tahoe8
Phil

Mac is more user friendly and more efficient than a PC

Started: 12/3/2007 Category: Technology

tahoe8

Pro

I used a PC for about 15 years and 2 years ago, I changed to a Mac. This was a brilliant decision on my part. I recently purchased a PC for my mom and Windows has become so complicated and confusing that I am tempted to return it and get her a Mac (this coming from someone who knew his way around Windows very well).

Aside from the obvious luxuries of being able to just plug in my iPod and iPhone, Mac recognizes any device I plug into it and doesn't geive me headaches like a PC did, having to download drivers, etc. constantly. Mac allows me to keep all my files, pictures and music organized... and yes, Apple created iTunes which is just another reason why Mac's are better, especially because you can download the program onto a PC and it is very simple to use...
Phil

Con

I frequently hear the same arguments regarding Mac versus PC. Arguments like, "Mac's are so easy," and "PC's are so technical." I find myself wondering how many of the people making these false claims are receiving endorsements directly from Steve Jobs. Conspiracy theories aside, there are several reasons why in fact Mac is not more user friendly than PC.

The first and most obvious reason, there's no CTRL-Z. How the heck can a PC user migrating to Mac survive without the "Undo" shortcut? Don't you know how many typos we PC dorks make?

While using my brother's (poor misguided sole who thinks that being different is better) Mac I also found there's no CTRL-Z, CTRL-V, and no back button on the mouse. If 90% of the computer users use PC's (1), and we can't easily migrate to Mac, then by definition doesn't that mean that Mac is less user friendly?

Other Apple products are just as difficult to use. Apparently the developers of iPod decided against having an option called "volume". No, they have to name it "Volume Limit". In the words of the Sheppard, "what the flock?" I guess the point is, that if you're not thinking logically, or even sanely, then Mac is the right computer for you.

(1) http://macdailynews.com...
tahoe8

Pro

Unfortuantely you left the door wide open on your argument...

There is an "Undo" shortuct but instead of CTRL button, there is the "Apple" button (yes it has an apple on it). This replaces the CTRL button so you can "Undo", "Cut", "Copy" etc.

The back button on the mouse depends on the type of mouse you have, and I don't have a mouse with the back button option simply because I have not become accustomed to using it. If I were used to using it, you can simply plug in ANY mouse with a back button and VOILA (sp??) you can navigate backwards like PC's did with Windows Vista (I'm patting myself on the back for that comment!!)

What's the difference if it is called Volume Limit or Volume? Why live within the confines of what society deems the "proper labels?"

Lastly, by no means am I PC (politically correct), therefore I wouldn't get the endorsement from Steve Jobs because I am not a tree hugger...
Phil

Con

You have misunderstood my argument. I'm quite certain that Apple has put functions on the Mac similar to copy, paste, and cut. My point is that if 90% of computer users already use "A", and "B" is not intuitive, then by definition "B" cannot be easier than "A". In other words, while Mac may be easier for an infant on an island to learn than a PC, for the rest of us, it's no more user friendly than a flying a plane.

Regarding "efficiency," the second part of the debate topic, you have provided no evidence to support this claim. For something to be more efficient, it must get the job done faster than the alternative option(s). If we took 100 random people off of the street and asked them to list all of their friends in a word processor, and all of their phone numbers in a spreadsheet, 90% wouldn't be able to do so on a Mac, but could do it on a PC. It stands to reason that Mac is in fact only more efficient in a bubble. I know you Mac loyalists would like to live in a bubble, but we just can't ignore the real world.

The real indicator that Mac is not easier or more efficient is the marketplace. Don't get me wrong, I love the Apple ads that stroke Steve Job's ego by comparing the cool geeky kid with the overweight nerd. They are an obvious reference to the age old fight between Jobs and Gates. However, the marketplace tells us that the PC is the preferred product, not Mac.
tahoe8

Pro

tahoe8 forfeited this round.
Phil

Con

Dude, I can't believe you forfeited your closing argument. I thought you were going to finish this debate. :(

Maybe the next one Brother.
Posted by gack1224 9 years ago
gack1224
You mean PRO won the debate...
Posted by CaiMoon 9 years ago
CaiMoon
Con won the debate, but I still like PCs more. I'm a gamer. Not an idiot. :)
Posted by gack1224 9 years ago
gack1224
Macs are better than PCs not only because of design but because of usability. While PCs still control much of the computer/software market, Apple is showing that new users and those who are "cross-overs" can easily and comfortably switch to the Mac interface. I contend that the reason Windows is still dominant is that the VARIOUS operating systems are used with just about every computer game and network. It is used because most other people use it. However, people will soon (and have already) find out that switching to Mac DOES NOT negate integrating with a PC. In fact, PCs are much more difficult to file share simply because their VARIOUS systems aren't compatible. Mac is compatible with just about everything.

Mac is obviously more sleek and easier to use. Just use one.
Posted by adamh 9 years ago
adamh
I've used both extensively and Mac is the clear winner. When you have serious business to do use the Mac! The workflow is so much smoother. Programs load quicker, everything is easily accessible, it's just a clean cut, no nonsense version of a Windows PC.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Hmm? Windows might be friendly for you, but that has no bearing on whether it's also friendly for people I can understand :D
Posted by uplade2 9 years ago
uplade2
he user friendly interface in windows and the original design. Mac is just a giant menu
Posted by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
I have never used a Mac and, at times, very frustrated with a PC so, even though this was to be a fun debate, I was curious. Some good points were made on both sides but the deciding factor is that tahoe8 forfeited the debate. Vote goes to Phil.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Ah. Well consider comments like my previous one the moral equivalent of an amicus brief :D.
Posted by Phil 9 years ago
Phil
Who am I debating here? Tahoe8 or Ragnar_Rahl? Lol. Geeze, why don't you just tell him how to win!

Tahoe8 is my brother and we're just having fun. He's a baseball/Mac boy, and I'm a football/PC man (oh oh oh...Tim Allen grunts).
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
B is intuitive however, so premise invalid. Just about everything windows uses ctrl for, mac replaces with ⌘ (or apple as n00bs refer to it. Learn that one piece of info and all your shortcuts translate. And your argument could even be reversed for those who use Mac first. What do you mean by "there is no back button on the mouse?" I have never, ever seen a mouse with a button that has a "back" function, on windows or mac (I have used both). If you mean "right" button ( a wholly different matter), most mac users do in fact purchase a mouse that has such a function, it's only the default that doesn't. Also, holding down ctrl while clicking equals a right click.

The marketplace does not designate efficiency, just popularity. Consider the sheer amount of viruses PCs get. Then look at mac, not even a tiny fraction in comparison. In fact, there wasn't even a known virus on OSX until 2006, 5 years after release (and it only works on the mysterious people using iChat software, most mac users prefer MSN Messenger or mac. Indeed, it may be because of the popularity that Windows receives it's inefficiency (I've been using a mac for the past few years, my mother uses a PC, her pc has had to be repaired and upgraded multiple times whereas under similar conditions I have never had to see any sort of expert to fix a Mac).

I highly doubt that 90% of people off the street are familiar with spreadsheets, and that all of those would find it so difficult to click the W and X off the bottom bar (for those macs equipped with Microsoft office) or Appleworks, for those macs (older macs usually) which are not.

Keep in mind that Mac's market is almost entirely single-user computers and people doing things like graphic arts or video production for a living (along with education) and so Macs are essentially "in" the bubble you have conceded they are more efficient in. They don't target mainstream businesses, because they know most have binding contracts with Microsoft anyway.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by DebatePro 7 years ago
DebatePro
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by Xie-Xijivuli 8 years ago
Xie-Xijivuli
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by Phil 8 years ago
Phil
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by ChevySdyme99 9 years ago
ChevySdyme99
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by Sgtdap 9 years ago
Sgtdap
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by SandlasJuagas 9 years ago
SandlasJuagas
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
tahoe8PhilTied
Vote Placed by Karoz 9 years ago
Karoz
tahoe8PhilTied