massvideogamer
Defenestrator

Macintosh is better than Dell

Started: 1/24/2008 Category: Technology

massvideogamer

Pro

Macintosh computers can do so much more than Dell/Windows computers can, Dell computers break alot easier and get viruses and cookies like crazy so they dont even work
Defenestrator

Con

VOTERS: I do not want this debate to turn into a popularity poll, please vote based on the arguments, not which side of the line you personally fall on.

First of all, you are stating that Macintosh computers are better than Dell computers period. The fact of the matter is that you leave no gray area. You claim that this is an absolute truth and therefore I will go the way of showing that this is not true. Macs are great machines for graphic design (I use them all the time in my photography exploits) and music creation; however, that does not make them all around better than Dell/PC computers as this debate topic claims.

One example of the advantages Dell/PC computers have over Macintosh computers is their appeal to corporate offices. The Dell corporation (as well as other PC manufacturers) creates computers at many different price ranges in order to satisfy all areas of the market and provide for those who need networking in their offices. This arguably makes PCs better in the corporate realm.

PRO ARGUMENT: "Dell computers break a lot easier and get viruses and cookies like crazy so they don't even work"

This is the crux of your argument, and it is flawed. First of all cookies aren't all bad. According to Wikipedia: "HTTP cookies, sometimes known as web cookies or just cookies, are parcels of text sent by a server to a web browser and then sent back unchanged by the browser each time it accesses that server. HTTP cookies are used for authenticating, tracking, and maintaining specific information about users, such as site preferences or the contents of their electronic shopping carts." Macintosh computers also have cookies, if they didn't your information would not be stored, and it would cost you a lot of time. Furthermore, cookies can be turned off if you don't want them.

As far as viruses are concerned. This is the main argument that mac users make to show that their product is better than a PC. However; this argument is flawed. There are many very good free Anti-Virus programs out there such as AVG which will keep your computer clean from viruses with daily updates. Any person who is careful about what they download won't even run into a problem with viruses on a PC and those who are reckless who have a decent Anti-Virus program should be fine as well, and the computer will not cease to work as you claim in your opening argument.

In conclusion, Macs are good computers for those who are experiencing a computer for the first time and don't know the basic steps to protect a computer/network, but for those who do, the points that you have presented do not apply therefore it leaves it up to a matter of preference, and when it is a matter of preference, neither of the two choices are "better."
massvideogamer

Pro

Defenestrator, thank you for accepting this debate, and i got to say, for a new debater like myself, you are not going to make this an easy debate for me, but be warned, it will not be easy for you either.

First off i would like to say that the reason that Mac computers are more money, is because they are of much higher quality than that of the cheap Dells companies often buy. Consider all the software for photos, movie editing, dvd authoring, music composition and web site creation that are all included in the price of a Mac. Not to mention peace of mind with NO virus threats, and in my opinion, a much better operating system. Plus, you can run Windows if you have to. I don't think you can run the Mac OS on a PC yet.

Now is where I point out all of Dells flaws.

Many people who have ever purchased a Dell, will tell you unimaginable horror stories. In one person's case case, had ordered a laptop, which had been defective. Dell had sent him a replacement, and it had been defective. Dell had sent him a third one, and that laptop had been defective. He had then asked for a refund. Dell had promised the refund, but they had never issued it for over a year. He had to file a claim as against them to finally recover his lost money. The judge in my case had even told Dell to clean up their act.

With all possible respect, Dell is cheap. Their notebooks are usually warped, and their notebooks never sit flat on a desk. Their hard drives die often for some reason. Read the reviews. Dell has the worst customer service in the industry right now.

With a Mac, you are getting the best. May family has purchased over half a dozen Macs over the years, and we have never had a single issue. Their support via phone or at an Apple Store is the best in the industry.

Macs are built better, stronger, and are far better looking. Dell does not even come close. Sure Dell packs their computers with many cool things, but all of those cool things are of a very poor quality.

Comparing a Macintosh computer to a Dell computer is like comparing a fresh crisp apple to a mouldy lemon.

(please know that in this argument, i mean to show no disrespect towards Dell, im am just proving a point)
Defenestrator

Con

This is my first debate here as well, so I'm doing my research to try my best here to make this memorable no matter which way it ends up going, I'm sure it will be hard fought on both sides:

Massvideogamer's Point: "First off i would like to say that the reason that Mac computers are more money, is because they are of much higher quality than that of the cheap Dells companies often buy."

A Porsche 911 is also made of much higher quality materials than a Toyota Prius, but that doesn't make it more practical for city driving, a Porsche is meant to be a fast car with flashy design that gets horrible MPG whereas a Prius is built for everyday simple tasks with no frills. Now that analogy only goes so far, but you are still arguing for Macs being better with no qualifications. If this debate were "Macs are better at graphical design than PCs" I would not have taken up this argument, but in your opening you use better without any qualifications.

The point still stands that Dell (PC) computers are all that's needed for simple office tasks and networking therefore all the high quality parts are not necessary which makes Dell computers for businesses the best cost-effective solution. Obviously a high priced mac is more money than a computer that is built to run spreadsheets and email. Furthermore, an expensive dell has the same parts in it as a Mac does. Macs now use PC parts, they started running Intel Processors just like Dell and other PCs do. They both use DDR2 ECC RAM cards as well as the same Hard Drives and other components, so how can you say that Macs use superior parts to high-end PCs when they use the same parts?

Massvideogamer's Point: "Consider all the software for photos, movie editing, dvd authoring, music composition and web site creation that are all included in the price of a Mac."

Again, this is great for some people who are into that stuff, but it is not necessary for many office functions. When features are "included" it gives the manufacturer a reason to charge a higher base price than if these features were "optional" and therefore the company would be paying for things they don't need.

Massvideogamer's Point: "Not to mention peace of mind with NO virus threats, and in my opinion, a much better operating system. Plus, you can run Windows if you have to. I don't think you can run the Mac OS on a PC yet."

As far as your virus argument, I have always said and will always maintain that with a good free anti-virus program PCs won't have problems with viruses as well. Your opinion on the quality of the OS is not important in the debate because it could just lead to a war of opinions (i.g. I could say that I prefer Windows to Mac because of XXXX, but then we are at an impasse since you can't change personal preference). As far as running Windows on a Mac, sure you can, but since I have shown that they are made from the same parts, buying a mac to run windows and paying more for it seems rather silly to me.

Massvideogamer's Point: "Many people who have ever purchased a Dell, will tell you unimaginable horror stories. In one person's case case, had ordered a laptop, which had been defective. Dell had sent him a replacement, and it had been defective. Dell had sent him a third one, and that laptop had been defective. He had then asked for a refund. Dell had promised the refund, but they had never issued it for over a year. He had to file a claim as against them to finally recover his lost money. The judge in my case had even told Dell to clean up their act. With all possible respect, Dell is cheap. Their notebooks are usually warped, and their notebooks never sit flat on a desk. Their hard drives die often for some reason. Read the reviews. Dell has the worst customer service in the industry right now."

The first part is all anecdotal, just as me saying that I've never had any problems with 5 Dells I've owned in my life including two laptops which were never warped. I know that is not evidence and could easily lead to a anecdote-off, so here are the numbers from the reviews that you cite: Dell up until this year was year-in and year-out the top, or close to the top of the rankings for customer support and satisfaction. This year they had a drop-off, but in response have pledged 120 million dollars to rectify the low marks. You try to portray Dell as a monster corporation with your story, but the fact is I can find horror stories about any product. This one year of low ratings cannot vilify a company after their track record has shown great overall service. Your points about notebooks never being able to sit flat on a table I feel are also gross misrepresentations and exaggerations of the truth as I have never had a problem with anything you have claimed (I know its anecdotal, but I don't know any other way to disprove another equally anecdotal and exaggerated argument without surveying every laptop owner).

Megavideogamer's Point: "With a Mac, you are getting the best. May family has purchased over half a dozen Macs over the years, and we have never had a single issue. Their support via phone or at an Apple Store is the best in the industry. Macs are built better, stronger, and are far better looking. Dell does not even come close. Sure Dell packs their computers with many cool things, but all of those cool things are of a very poor quality."

As I have shown earlier, the parts used in a mac are today the same as in a PC.(they weren't five years ago, but they are today because Macs realized that PC parts were better). Your story about your family is again, anecdotal, and so is the part about their aesthetic qualities, as many people would disagree with that claim. Also, you don't list examples of what the Dell comes with that are of poor quality, you have to say what it comes with that is of poor quality.

In conclusion, Dell computers are made out of the same parts as a Mac is today from the Intel Processor to the Hard Drive. The only difference between them is the operating system and the price. The OS is a personal preference, and the price advantage goes to Dell, especially for Office settings as they specialize in that area.
massvideogamer

Pro

Defenestrator, you bring up a good point with how Macs and Dells are made with the same materials, but that seems to be your only point. They may have SIMILAR hardware, but even then parts of Mac are better. Even though they are made out of the same parts, the software in the hardware far exceeds that of Dell.

In comparison to Dell hardware, Macintosh computers have:

Better speakers
Dual-layer DVD burner (Dell doesn't even offer this option, but rather one for a Blueray burner @ + $500 US)
Thinner, lighter, quieter, with better battery life
Not a "webcam," but rather an iSight camera that delivers full-motion video. There is a difference.
An Expresscard-34 slot for expansion
Firewire 400 and 800 ports, as well as USB 2

There are some things you get with a Dell that you won't get with a Mac, but these things are generally far outweighed by the additions that come exclusively with the Mac.

But then, you must look at the quality of the hardware you're getting. There's no comparison; Macs are simply better-built, using better materials. And, the support and repair coverage for Macs is unparalleled.

Now, let's talk about usage and software...

With a Mac there's no additional software that must be purchased, something that cannot be said of a Dell. Plus, the software that comes with a Mac for doing many tasks is far, far better- providing far, far better results- than any comparable software available for Windows. I have seen some videos that a Windows computers have made, and they aren't exactly what one would call "great". I am used to what can be achieved in OS X, and what they are able to produce is truly embarrassing.

In a closing statement i would like to say that a Mac computer is like a fully completed jigsaw puzzle, each great feature being a puzzle piece, and a Dell is the same jigsaw puzzle but with missing pieces
Defenestrator

Con

First I would like to thank you for posting this debate, I had a lot of fun with it and I hope you did.

Massvideogamer Said: "They may have SIMILAR hardware, but even then parts of Mac are better. Even though they are made out of the same parts, the software in the hardware far exceeds that of Dell."

First you say that they have similar parts, then you say they have the same parts, you contradict yourself there. The truth is they are made out of the same parts and the software is really your only difference. Each company found its own niche with the features it offers.

You then list the things that a mac has that a PC doesn't. None of these things make the system better:

"Better speakers
An Expresscard-34 slot for expansion
Firewire 400 and 800 ports, as well as USB 2"

1. "Better Speakers" - this is debatable, but even so, any speaker that comes with a computer is not nearly as good as one you can buy elsewhere so getting a mac for the speakers seems foolish as for $25 dollars you can go to the store and get speakers that are better than anything that comes standard.

The next four things you list are not necessarily a good thing. Apple puts these things in "standard" so that they can charge more. If you are paying for something that you don't need then its not a bonus for the computer to have that standard. All these pieces can also be purchased at a Tech store if they are desired, or from the manufacturer as an add-on for a fraction of the price. Also, PC computers come with USB2, and Firewire is not nearly as useful as USB ports.

Massvideogamer said: "But then, you must look at the quality of the hardware you're getting. There's no comparison; Macs are simply better-built, using better materials. And, the support and repair coverage for Macs is unparalleled."

Again you try to claim that they are made with different parts when you earlier said that they are made with the same parts. You are re-hashing your arguments without presenting new information

Massvideogamer said: "With a Mac there's no additional software that must be purchased, something that cannot be said of a Dell. Plus, the software that comes with a Mac for doing many tasks is far, far better- providing far, far better results- than any comparable software available for Windows."

As I said before just because the software is included doesn't mean that you aren't paying for it. You admitted that Macs are more expensive than PCs and this is why. Furthermore, Microsoft Word and Excel are still the standards in the marketplace as well as in the education realm and they come standard with Windows, but have to be purchased with a mac.

Massvideogamer said: "I have seen some videos that a Windows computers have made, and they aren't exactly what one would call "great". I am used to what can be achieved in OS X, and what they are able to produce is truly embarrassing."

I even conceded the point to you that Macs are better at making multimedia, but you haven't even addressed the points I've made about PC/Dells being better in the workplace, not everybody is interested in producing videos therefore that advantage it has over PCs is not decisive in determining the overall betterness (I know its not a word) of a Mac or a PC.

Massvideogamer said: "In a closing statement i would like to say that a Mac computer is like a fully completed jigsaw puzzle, each great feature being a puzzle piece, and a Dell is the same jigsaw puzzle but with missing pieces"

This analogy doesn't work as I have pointed out earlier, all these options are not vital to everybody's needs. The Mac is a luxury computer that costs more whereas a PC is a more cost-effective option with a greater level of customizability (again another non-word lol) which suits some people better than others. You assume everybody's needs are the same, which they are not.

My question to everybody is why would a corporation need all these bells and whistles on their systems? You still haven't shown that Macs are better in the office environment and your topic "Macintosh is better than dell" plus your opening argument that doesn't qualify the term "better" implies that you mean to debate that Macintosh is better than Dell in all areas, and here I am showing you that Dells are better than Macs in the office environment and you haven't even addressed this argument, ergo you haven't met your burden of proof.

As an aside, I really enjoyed this debate, and I would be more than willing to debate you again as I don't mean any of the criticisms I have included in my arguments to be personal attacks. I also encourage the voters to vote based on the arguments and not on your personal opinion to maintain the integrity of the debates.
Posted by X_mitchell 4 years ago
X_mitchell
I disscussed this with my friend that when he got his new Mac that he has a lot of things that he never would use and that's why they cost so much but we agreed that a Dell was one of the worst now if you are telling the truth that both machines use the same parts just diffrent OS then I totally understand that they are the same thing if not the Dell is better because most people don't need those things Mac's have on them and even if you did you could buy them from a retailer of downloud them of 3rd party sites. Please get back to me if the things that you said about the same parts is true thanks.
Posted by JonJon 6 years ago
JonJon
It turned into a popularity contest. I think the mac-pc debate is silly, and I'm a programmer. If Macs were so superior, then why did the opt for the PCs brain? lol

Mac is a lot of hype. Kind of a cult. Most people put together videos, play with pictures, type documents, get email and surf the internet. That is NOT a power user. All those tasks can be done equally as well on both systems. Most of my friends that have macs spend their time fixing their crashes and spending ridiculous money for periferals. Silly really. It's only about software... It's about what you use your computer for. "having a mac" is not going to make your email come in faster. It's caled BRANDING. Dells are fine... they're just boxes that do stuff. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a tool. Mac is ok. Just a box that does stuff, nothing more, nothing less... just costs a helluva lot more.
Posted by Defenestrator 6 years ago
Defenestrator
well, my high hopes for this website are dashed, I thought one could debate and get feedback on the quality of my arguments, but the score (atm 11-9 PRO) and the feedback differ so then I feel it is reasonable to assume that most of the votes are "fanboy" votes and haven't actually critiqued the argument.

Ah well it was fun, thanks for your comments KON and Paz, I take them to heart and I mean no disrespect to Massvideogamer who I enjoyed debating and hope to debate again.
Posted by pazmusik 6 years ago
pazmusik
I personally believe that Macs blow Dells away... but I voted for Defenestrator. His arguments were more sound and balanced. Massvideo made some good points but he failed to back up his claims with evidence. If there is an argument over which speakers are better, we need to see the actual manufacturers' part or catalog # of those speakers, we need to see frequency dynamic rating charts, we need to see bass response charts, ohm ratings, total output, etc. THEN we can decide which speakers are better.

And that's just for speakers alone... such evidence is necessary for ALL claims. You can't just state that "Macs have better speakers". You have to show your evidence.

-paz
Posted by K0N 6 years ago
K0N
I am voting for con because he doesn't take sides and tries to prove that neither machine is better than the other...

I have a mac and a pc and I use them both for many different things...
Vote Placed by X_mitchell 4 years ago
X_mitchell
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 6 years ago
massvideogamer
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by Defenestrator 6 years ago
Defenestrator
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by Armageddon23 6 years ago
Armageddon23
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 6 years ago
cliffsofdover
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by mynameisjonas 6 years ago
mynameisjonas
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by RantingRob 6 years ago
RantingRob
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by eastern_european 6 years ago
eastern_european
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 6 years ago
griffinisright
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied
Vote Placed by JonJon 6 years ago
JonJon
massvideogamerDefenestratorTied