LatentDebater
spellingbee

MPAA's Current System of Rating is Flawless

Started: 1/27/2013 Category: Arts

LatentDebater

Pro

MPAA = The Motion Picture Association of America.

Flawless = without any imperfections or defects; perfect. http://oxforddictionaries.com...

Imperfection = a fault, blemish, or undesirable feature. http://oxforddictionaries.com...

Undesirable = not wanted or desirable because harmful, objectionable, or unpleasant. http://oxforddictionaries.com...

The burden of proof is on you, spellingbee (if you choose to accept).
spellingbee

Con

Well, Mr. Pro Spanking, I cannot wait to debate you again. I would like to say that MPAA rates on how violent, or sexual, or how bad of language is based on a so-called "board of experts". That's not fair because it's up for the parents to decide what their kids should and should not see. I really don't think there should be a rating system at all. Parents should be able to see a 15 minute clip of a movie and should decide whether or not they should take the little ones to see it. Also, the MPAA is completely biased. Take "The King's Speech" for example. While there was one long string of profanity, I really don't think that kids should be prohibited to seeing this without a parent. Kids can learn a few lessons and morals from this movie, but parents are afraid because it's rated R. I see nothing to refute about this statement and I look forward to you trying.
LatentDebater

Pro

Since I meant to go con, I admit that due to my dumb error I now have the burden of proof instead.

Anyway I shall do my best to debate against my views.

A flaw in a system requires the system to have an aspect of it that is not wanted or desirable... Objectionable so to say. However, you will actually find that the MPAA's rating system has no such thing.

http://www.mpaa.org...

The system has five ratings, four of which are called G for General Audience, Pg-13 and R for Restricted.

The PG-13 represents the rating that although they'd like to ban under 13's from accept that the content such as "F*CK F*CK F*CK" in The King's Speech (http://www.deadline.com...) got it the rating as they know MOST parents wouldn't want their <13 year old to hear such language so they want the parent to be with the child to whole time so that they could even cover the child's ears if they are that religious. It is used when there is slight sexual innuendo, slight cleavage or erotic scenes shown (with perhaps a little more than just a peck on the lips/cheek in terms of intimacy) and perhaps fighting scenes with blood or death scenes that aren't particularly gory but brutal nonetheless.

The R rating means it's legal for an under 17 year old to view IF their parent or guardian is present with them while watching (or has seen it from beginning to end beforehand and decided they consider it fully appropriate for their child). It will probably have sex (but not actual private parts shown), violence where there could even be something like a hand chopped off or a bone broken right in front of viewer's eyes, swearing at a very adult level (using what we would call 'the real deal' bad words that you wouldn't event use on the playground to seem bada$$), it could also perhaps have satanic or extremely atheist matters at hand that Christian parents would be disgusted for their child to see (I don't mean atheist in the sense that there is discussion about god but rather that there is direct hatred of God within the movie which I am aware could offend many people though I will happily be showing this to my children if/when I have some as I am a militant atheist). A movie where this is most prominent is perhaps The Devil's Advocate (really good movie, you should see it if you're old enough).

The G rating is suitable for all and is basically a complete lack of restriction but they just had to put a sticker so they use the letter G on it to basically say you can show ANYONE this.

The PG rating is a rating that says it probably is okay because of lack of sexual innuendo, violence and profanity but perhaps has things like kissing or slight rudeness (for example use of words like 'idiot' 'shut up' or 'loser') that although not true SWEAR words are perhaps that the more religious parents don't wish their little 5 year old child to hear and use.

The only time when they would rate something NC-17 meaning it's illegal to show anyone under 17 the movie is simply when it has direct pornography or EXTREME gore (which in many states is banned for under 21's or at least under 18's so MPAA is actually being one year cheeky haha).

So the parental argument fails absolutely.

I hope to see you raise more constructive point this round :) I'm actually happy about this little accident... I didn't realise that they only had one rating that makes it illegal to show an age group if a parent is present.
spellingbee

Con

spellingbee forfeited this round.
spellingbee

Con

spellingbee forfeited this round.
LatentDebater

Pro

LatentDebater forfeited this round.
spellingbee

Con

spellingbee forfeited this round.
LatentDebater

Pro

LatentDebater forfeited this round.
spellingbee

Con

spellingbee forfeited this round.
Posted by lit.wakefield 4 years ago
lit.wakefield
You meant to go Con? And now you're arguing for pro? xD Well you seem to be winning so far
Posted by LatentDebater 4 years ago
LatentDebater
The awkward moment when you meant to go con...