyone who grew up with a sibling.

The quote “Don’t hit back!”, said by every multi childbearing parent ever, means simply that if someone either physically or mentally attacks you, ignore it and the issue will resolve itself. While this quote seems reasonable, the idea it encompases is highly contradictory, as it basically instructs you to remain idle while being harassed. So, when someone is cheating you, should you cheat them back? The answer is unclear.

While I do not condone lying and cheating, I do believe it is an inevitable part of human nature. For the most part, cheating someone has morally negative effects, however there seems to be some instances when it can be reasonably justified, whether someone is preserving their own, or others safety and well being, or even if they are just evening the playing field. The bottom line is this, I lie, and you lie. If you said you weren’t a liar, you would be most certainly lying all over again.

Anakin

Pro

There were some good points by the Con and I seem to be an underdog in this one but heres my response.

You say lying/cheating is not always wrong but by definition of the word wrong it will always be wrong.

1. Wrong is defined as not correct or true. -source Google https://www.google.com...

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
2
: not right or proper according to a code, standard, or convention : improper
3
: not according to truth or facts : incorrect

The key is in the definition of the word wrong and by definition it will always be wrong. Now does make sense to lie in some cases, well of course it does, but thats not the question. The question is, is it wrong and the answer is always yes because lying and cheating are not correct and true and if something is not correct or true it has to be wrong by definition of the word wrong.
So no matter how helpful a lie or cheating is it will always be wrong. If you posed the question that lying/cheating is nver helpful then you would be correct.
Posted by Anakin 3 years ago
Anakin
I knew that this would be tough going into, so I had to look at it from a totally different perspective, if not it would have played right into your hands, good debate.
Posted by jdog2016 3 years ago
jdog2016
Man...I'm suprized at the outcome of this!
Posted by EndarkenedRationalist 3 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
PRO semanticed (yes, I made up that word) the hell out of this debate.
Posted by Buckethead31594 3 years ago
Buckethead31594
Agreed.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
That would be really hard for Pro.
Vote Placed by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
jdog2016AnakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: I originally went into reading the debate, thinking it was an easy task for Con, as I believe lying and cheating are useful survival tactics, that many species of creatures in the wild practice for survival as well, so such techniques evolved across all species. Such as fish who deceive a male fish guarding his precious female that it was another female fish, in order to procreate with the guarded female. So deception is an evolved survival trait. But, Pro hit the Semantics chord and demonstrated that by simple semantics, the Debate Title should have been better worded to suit's Con's approach, where semantically Pro is correct.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
jdog2016AnakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: con gave philosophical of lying and cheating where pro gave the dictionary definition. I like con's conduct better, but she contradicts herself, when she says that the answer to cheating back is unclear.
Vote Placed by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
jdog2016AnakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a case for "lying" by giving an interesting reinterpretation of "wrong." It's pretty smart, suggesting not a moral wrong but a factual wrongness. However, from Con's argument it is pretty clear what Con meant, but of course didn't give a definition. That point goes to Pro. However, Pro does not give a definition of "cheating." While it's possible that the slash "/" means that Anakin gets to choose either Lying or Cheating but doesn't have to defend both, Anakin doesn't make that argument in the debate, and in fact seems to be trying to defend both, so I assume that is not her/his interpretation. Therefore, Con might be said to win that cheating, though not lying, is not always wrong, since Pro conceded to Con's moral case. However, if Pro is correct in the definition of wrong, then Con's moral argument is irrelevant. Therefore, I'm left without knowing whether cheating is wrong or not. I am left with neutral arguments.