Leugen9001
The_Saboteur

MIENCRAf is BETER then TEraRRIA

Leugen9001

Pro

Theirexist exactly two voxel-base sandboxx game in the world: Minecraft, TEH awesome and totally-original game that is objectively the best game EVAAR, and Terraria, a copycat worthless game. In this debate, I seek to prove that Minecraft is objectively sUPERIORr THEN Terraria in several ways.

1. GaMEPLAy11!1!11

Minecraft is beter then Terraria because it haz thr33 dimension. Three is bigger than the two, so a Minecraft is the better.

2. CreativiTy!!!111!

Why do people keep on insisting that Super Smash Bros. is so good? Minecraft is way better since you can actually be creative in it.

3. ALL my opponent's arguements are false cuz I say so!!!!!

My opponen wud probs say someting like "it's just a game! Why are you so passionate and illogical about this?" To that, I say "minecraf is lif minecraf is lov"!!!!!11
The_Saboteur

Con

Alright first off, you type like a nine year old loser on call of duty somewhere, so I expect this to be an easy argument. Also, do note that I argue that both are good, but neither is better.

However, my insults will stop there, as this is a clean fight.
First: There are way more than two voxel-based sandbox games in this world. Shocking right?

Second: Terraria was released several months before Minecraft, making it A: NOT a copycat, and B: Making it more original than Minecraft. That being said, Minecraft was being developed first. HOWEVER, Minecraft is not original by any means! Minecraft is based off of Dwarf Fortress, Infiminer, and many other games! So Minecraft is technically by your standards a "copycat!"

Third: 3D is not always better than 2D. Both use the dimensions of the games to create a beautiful retrospective world for gamers to enjoy, and both have very fun yet differing game play. Minecraft is much less adventurous, but much more about expressing yourself. Minecraft is infinitely generated and also focused on BUILDING. Terraria, on the other hand, is all about EXPLORATION and DUNGEONEERING. These two very different games have very different focuses!

Fourth: For the love of god, turn on spell check or let your mother type for you, because reading your argument was like watching a four year old draw on my wall in crayon!

Finally: This all being said, I believe I have accurately represented my point that Minecraft is good, Terraria is good, and that is all that matters. Neither is better than the other.
Leugen9001

Pro

Introduction

Minecraft and Terraria are the two major open-world sandbox games that share elements of roleplay, combat, and construction. While both have loyal fanbases that attest to their fun gameplay, I argue that Minecraft is superior to Terraria in terms of gameplay and originality.

Model

In this debate, how "good" a game is should depend on how fun its gameplay is; this is because games are primarily intended as a form of entertainment, and therefore a better game should better entertain. As such, I only have the burden to demonstrate that Minecraft is superior to Terraria as a game on the virtue that its gameplay is more entertaining in order to win this debate.

Signpost

In order to fulfill my burden to prove that Minecraft is more fun than Terraria, I shall make two constructive points: that the fact that it is in 3D vastly enhances all of its major gameplay mechanics, and that it encourages creativity and thought, therefore giving it nearly-unlimited replayability. But before that, I shall refute my opponent's points.

Refutations

I would like to remind you that my opponent has, by his own admission, insulted me by comparing me to a 9-year-old "loser" playing Call of Duty. I would like to point out his hypocrisy in making said insult; his focus on my style of writing makes him more similar to a 9-year-old than I am.

To address my opponent's point about originality, there is plenty of reason to believe that Terraria was at least partly inspired by Minecraft; Terraria's development begun in 2011, while Minecraft's public beta begun in 2010. While Minecraft was inspired by earlier games, too, Minecraft's mechanics are far more original compared to those of Terraria. Minecraft is almost completely different from the games by which it was inspired; the only things Minecraft shares with Infiniminer are the first person view and the use of voxels, which dates back to LEGO bricks, and the features that it shares with Dwarf Fortress are minimal considering the fact that they have completely different gameplay. On the other hand, Terraria shares many elements with its inspiration, Minecraft, including the existence of a crafting system, a reliance on mining, the generation of sprawling cave systems, and more.

My opponent also said that Minecraft and Terraria are both equally as good despite the fact that one is 3D and one is 2D; this is untrue, as I will demonstrate below.

Constructive points

Number of dimensions

Minecraft and Terraria share the same core mechanics: building, exploration, and combat. I believe that Minecraft's use of three dimensions helps enhance all three mechanics.

Because Minecraft uses three dimensions, it becomes possible to create realistic statues, buildings, and more; this helps its users—mainly children—become more creative. Terraria, on the other hand, uses two dimensions, which severely limits creativity.

Minecraft's use of three dimensions also enhances exploration. Since it only allows players to see things in the player character's line of sight, it hides many things from players and encourages exploration more. Terraria, on the other hand, offers less to explore due to the lack of a third dimension.

Finally, Minecraft's three dimensions also enhance combat. In Minecraft, it is possible for players competing with other players to hide behind hills, walls, or underground, allowing them to use more diverse tactics. Terraria, on the other hand, does not allow such hiding, since it shows a two-dimensional cross-section of the world.

Encouraging of creativity and thought

Many of Minecraft's gameplay elements encourage creativity and thought; in addition to being somewhat educational, they make the game more fun because they make it replayable. Minecraft allows for the construction of three-dimensional structures, which encourages players to play it on repeat. It also has redstone wiring, a feature that Terraria does not possess, which allows players to create custom machinery; this helps enhance logical thought and also leads to more replayability and fun.

In this debate, I have demonstrated that Minecraft's use of three dimensions and encouraging of creativity make it more entertaining and therefore better as a game than Terraria. I have also refuted my opponent's points and pointed out how he has used insults in a way that constitutes poor conduct that doesn't belong in civilized debate. As such, be it resolved that this house believes that Minecraft is better than Terraria.

Citations

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org...

[2]https://en.wikipedia.org...

The_Saboteur

Con

The_Saboteur forfeited this round.
Leugen9001

Pro

Extend all arguments.
The_Saboteur

Con

The_Saboteur forfeited this round.
Posted by Leugen9001 10 months ago
Leugen9001
@Red_X it wuz my MUM!! Actually, no. I started the debate as a joke, but I ended up posting a serious argument after my opponent also made one.
Posted by red_x 10 months ago
red_x
pretty sure that a different person typed round two for pro...
Posted by red_x 10 months ago
red_x
well that escalated quickly
Posted by Sports_Fan_842 10 months ago
Sports_Fan_842
Yes
Vote Placed by RainbowDash52 10 months ago
RainbowDash52
Leugen9001The_SaboteurTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gets S&G because Pro WRitES LIk DIS!!11!! in round 1. Pro's sources related to the less important 'who was the copycat' argument and not the more important "which is funner 2d or 3d" argument. So although Pro was was the only one to use sources, they aren't quite important enough to earn sources points. So sources are tied. I am abstaining from arguments vote because I have preconcieved opinions of 2d and 3d video games and I am not allowed to take those opinions into consideration when evaluating the debate in my RFD and I do not wish to write an RFD from the viewpoint of a non-existant person who has no preconceived opinions of 2d and 3d games. (precaution to not let mods remove this vote) I am abstaining from conduct vote because illegalcombat already voted solely on conduct.
Vote Placed by illegalcombat 10 months ago
illegalcombat
Leugen9001The_SaboteurTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeits 2/3, Conduct to Pro.