9spaceking
Vox_Veritas

MLP:FiM Should Keep on Going

9spaceking

Pro

PREFACE
I'm annoyed with the comments "Down with MLP and the bronies!" I'm neutral about the bronies part, but as for MLP, why, I want it to continue! That is why I am here, to show you all why MLP:FiM should continue, and should not be brought down!!

MLP:FiM: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
"Go on": This means that the show will continue.
My opponent has the burden to prove that MLP:FiM should be brought down (and thus the show should be stopped).
I have the burden to show why MLP should be continued (to air on TV).
Round one acceptance, unless you want to start--in which case you must leave the last round empty.
If at any time you wish to concede, then you must post "Long live MLP and the bronies!" In this debate in addition to your concession, as well as the same message on the forum at least 5 times.
I wish you a hairy Christmas, hater.
Vox_Veritas

Con

I accept. However, if I wish to concede, I will not insert said phrase (Pro was probably kidding about that anyway).
Despite my primal hatred for My Little Pony, I shall do my best to remain civil.
State your case, Pro.
9spaceking

Pro

Well first of all let's take away whehter it's actually a good show or not. Let's talk about how much benefits it can bring other than entertainment. On MLP:FIM's episode wikia page, here's what it says about season five:
In an interview with WorldScreen.com, Stephen Davis, president of Hasbro Studios, stated about Friendship is Magic, "We are now going into our fifth season—just a tremendous success for us."[1] In May 2014, the Hub Network stated on Twitter and Facebook that season five is "coming 2015"[2][3] and stated on Twitter that "the start of" season five will be "in 2015",[4] and despite these statements specifying merely the year, Jim Miller stated on Twitter "The Hub Network tweeted it would be coming out early 2015";[5] Jayson Thiessen also mentioned on Twitter "season five of My Little Pony coming in 2015!"[6] A June 17, 2014 press release from Hasbro mentioning when the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic animated series "will kick off its fifth season" initially stated an earlier release date of "this fall in the US". The sources can be found on http://mlp.wikia.com..., I do not own this big passage above, once more, I repeat, this is from MLP:FiM's episode wikia page, so don't go around accusing me of plagiarism.
In fact I will even copy and paste those sources MLP wikia uses, so as to show you I'm not lazy:

1. Anna Carugati (2014-01-10). Q&A with Hasbro's Stephen Davis. WorldScreen.com. Retrieved on 2014 January 10.

1. HubTVNetwork: BREAKING: #MLPSeason5, coming .... Twitter (2014-05-07). Retrieved on 2014 May 9.

1. Hub Network - Timeline Photos. Facebook (2014-05-07). Retrieved on 2014 May 9.

1. HubTVNetwork: RT if you already can't wait .... Twitter (2014-05-10). Retrieved on 2014 May 21.

1. Jim Miller (2014-05-21). TheBiggestJim: @chickenzach Yes. The Hub Network .... Twitter. Retrieved on 2014 May 21.

1. Jayson Thiessen (2014-05-26). goldenrusset: @Marimo0Marimo @TheBiggestJim .... Twitter. Retrieved on 2014 June 17.

So anyhow, MLP is already continuing as planned. If we suddenly halted the show, we'd disappoint all those fans, the planned episodes and previews get wasted and thrown into the trash. and what's worst, there's a big financial vaccuum hole created as a result....

First theres this new iphone game

Next there's MLP plush toys

There's even MLP clothing...
s://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com...; alt="" width="369" height="398" />

Of course there's much more merchandice but you get the idea. If you cancel the show, one, the potential customers won't buy it because they don't know about the show (since it doesn't air any more), and two, the bronies will be angry and probably not buy the merchandice as a boycott to force continuation of the show. Seriously, you don't want to make a brony angry.

The bronies...they watch you.

Anyhow onto you my opponent
Vox_Veritas

Con

1. Long Enough
According to Wikipedia, "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" has had 91 episodes. Think about that: 91 episodes. A Power Rangers season in its current state runs for about 20 episodes per season. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so far has been the equivalent of 4 Power Rangers seasons in length.
I think it's fair to say that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has had a good run, and it would not be an injustice to the show to end it now. Much better shows have lasted considerably less long (such as Firefly, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Digimon Tamers, Power Rangers RPM, etc).

2. It's Dumb
Any show with "My Little Pony, My Little Pony, ah-ah-ah-ah-ah..." as the first set of lyrics to its theme song must be dumb.

3. Outdated Graphics
Source: Any Image from the Show
However, I will offer something more substantial. The series began in 2009, correct? I will compare it to "Digimon: Digital Monsters", a show from 1999, graphic-wise. Note that there should be a 10 year difference in the graphics.
Digimon (1999):
http://www.bing.com...
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (2009):
http://www.bing.com...
(Don't let the pseudo-anime eyes fool you.)

Point proven, yes?

4. MLP:FiM is just one aspect of the "My Little Pony" franchise
There was My Little Pony long before the 2009 series, and that trend will continue until the franchise runs out of money. If the 2009 series ends, they can create a new series in its place, possibly one that is better. The franchise's development should not be further impeded by a series which has been going on for 5 painfully stretched out years.

I whipped this together at the last second, so I apologize for my argument's shortness.
It's my opponent's turn again now. I await his response. Thank you.
9spaceking

Pro

1. Long Episodes
91 episodes?? That's nothing. Come on man. Homer Simpson has...
a freaking 561 massive episodes!! (According to Wikipedia)....and it's STILL GOING!

And by the way no offence but Power Rangers stink.

2. It's dumb
Oh, but any show with the theme song being the ONLY dumb song is NOT dumb. I mean just listen to all these awesome songs. (videos presented on the right side) Your heart must soar from listening to them!

(And keep in mind that these songs not only SOUND catchy, they have really good messages! Just take the last song. The lyrics are awesome!)

[Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo]

We're the toughest little ponies in town
Got the moves, got the mojo, no harder working ponies around
We are a trio, work as a team
We'll be the first ponies out on the flag-waving scene

We get going when the going gets tough
We know our very best is just never enough
We're kinda short, but so what? We don't get defeated
We could take a little break, but we don't need it

We've got hearts as strong as horses
We've got hearts as strong as horses
We've got hearts as strong as horses
We've got hea-a-arts, hearts strong as horses

When we put our minds together, we can achieve
We're the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and you should believe
We've got determination to represent the nation
For the win

We've got hearts as strong as horses
We've got hearts as strong as horses
We've got hearts as strong as horses

And we're playing to win as we gallop to glory
We can conquer any challenge we're in
We've got hearts, hearts strong as horses
Hearts strong as horses

{Reprise}

[Sweetie Belle]

Got the moves, got the mojo...

[Apple Bloom]

No harder working pony around.

[Scootaloo]

We are a trio, work as a team

Scootaloo: So let's get to the Crystal Empire and let's do the routine as it was! And let's win this thing!

We've got hearts as strong as horses
We've got hearts as strong as horses
We've got hearts as strong as horses

We can conquer any challenge we're in
Hearts strong as horses

I told you.

3. Outdated graphics
Digimon is like anime. Anime has a different standard from normal cartoon. I mean seriously, look at THIS girl: http://www.bing.com...

Now look at the Simpsons, the longest running show ever: http://www.bing.com...

Your argument is invalid. Simpsons is so entertaining it ran on for years and years regardless of its graphic imagery. Not to mention most anime shows have far, FAR less episodes than the Simpsons!
It's about the quality of the actual show, not the graphics. -.-

4. Another MLP??
This is my opponent's strongest points. Yet, why bother? Why have another cast of completely different or at least varied characters? They all still have more development to come. Season 5 cannot take the place of the new MLP because as we can see in season 4 most of the episodes depend on another previous episode as a grounding to take place. Therefore the producers must drop their efforts for season 5 in order to make this "new MLP". But again, why bother? You need a new animation style, new ideas, new characters, new EVERYTHING. It would take too much money, time, and effort to make this new MLP. Just stick to season 5 and let it roll.

Also, let me stress the economic disadvantages that all of my opponent's point fail to refute (Except possibly number 4 the counter-plan). Here we go, by the power of copy-pasta!
Let's talk about how much benefits it can bring other than entertainment. On MLP:FIM's episode wikia page, here's what it says about season five:
In an interview with WorldScreen.com, Stephen Davis, president of Hasbro Studios, stated about Friendship is Magic, "We are now going into our fifth season—just a tremendous success for us."[1] In May 2014, the Hub Network stated on Twitter and Facebook that season five is "coming 2015"[2][3] and stated on Twitter that "the start of" season five will be "in 2015",[4] and despite these statements specifying merely the year, Jim Miller stated on Twitter "The Hub Network tweeted it would be coming out early 2015";[5] Jayson Thiessen also mentioned on Twitter "season five of My Little Pony coming in 2015!"[6] A June 17, 2014 press release from Hasbro mentioning when the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic animated series "will kick off its fifth season" initially stated an earlier release date of "this fall in the US". The sources can be found onhttp://mlp.wikia.com......, I do not own this big passage above, once more, I repeat, this is from MLP:FiM's episode wikia page, so don't go around accusing me of plagiarism.

First theres this new iphone game

Next there's MLP plush toys

There's even MLP clothing...
s://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com......; alt="" width="369" height="398" />

The bronies...they watch you.

Anyhow onto you my opponent
I hope you refute my arguments this time
Vox_Veritas

Con

1. Simpsons Comparison
The Simpsons should not have lasted as long as it did. Either way, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a kids show, so it's in a different category. It's not expected to last very long before the Franchise receives a reboot.

2. Power Rangers
I shalt forgive thee of thy heinous blasphemy this once...
Nah, it's fine. I suppose you kind of have to be a long time fan to really like it. That or a little kid, but the former is more likely.
Anyways...

3. Dumb Song that Pro Sung
Um...no comment.

4. Outdated Graphics
I must admit that MLP:FiM has a higher "resolution" than the original Digimon (note that it seemed somewhat distorted), but at the same time notice how simple (might I say it, crude/primitive) shapes and character/background designs.
Also, Digimon Adventure 01 being an anime does not negate the fact that it was aired in the year 1999.

5. Franchise Reboot
Pro asked the following question: why? Well, the reason for this is what I call "Series Burnout".
Here's a classic example with the 2003 Ninja Turtles reboot, which went on for too long:
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com...
The same is likely to happen to MLP:FiM if it goes on much longer. If you want your precious series to die with dignity, end it now, before it burns out.
You said that would cost too much money, but the series probably made the producers a lot of money, enough to make a new series and hire a good writer.
Question: Why does a reboot necessarily mean that the reboot won't be as good as MLP:FiM?

6. Disappointed Fans, Money Wasted on Promotion and Advertising
Fans can suck it (if there was a massive brony riot that'd be entertaining to watch) and Sunk Coast Fallacy.
The new reboot series would arguably make more money than the FiM is capable of making now. Think about it: probably every Brony already has the Apple Jack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle, Spike, and Princess Celestia plush toys. They have no reason to buy another one. They already have the dvds and the "I am a gay brony" bumper stickers.
But if they make a brand new series, the hardcore bronies will buy all the new merchandise. Kaching! Even if some of the bronies boycott the new merchandise, probably most won't, especially if this new series is popular.
And of course, to some degree they may continue to sell the old toys to keep raking in a profit.

Back to Pro.
9spaceking

Pro

Final round
1. Simposons Comparison
Even though MLP: FiM is a kids show, many adult fans compose a majority of the fan-base. It is treated as an adult show, as shown before. Bronies love MLP. Adults love the Simpsons. I don't see a big difference there.

3. Dumb song....
Dumb song? Remove conduct point from my opponent this instance!
It is up to you judges to judge whether these songs with amazing tunes and messages are dumb or not.

4. Outdated graphics
So what? MLP is meant to be simple. I mean, there are some episodes where super crazy stuff happens (see YouTube videos for reference), but they only add depth and funniness. MLP aims for consistency. And hey, Japenese children enjoy anime style cartoon; our American children enjoy this type of cartoon! All types of cartoons have their own complexity and styles. You can't say MLP is outdated just because it looks a bit simpler than anime cartoons.

5. Reboot
My opponent cites the 6th season of Ninja Turtle. But MLP is rolling on forward only to season 5. Case negated.
As for reboot not being as good, that means because the producers have to throw away season 5, they'll have to rummage for new ideas and new characters. It'll be tough and frustrating, because they were in the middle of making season 5 espisodes.

Who would buy the new characters without seeing the show??! It would require lots of development and liking. Not to mention they have to make the new reboot at least as good as the original, otherwise bronies will stick to the old version!

IN CONCLUSION
-Season 5 is coming, no need to waste producer's efforts
-MLP already earns enough money, there is no need for producing a new reboot and try to outdo the original show (which is nearly impossible anyways)
-MLP:FiM should continue on!

Vote me.
Vox_Veritas

Con

1. Simpsons
Just because one show with similar credentials (I take that back; as the Simpsons was made for an older audience, it naturally follows that its plotlines and character development would be on a higher tier) doesn't mean that the show in question likewise needs to have a boatload of episodes.
In fact, I do not know of a kids show that has gone on for 25 years without continual reboots. There's nothing particularly special about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to make it deserving of this privilege above equal or better shows which only survived through a reboot(s).

3. Complaint about my conduct
*shrugs off accusation and continues with debate*

4. Bad Graphics/Digimon Adventure 01
The show that I named, despite being anime, was also ten years older than MLP:FiM. That was the point that I was trying to make.
However, here's a show (for young children) which is NOT an anime, which also debuted in 2009. It has considerably better graphics.
http://www.bing.com...

Of course, the question of graphics is rather irrelevant, as graphics do not a good show make. Thus, I'll drop this point.

5. Reboot
"My opponent cites the 6th season of Ninja Turtle. But MLP is rolling on forward only to season 5. Case negated."
The principle still applies. MLP:FiM has been airing new episodes for multiple seasons now.
As for having to rummage for new ideas...
A. They could use some of the concepts intended for MLP:FiM season 5.
B. If that is not possible, well, frankly, in the opinion of this (moderately good) story writer, it's not all that hard to do.

"Who would buy the new characters without seeing the show??!"
Not having seen the show? It is my understanding that a new show would (in this hypothetical scenario) be aired.
Power Rangers reboots literally every year (well, up until 2009, that is) and yet it's doubtful that they had much difficulty selling the toys of the entirely new rangers, even among fans who had yet to see the new series. I don't see how My Little Pony is any different in this regard.
Now, the "Old Guard" (that is, overweight 35 year old Bronies) will likely refuse to watch the new series out of anger that the MLP:FiM's fifth season was (in this hypothetical scenario) cancelled. But, this will only be at first. If the new series has any quality, they'll eventually come around to spending their money on the new series. If not, keep in mind that most of the MLP:FiM's fans (probably) are little girls. Frankly, they won't give a bleep.

I have already shown how overall more money can be made on a new series compared to continuing MLP:FiM, and I have rebutted most of my opponent's contentions.
Vote for Con!
Posted by Lulzy 2 years ago
Lulzy
I know this comment is very late, but uhm..spaceking? I'm a former brony, and... Dude... The fandom is dead. Move on.

Also, the phrase you said that Con would have to say if he conceded is... Part of the reason people hate bronies.
Posted by Vox_Veritas 2 years ago
Vox_Veritas
I could've picked a lower quality picture...dang.
Posted by rich123 2 years ago
rich123
bring back Barney!!!!!!