Fkribs
killcam550

Macs Are Better Than PCs

killcam550
Started: 12/12/2009 Category: Technology

Fkribs

Pro

I am new to Debate.org and I wanted to get a feel for the site. Because of this, I chose a fairly simple topic to argue, that being "Macs are better than PCs". I understand this is a mostly opinionated topic and based largely on preference but please, humor me!
My argument is that Macs are better than PCs. I agree with this for several reasons. One, being that I have both owned a PC and a Mac and the Mac has functioned at a much higher level than the PC both in graphic quality and in processing capability. The second, is that, although competing with a much larger companies, Apple has managed to keep up with innovative ideas and incorporating a sleek design as well. Thirdly, Macs are just simply easier to use. You can take organize your data with simple, easy to use programs that come installed on the Mac. You can switch between spaces with just a push of a button as well as other ways of dividing your work in an easily accessible way. Lastly, the design is easy to navigate and understand. Not, only is the system easy to use on its own but, if a person cannot fully comprehend how to do something, they can simply search their question on the help menu always available at the top of the screen.
I thank whoever decides to debate this topic and I wish them luck!
killcam550

Con

http://yasik.kiev.ua...

To simply put this in words:

1. A PC is given more customizable options and therefore is given the bigger capacity to have more graphic and function capabilities.

2. Apple was one of the first computer companies ever created so it is not hard to say that they are easily at the head of computer technology of the time. They were the first company offered the chance at producing the mouse so they are hardly anything less than a top-notch company.

3. Macs are simpler and easier to use to the beginner. PC's again have more customizable options and have more tools that the more advanced user might need.
Fkribs

Pro

Ha, that link was pretty funny! Thanks for accepting this debate!

Let me start out by saying that I agree with you, PCs do have more customizing ability to enhance function and ability and that's all well. But I also think that that could also be seen as a large flaw or weakness if you will. What you have essentially stated in your argument is that PCs, although starting with only the basic necessities, can be modified and beefed up in order to bypass a Mac if the person has the right know-how and the time/money to spare. With Macs however, you are already given those modifications that you would have to go to extra measures to put on a PC.
Now, sure a person could buy and modify a PC with the right skills, but what's to stop that person from also modifying a Mac. Assuming that the normal person has the capability to modify a PC like it seems you have, then there should be nothing stopping that same person from performing similar operations to a Mac. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that you seem to be assuming that the average person is capable of modifying a computer, when in reality, the average computer is afraid to open it up, let alone tinker with its memory or RAM.
Also you brought up the point that Apple was one of the first computer companies. This is true but the personal computer predates Apples by a full year, giving the PC plenty of time to get a leg up in the computer industry. Steve Wozniak designed the Apple I in 1976 while Ed Roberts created the first actual "Personal Computer", the Altair 8800, in 1975. Although only a year, this shows the PC was created before the Apple I, showing that in no way should the order of events excuse PCs with a chronological handicap...
killcam550

Con

Macs start off with the same basic software components first of all. The PC has more different advanced components that you can only put on a PC than a mac does to have on a mac. What you have said is simply that the mac already starts off with better software but that is not true.
What stops a person from modifying a mac is compatibility issues. Many advanced software components tend to have compatibility issues when on macs when PCs do not.
I also only stated that apple was an old company because you stated "although competing with a much larger companies, Apple has managed to keep up with innovative ideas and incorporating a sleek design as well." I was just trying to state that it is a much larger company then you state it to be. It was one of the first computer companies and it still makes high quality computers to compete with PC's hence MAC vs PC videos have been created.
Fkribs

Pro

Perhaps I should rephrase my earlier statement. I stated that Macs are competing against much larger companies. What I meant to say is that Apple is only one company competing with many different PC companies of equivalent size. All of these similar companies are selling the same item which generalizes as being called the PC while only Apple sells a Mac to which all of these PCs are competing with.
You stated the same argument as earlier that a PC has a wider variety of "advanced components" that could be added which is not a simple task to perform. While a Mac does not have as many upgrades available, the few that are are very straight forward and simple. The reason Macs do not have the vast amount of upgrades that a PC has is because of what I mentioned earlier. PCs are manufactured by many different companies using similar designs so there are more people creating PC compatible software. Macs break away from the PC template to provide consumers with an easy-to-use, quick, compact computer that incorporates an aesthetic feel. I still agree with my statement that Macs start out with better software than the PC. A Mac doesn't need the complicated tinkering with that you suggest a PC needs. A Mac starts out with everything a computer owner could need and/or want. Not only does the Mac have better security, a smaller, sleeker design, and an easy interface, but also a starting processor that is generally faster than most PC starting processors. IN conclusion, although not having the customizing features that PCs have, Macs are a well rounded and an overall better computer than PCs.
killcam550

Con

Macs may be better than PCs when it comes down to certain things to certain people but overall PC's have a better capability and better compatibility with most of the new software that is released. When you stated that PC's do have the more customizable options and more capability of different software you also said it was a flaw. The flaw was that it wasted money. This only matters to the people who don't have money to waste. To the people who do have the money to spend on such advanced equipment and better software, this is not a flaw. Since your statement was Macs are better than PCs, i have proven this is not entirely true thus resulting in con being correct.
Posted by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
"...but what's to stop that person from also modifying a Mac."

I'm fairly certain that Mac software is closed, so it violates their user agreement to change it without a license.
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
hmm......
Vote Placed by bigtree 6 years ago
bigtree
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by Fkribs 6 years ago
Fkribs
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by kalyse020908 6 years ago
kalyse020908
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by PuddinPop 6 years ago
PuddinPop
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by atheistman 6 years ago
atheistman
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by dasamster 6 years ago
dasamster
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by Witty11 6 years ago
Witty11
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by Nails 6 years ago
Nails
Fkribskillcam550Tied
Vote Placed by The_Anarchist_Opposition 6 years ago
The_Anarchist_Opposition
Fkribskillcam550Tied