blarence
badeaumsc2014

MSC turf fields over ice rink.

Started: 11/19/2013 Category: Sports

blarence

Pro

Mount St. Charles should invest in turf fields instead of an ice rink. Turf fields would help help out the enrollment of the school way more than a new ice rink will. It's easy to say that many students do come to MSC because of the wonderful ice hockey program, although many of the hockey players are multi-sport athletes and participate in another sport or at mount. These others sports are possibly soccer, or lacrosse, two sports that will involve using the turf fields.

Lasalle Academy, and Bishop Hendricken High School are two of MSC's rivals when it comes to hockey. These two schools excel in all sports that the schools offer. In lacrosse, boys and girls, both schools compete in division one of the RIIL and in the past 4 years have finished in the top 4 each year. On the soccer fields they also compete in RIIL's division 1. Mount St. Charles on the other hand on the lacrosse field, has a boys team who struggles in RIIL division two as well as a girls team who is also on and off in division two north. I feel as if these schools excel a bit more than the mount teams because they offer a better facility, which includes turf fields, that falls into better athletes looking to go to these schools instead of Mount. If mount had turf fields, it can benefit the enrollment greatly and help mounties excel in sports.
badeaumsc2014

Con

Okay Brian, those are all fair points, but lets address the elephant. The Mount Ice Rink is very out-dated. Sometimes I wonder if it's even safe to be in there anymore. The arena is a hazard in its current state. Let alone the fact that it's probably the only ice rink in the world with chain linked fencing around the perimeter instead of glass, which goes along with my argument of the arena being out-dated. The Mount St. Charles Academy hockey program has brought a great name to our school and I feel that the hockey program deserves an investment more than turf fields do.

Mount St. Charles is a school for the community. Adelard arena is not a private rink just for Mount St. Charles. There is NEVER open ice at Adelard because of all the other high school teams or town teams that use it as their home arena. The turf fields would end up just like the tennis courts and be guarded off by fences and would only benefit the school itself. BUT, a new arena would benefit the entire community which is exactly what the Mount St. Charles mission statement is all about, bettering the community.
blarence

Pro

Ryan, you have very good points as well. I feel that what you said on how the establishment of turf fields would only benefit the sports teams and gym classes at mount is possibly accurate, although there can be ways around that if the school would like to put the work into it. They could rent out the field to local lacrosse, field hockey, and soccer teams. It could be used for tournaments and practices. Also summer camps and sports training camps could also possibly be held on the field. If the field was able to get a track around the border of it, like most turf fields, then it would benefit the track and field team and also the school would be able to hold track meets. There is much more use that can be brought out of a turf field than many would think.
badeaumsc2014

Con

badeaumsc2014 forfeited this round.
blarence

Pro

The field will take up more area for playing field and stands can be held outside the field. With a turf field, field lines can be kept in place easily. For instance, there can be white lines for football duing the fall and yellow for soccer. And in the fall, white for boys lacrosse and orange for girls lacrosse. This can help so that every team can play on the field. This is exactly what the other schools do with their beautiful turf fields (North Kingston, Lasalle, Hendricken, Cumberland, Burrillville, Portsmouth, & more). I feel that getting a turf field is a big gateway to the establishment of a football team at MSC which has been argued and looked upon in the past few years. Also, girls will benefit from the field not just in soccer or lacrosse, but also a field hockey team could be brought up at mount. This is another sport that has secretly been argued over if mount should have or not. With football and field hockey more students which is just what mount wants!!
badeaumsc2014

Con

Is there even enough room for a turf field at MSC? Is the lower field even big enough to fit a football field? Forget the idea of having a track around the border of it. Regardless of whether a football field could even fit, I can guarentee you there is no way that a track would be able to fit around it within the borders of the fences. In my own opinion, the way things at MSC should be updated/upgraded should be determined by demand and chronological order. CLEARLY the arena would be the next thing on that list. Sure, you can ask plenty of kids at Mount if they want a new turf field or if they want a new ice rink and that's because the ice rink won't benefit them, but the turf field will. You can't always get what you want. What is needed though is a new ice rink. I will go back on my point about the community. The Ice Rink is used every day by many different teams. A turf field would be worshiped over like Mr. Seaver's baseball field and would be guarded by big fences.
blarence

Pro

Construction! Of course you can't just lay down a new turf field and just have it look like Gillette Stadium. Mount would need to do the same thing that was done when putting in the new tennis courts, a little landscaping. Tons of trees were cut down to place in the new tennis courts and I feel that to put in a new turf field then the school would need to cut down some more trees deep in the far end of the lower field. Once that is done, sure! I feel that a turf field would fit! If not, then they would search about the campus to put in one just like they did for the tennis courts. But lets be realistic, a turf field maybe costs $700,000- $1,000,000. A new arena would maybe cost triple that, plus quite a bit more. New arena talk has been going around forever at mount. "Next year", "In two years", "By 2014", "By 2018"...... NEVER! I, as a hockey player here at MSC, feel like Mount is never going to get the job done with a new arena.
badeaumsc2014

Con

How do you even know that the land where the trees are is owned by MSC? You're saying a lot of "what ifs" when the only positive and valid point made here is that we NEED a new ice rink! The ice rink now is so out dated as I've stated many times already. I am clearly not alone on my opinions because everyone knows we need a new ice rink. I'll cut this short because I don't have much else to say to your last point except that it is a necessary investment.
blarence

Pro

I say my "what if's" mostly because the thought of turf fields hasn't quite hit MSC yet. Sometimes i really feel like saying "Open your eyes mount!" It's really something that could help the school out tremendously. It's certainly helped the other catholic schools in the state. A new arena would benefit the hockey players at MSC. The 65-75 hockey players at mount. A number that has decreased over the years. A new turf field benefits the lacrosse and soccer players at mount. Theres probably 80-90 just lacrosse players at MSC and that number has been growing and growing! Many of these athletes are also hockey players! Now when mount upgrades to turf fields, the number of soccer and lacrosse players will increase which will probably help out the number of hockey players as well.

Now also being a school located in New England, an area that gets hot summers and cold winters, our grass fields get it all. And they certainly get a beating from all the teams working hard on them. Now with turf fields, it doesn't matter what the weather is. The field will be in great condition all year long no matter how many teams play on it. A hockey rink doesn't quite have that much of an effect whether it is hot or cold outside. It doesn't get a beating from the hot sun and cold winters like the poor grass field.
badeaumsc2014

Con

What you just said goes both ways. A new turf field could bring more lacrosse or soccer players, but I can guarantee you a new ice rink would do the same thing for hockey players. Hockey at MSC is our most successful sport by far. If you walk into the gym and look at our state championship banners, nothing compares to the Varsity Hockey banner. Hockey is successful in Division 1 and I find that it would be much more important to continue this legacy of Mount Hockey.

There has to be a reason why Mount has not even considered a turf field as well. Maybe to those who have a say in what happens, a turf field isn't practical because we just do not have the room for it.

A new Ice Rink will not just benefit the 65-75 hockey players at mount either for I have given the point of many other schools or teams that use the arena as well. What seems to be the most practical investment for MSC would be a new Ice rink. I am not denying that a turf field would be cool, but the arena is way out-dated and is SCREAMING for renovation.
Posted by Shaikhlymsc2014 3 years ago
Shaikhlymsc2014
Although I agree that turf fields would be an amazing addition to the school, when people think of MSC they think of hockey. Needless to say, the rink is not up-to-par with these expectations.
Posted by Jdg4444 3 years ago
Jdg4444
There should be a new ice rink, it is long over due and is well deserved.
Posted by cconnaughton 3 years ago
cconnaughton
I agree with Brian that a turf field would be a good idea for MSC because most students use the lower field and a turf field would be nice to have.