Aike
goldman

Made in China: good or bad?

Started: 10/11/2012 Category: Economics

Aike

Pro

I think that it is good, because China makes many goods which are not produced by any other country
goldman

Con

I accept the debate.
These days many goods like electric appliances, closes, cars and other daily necessities are produced in China and some of them are exported to the rest of the world. However, all of them do not necessarily enjoy reputation among the consumers. This means that Chainese products are not good compared with those made in the developed countries.
It is important to explore the reason why and from where this problem arises.
Aike

Pro

Aike forfeited this round.
goldman

Con

I present main arguments for this Round 2. I believe that in general Chinese products are poor and low quality compared with those that are made in the U.S. and the European countries like Germany, Italy and France.
There are number of reasons to justify this problem.

Firstly, people in China do not want high quality products. Managers of many factories use poor quality of raw materials to meet the demands of low-paid workers. Moreover, they do not introduce sophisticated production system and high-skilled employees. This management system contributes to producing low-quality products.
Many managers do not put emphasis on the quality control which we can see in many Japanese companies.

Secondly, the political system plays decisive role in inviting criticism for the Chinese products from the rest of the world.
David Samuel points out two causes which contribute to the inferior quality of Chinese goods.

``The first cause is that being a communist country for so long, there was no reward for better quality or higher production, you got the same pay no matter what the quality of your work, and so that developed an apathetic attitude
towards quality.
The next cause is western world using China as a source of cheap labor while it was still very communistic in its control
of companies back in the 1970`s and 80`s. Production and factories grew to make products for western countries, but
the attitude was still communist in respect to `better quality did not change your pay, so why care`.`` (Why are China made products so poor, http://ezinearticles.com...)

In my opinion, many poor and lower quality of Chinese products emerge mainly from the centrally controlled political and economic mechanism which are deeply rooted in the country.

In relation to the arguments made so far, the life of the managers has been improved greatly.
However, many workers are suffering from low wages and bad labor condition.
Aike

Pro

Aike forfeited this round.
goldman

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent forfeited his arguments. Therfore, I can not present my rebuttals.
In this round I present my conclusions concerning the topic.
It is often said that China has become ``The Factory of the World``as Briton during the age of British Empire since the early 1990s. However, in the case of China we must admit that many factories are directed and controlled by the Chainese Central Government.
Many Western companies are engaging in manufacturing activities there. However, their managers have less interest in improving the production system and producing higher quality of products which are capable of competing with those made in the U.S. and European factories.
In particular,we must point out that Chainese workers are dissatisfied with extremly low-wages and inferior labor conditions which they can find in some of the Japanese companies operating there.
They are blamed for the lack of social and moral responsibility.
Many factories in China, as it were, are``The Production Base`` which produce the low-priced, mass-produced goods.
This way of business stretegy contributes to accumulating profits and a large amount of foreign currencies for the benefits of managers and the Government officials.
As I pointed out in Round 2, I believe that the poor reputation of Chinese goods attributes to the political and economic climate in China.