Nalydmerc
Mikeee

Mac OS X is a better Operating System than Windows

Started: 11/28/2011 Category: Technology

Nalydmerc

Pro

I believe this will be a great learning experience for me as this is my first debate on DDO.

I think this will be a fun first debate. I will be arguing that Mac OS X is a better computer Operating System than Windows.

1st Round to be acceptance only, please.
Mikeee

Con

First round is for acceptance only, Pro starts...
Nalydmerc

Pro

Before beginning let me point out that I have multiple computers and use both Operating Systems regularly.

In my argument, I will make my points concerning the following criteria:
Security--How well the Operating System can protect itself; How vulnerable it is to viruses/malicious software, etc..
Ease of Use/User friendliness--How easily the OS can be used/operated.
Stability/Reliability--How likely the OS is to have errors/system failures. The more stable the OS, the less errors and failures that occur.
Features—How many features the OS can use/how easily it can use them.

Security:
Currently, Mac is much less susceptible to viruses, etc. than Windows simply because it is in the Minority. As of October 2011, a mere 8.9% of recorded users used Mac OS X on their computer, versus 44.7% for Windows 7, 5.5% for Vista, and 33.4% for Windows XP. Placing yourself in a hacker's shoes, think of yourself writing a virus. Would you not want to develop the virus for the Operating System the majority of computers run on? Hackers, though not 100% percent of the time, choose the Operating System that has the most users liable to be hit when developing a virus.

User Friendliness:
Focusing particularly in the field of installing 3rd party programs and applications this round, Mac OS X has very much the upper hand. To install most applications, the user normally downloads a file that contains the application, needing only to drag and drop the file into any directory. This could be the desktop or, usually, the applications folder. The majority of programs are contained in a single ‘.app' file, which contains all of the needed components to run said program. Un-installing only requires the drag and drop of the .app file into the trash bin.
Windows is very different. Usually, every program has it's own installer, which places the components of the program in various places in the program files. Though they are usually gathered into a single folder in the program files, this still requires more effort in uninstalling. Programs usually have un-installers that do this for the user.

Stability:
For this section, I will refer to the information provided by this person: http://answers.yahoo.com...

Features:
This section will refer to the ‘vanilla' OS system. That is, the features of the Operating System with no 3rd party software.
Mac OS X has more features than Windows. In the field of hardware, most, if not all Mac computers come standard with Bluetooth—a very useful tool when communicating with other devices. With this, you can send/receive files from cell phones, use wireless keyboards, and do other things. Mac OS X has features such as a program called disk utility. This allows formatting of CD's, SD cards, and other storage devices, and allows for things like multiple partitions on a single disk, and many advanced features.
Mac OS X also features applications like Garageband, which allows for easy music creation. Garageband is very user friendly, sporting pre-made loops than can easily be put together. It is also built with professional music composition in mind with advanced features such as advanced audio units, all standard. This is but one of the very useful design/development programs that come standard with Mac.
Mikeee

Con

Mikeee forfeited this round.
Nalydmerc

Pro

Because con on forfeited the last round due to running out of time (probably for RL issues,) I will only use this round to correct an error I made when I made my opening argument.

In my opening argument, I forgot to list my source for the percentage of Mac OS users vs. Windows users. My source was:
http://www.w3schools.com...
Mikeee

Con

Mikeee forfeited this round.
Nalydmerc

Pro

I'll pass again this round, as con still has yet to post an argument...
Mikeee

Con

Mikeee forfeited this round.
Mikeee

Con

Mikeee forfeited this round.
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
Great topic! I do try to limit myself to 3 debates at a time though.
Posted by TheTruthAnalyst 5 years ago
TheTruthAnalyst
If you said Ubuntu I would agree with you :)

That being said, I can't bring myself to justify Windows. It's only good for win-only programs.