'Maize' is a better word than 'corn'

I will argue that 'maize' is a better name than 'corn' for the crop, while my opponent will argue that 'corn' is better than 'maize'. Both sides will share the BOP. Round 1 is for acceptance only.

This debate is very close to my heart, and I expect an intense debate. However, I'm sure my opponent and I can still both agree that CORN IS A-MAIZE-ING. (Or that "maize is a-corn-ing"... But that kills the pun.)

Good luck. I accept.

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate. I will present two of my arguments this round, and the rest in the next round.

1. Maize has a-MAIZE-ingly positive CORN-notations

Firstly, who didn't like mazes when they were small? Children - and adults for that matter - have been drawing lines with pencils in labyrinths of ink lines for ages. Every time someone eats maize, she is reminded of the a-maize-ing memories of mazes during her childhood.

Then there's parono-MAIZE-ia. Who doesn't like a little chuckle? Many studies have shown that laughter is indeed the best medicine. It burns calories (1), reduces the risk of heart attacks (2), and just generally makes people feel good. (3) This argument is filled with paronomasia, and as such, it gives you all these nice effects for free!

Corn, on the contrary, has CORN-ucopia of negative CORN-notations: corny, cornball, corn artist, corn-ceit, corn-traband, scorn, corn-cede, corn-trol freak, corn-ciliate, corn-tagious, corn-descending, corn-flagration, corn-cubine, corn-cussion, Mary, Mary, quite corn-trary ... Not to mention that 'corn' without the 'r' is a swear word in French! The only remotely positive word with 'corn' is 'unicorn', which is only for girls.

Corn has some very unfortunate rhymes, too. 'Corn' rhymes with 'horn' (which is very negative if you add just one letter to it), 'mourn', 'torn', 'worn', and a certain word starting with 'p' that is so terrible that I can't type it here. Maize, on the contrary, rhymes with 'praise', (pay) 'raise', and even everyone's favourite word, 'CRAZE'!

2. Corn is CORN-fusing!

Although no scolarly research has been done on this matter up to this moment, it is generally believed that the difficulty of corn-fusing labyrinths with a type of agricultural produce is so great that only the greatest minds can corn-template such a thought.

On the contrary, corn is very corn-fusing! Let's say you want to fuse some maize together, so you say, 'let's do some corn-fusing!' None of your friends will understand that, because they think you're saying 'let's do some confusing!', and so you leave your friends corn-fused! Now imagine you have to make a stencil for drawing maize. You tell everyone you're going to make a 'corn-template'. Hah! Good luck explaining that to your friends, who think you said 'contemplate'! Plus, what are you going to put on your business card if you're an artist who uses maize as a medium? Corn artist or maize artist? It's not just the Latin root either. Corn advocates have to shout corn-stantly, 'We're pro-corn!' That's completely confusing! Are you pro or are you con?

1. Do you know what's better than a maze? A corn maze. Kids love exploring their way through a corn maze rather than sitting around doing a boring puzzle. And imagine how silly a "maize maze" would be...

There's no laughter when Pro uses such weak puns to such excess. Therefore, the "laughter" argument is refuted.

There are no words that contain "maize" other than "maize" and "maizes." It is such an unlikeable word that peope refuse to include it in others. "Corn," on the other hand, is everywhere.

"Maize" rhymes with "tase." We see "tase" in the unfortunate incident in which a young adult was tased by a police officer for no legitimate reason (i.e., "DON'T TASE ME, BRO.) Likewise, to the opponent, I will say "DON'T MAIZE ME, BRO." Corn wins.

Pro's puns are CORNY.

2. I will respond to the opponent's argument by once again saying that "maize" has no words that include it (using its actual spelling.) While corn can be thought-provoking (not CORN-fusing), "maize" is bland, due to its lack of uses as a pun or anything else, for that matter.

Pro should shut his CORNHOLE.

1. "Corn" is the more popular word. Have you ever heard of "maize bread"? "maize meal"? No. The public likes "corn," and it is used by some of the most renowned people on the planet. Gina makes "Spicy Corn Chowder," not "Spicy Maize Chowder"! [1] It just sounds wrong!

Responses to the rebuttals:

My opponent refuted my 'maze' arguement by saying that children prefer corn mazes to normal mazes, and that 'maize maze' is a silly name. 'Maize maze' is in fact a very widely-used term. For example, renowned maze designer Adrian Fisher calls them 'maize mazes'. (1) Moreover, repeating syllables are very cute. In Chinese, a common way of creating a cute nickname is doubling a syllable in someone's name. Why did everyone just adore the Fuwa during the Beijing Olympics Games in 2008, even though the designs were really bland? There's no doubt that the cute names of the Fuwa had an effect: Beibei, Jingjing, Huanhuan, Yingying and Nini. If they were called, say, Hezuo, Heping, Heqi, Hemu and Hexie, the public would not have been so kind on them.

My opponent also rebutted my 'parono-maize-ia' argument by referring to my puns. While I admit that my puns may not have been that funny, please don't forget that every day, people skilled in the art of humour - comedians - make the world roar with laughter with their clever puns. Maize would remind people of the comedians' a-maize-ing parono-maize-sia, while corn would remind people of the corniest jokes ever.

My opponent also mentioned that 'maize' is less favoured because people do not include the word 'maize' anywhere. However, I will remind my opponent that nothing is better than the cornucopia of nasty words with 'corn', such as 'scorn' and 'cornball'.

Finally, my opponent mentioned a word which unfortunately rhymes with 'maize', 'tase'. 'Tase' is an uncommon word and it is unlikely that people will be reminded of 'tase' when they eat. Moreover, 'tasing' is an effective way of controlling people who would otherwise lose control. One isolated case of misuse does not mean that it is in any way a negative influence. However, the rhymes of 'corn' that I mention are common unpleasant words.

My opponent has not explained why corn is 'thought-provoking' and not plain 'corn-fusing'.

Rebuttals to my opponent's arguments:

My opponent wrote that the popularity of the words 'cornbread' and 'cornmeal' shows that 'maize bread' and 'maize meal' 'sound wrong'. I would argue that the United States' influence in the international community, in particular the international culinary community, is the main reason why we hear 'cornmeal' and not 'maizemeal'. In many parts of the world, you cannot walk ten metres without seeing at least one McDonald's, KFC or Burger King. McDonald's, KFC and Burger King all sell you corn, not maize. However, when was the last time you saw a British fast food chain that sells you maize?

More arguments:

1. 'Maize' is kinder to language learners.
Firstly, 'corn' has more than one meaning, and that makes it completely confusing. Outside the United States, 'corn' can refer to wheat, oats and other types of grain. Usually, it is understood to refer to the dominant type of grains that is produced in an area. As a learner, I got confused myself when I was small.

Moreover, cognates of 'maize' appear in numerous other languages. These languages include Albanian, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, Icelandic, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, and so on. This is good news for both speakers of English who learn these languages and speakers of these languages who learn English.

2. Etymologically, 'maize' is better than 'corn'.
The maize plant originates from Latin America. (2) 'Maize' comes from Spanish 'maiz', which comes from Arawakan 'mahiz' (3), so using 'maize' is a good way to pay respect to those who first cutivated maize. However, the Americans restricted 'corn' (see the above argument for the original meaning of 'corn') to maize by first using the term 'Indian corn', then dropping the adjective. Therefore, the original meaning of 'corn from the Americas' is lost. Therefore, 'maize' is, etymologically, more accurate than 'corn'.

Why do I spend hours typing arguments about things I don't care about on a debate website? Hell, I'm arguing for the use of the word "corn"... What has my life come to?

Back to my opponent.

My opponent has not responded the points I made in the last round. Therefore, I will go straight to my conclusion.

'Maize' carries positive connotations, including fun games and great puns. It also has some nice rhymes. However, 'corn' rhymes with and is found in many less-than-pleasant words.

'Corn' is also very confusing, both to listeners and learners. The former is due to the cornucopia of words and phrases that can be confused for 'corn' phrases. The latter is due to the lack of cognates in other languages and multiple meanings.

'Maize' has more respect to the origin of the plant than 'corn'. That's why maize is unambiguous, while corn is.

In conclusion, 'maize' is better than 'corn' in all aspects except popularity; however, 'maize's relative lack of popularity is due to American dominance, not the superior quality of the word 'corn'. Therefore, on balance, 'maize' is a better word than 'corn'.

Nothing is inherently better than anything else. "Better" requires another point on the good-bad value spectrum in order to contrast itself with. Such an objective spectrum does not exist.

Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
Corn / Maize tastes good.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 4 years ago
When the voters check the comments and see your unjustified capitalization, I'm sure all of the votes will be coming to me.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 4 years ago
That means you're going to use that in your rebuttals, right?
Posted by InVinoVeritas 4 years ago
You're not forgiven.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 4 years ago
Sorry, without the capital 't'.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 4 years ago
Correction: corn comes from The Americas.