PatriotPerson
EducatedMind27

Macklemore is one of the greatest modern rappers.

PatriotPerson
Started: 2/5/2014 Category: Music

PatriotPerson

Pro

I believe that Macklemore is one of, if not THE greatest modern rapper. My opponent will argue otherwise.

Round 1 is for acceptance.
EducatedMind27

Con

This argument all depends on what you determine "good rap" to be. To many it is the captivating beats, to others it can be the catchy yet meaningful lyrics. I am in now way stating that Macklemore is a bad rapper, but what I AM saying is that there is no way he is one of the greatest modern rappers. Heres why:
Macklemore is certainly not the only rapper to talk about controversial topics, he is just the only one to get mainstream attention for it. Much of his attention should be credited to Ryan Lewis, his producer. It could be argued that the success of Macklemore should be attributed to Lewis given that Macklemore's flow isn't necessarily the greatest but the general public seems to enjoy his catchy beats.
You also have to think about the rappers right now who many consider to be better than him like Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Lupe Fiasco, etc.
PatriotPerson

Pro

First of all, Macklemore raps about both silly and deep things. If you're looking for a silly song, head to Thrift Shop, Castle, or White Walls. If you're looking for something deep, try Same Love, Otherside, Thin Line, and Wing$. It's obvious why the silly songs are silly, but why are the deep songs deep?
-Same Love promotes marriage equality and is about gays having equal rights.
-Otherside warns kids to stay away from drugs and criticizes rappers that advocate and rap about it.
-Thin Line is about sadness and a struggling relationship.
-Wing$ is about how becoming a material person that cares so much about how they look will hurt you later in life
If you're looking for just an upbeat, dance-to song, try Can't Hold Us or And We Danced.

Macklemore is a much better person than most rappers. He doesn't rap about drugs and boobs like most others do, he raps about good things.

More next round.
EducatedMind27

Con

Better person does not equal better rapper. If you dig deeper into rap you'll find that there are a lot of guys who are doing good in their community. its only most of the mainstream rap that promotes "drugs and boobies" as you said. Bottom line is Macklemore doesn't have much to show for besides maybe 4 so-so songs. Just because someone raps about "good things" doesn't mean he's a better rapper.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Yes, I know good person does not equal good rapper.

But Macklemore is a good rapper. He flows greatly with rhymes that create not only meaningful lyrics, but catchy ones. Yes, many of his songs can be compared as "slower-paced" than other rap songs, but if you listen to Can't Hold Us and Thrift Shop especially, you can tell that he can rap pretty fast.

Macklemore does not have just "4 so-so songs", he has many great songs. Over the years, he has produced:
- Two studio albums (The Language of My World and The Heist)
- Three EPs (Open Your Eyes, The VS. EP, and the VS. Redux)
- Eight singles as lead artist (Love Song, The Town, My Oh My, Wing$, Can't Hold Us, Same Love, Thrift Shop and White Walls)
- Twelve music videos (The Town, My Oh My, Irish Celebration, Wing$, Otherside, And We Danced, Victory Lap, Thrift Shop, Same Love, Can't Hold Us, White Walls, and Gold Rush)
- One mix-tape (The Unplanned Mixtape)

As you can see, Macklemore is very successful. He is one of the very few rappers to appear on the top charts. Did you know he's gotten the iTunes #1 song, and the Grammy awards for Best New Artist and Best Rap Album and Best Rap Song? The Heist also ended as the second most popular album out of all genres.
EducatedMind27

Con

EducatedMind27 forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

It's a shame that my opponent forfeits.
EducatedMind27

Con

EducatedMind27 forfeited this round.
EducatedMind27

Con

EducatedMind27 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
PatriotPersonEducatedMind27Tied