littlelacroix
man_bar_pig

"Make Love Not Warcraft" (Pro) vs. "Manbearpig" (Con)

littlelacroix

Pro

Matt Stone and Trey Parker are geniuses in the field of cartoon animation. South Park has delivered many episodes that define our generation, but there is some controversy to which is the best episode. In many discussions of this topic, the top two episodes mentioned are "Make Love Not Warcraft" and "Manbearpig."

I stand strongly in the fact that "Make Love Not Warcraft" is the greater episode for the following reasons:

a)Never, in the history of television, has there been a more accurate depiction of the group being made fun of. Their characteristics were dead on to the people that truly play World of Warcraft.

b)When else can you see Eric Cartman pooping on his mom?

c)And finally, the four main characters are, in general, are funnier as fat people.

Thank you
man_bar_pig

Con

Ahhh South Park. A great TV show series about four adolescent children who face many of the world's problem in a comical way. Two of my personal favorite episodes are "make love, not warcraft" and "manbearpig" (hence my user name)
but upon further observation, these two episodes are not equal. In my opponents case, he sides with "make love, not warcraft" but on the other side i must say that "manbearpig" is a far more superior episode.

1.) manbearpig pokes fun at Al Gore, a much easier target than world of warcraft.
Many of us have seen Al Gore's silly rants about global warming, mostly through his video "An Inconvenient Truth". The metaphorical approach that Trey Parker and Matt Stone take at Al Gore is far more humorous than the shots fired at World of Warcraft players. By having Al Gore try and warn the world about "manbearpig", we unveil Al Gore's true motivation for his global warming rants:
a.) Al Gore seems to think the world is in grave DANGER because of manbearpig and he's trying to do the right thing.
b.) Al Gore realizes that when the world is saved because of him, everyone will be super stoked at him.
c.) Mr. Gore is just plain tired of being misunderstood and not taken seriously. poor fella.

My opponents first point states that never in the history of television has there ever been a more accurate depiction of world of warcraft players. While this may be true, i definitely feel that their depiction of Al Gore is far more accurate and far more comical.

In his second point, he states that in no other episode, will you ever see Eric Cartman pooping on him mom. This is certainly a terrible thing to laugh at because this is dehumanizing mothers and in general, woman. We cannot look to this as a humorous reference because of the social unrest it could cause. In the manbearpig episode, Cartman poops out fake treasure, this is clearly hilarious and safe for society.

In my opponent's third point, he says that the characters of South Park are far more hilarious when they are fat. This brings up the obesity issue that our country has. It litterally mocks it and dehumanizes fat people. Regardless of what you may say, fat people are people too. (even though it just so happens that all WoW players are fat hahahaha)

thank you and good night. ;)
littlelacroix

Pro

I would first like to start off by critiquing my opponent. In both the second and third arguments of his last speech, he mentions that "Make Love, Not Warcraft" is degrading certain people (women and fat people) and that it is certainly not funny. However, he also mentions in his opening that South Park is "A great TV show series about four adolescent children who face many of the world's problem in a comical way. Two of my personal favorite episodes are 'make love, not warcraft' and 'manbearpig'..." I have two things on this...

1) How can "Make Love, Not Warcraft" be one of his favorite episodes if it is certainly not funny and degrades people? That's exactly my point, he's lowering his standards for this debate only, giving up on his entertainment 'principles,' just to win an argument.
2) This show has been argued to degrade all types of people. In "Manbearpig," it is degrading enviromentalists, such as Al Gore. Now to single out "Make Love, Not Warcraft," saying it's degrading, is completely hippocritical and is devaluing the sake of this debate. Also, he laughs at the fat WoW players argument in his final argumentation, thus he believes that this too is comical.

Now moving on the the specific contentions...

1) First of all, I want to say that the statement mentioned by my opponent, "manbearpig pokes fun at Al Gore, a much easier target than world of warcraft," is all in the eye of the beholder.

Secondly, this is not an appropriate depiction of Al Gore because in the show, he has absolutely no friends. In real life, he has just as many delusional friends as there are. Therefore, "Make Love, Not Warcraft" is the far more accurate depiction of the group they are making fun of.

2) This episode isn't degrading to women, only degrading to mothers who would be willing to do such a thing. I'm pretty sure that you would have a hard time finding a woman that would be willing to bring a bed pan downstairs to their son/daughter just because they don't want to move and allow them to crap on them. However, pooping treaure is something that is horrible to laugh at. A man could get some serious intestinal damage from pooping treasue. Would it be funny to watch a man become a parapallegic?

3) Finally, this point has already been argued against my opponent by my opponent when he laughed at fat people. Furthermore, since I personally know my opponent, I can safely say that he completely cracks up anytime I make a fat joke about one of our classmates, Derek. Anyone can see that my opponent has disregarded this argument and thus it must go for the Pro side.

In the end, you must see that out of the depictions of Matt Stone and Trey Parker, "Make Love, Not Warcraft" is superior to that of "Manbearpig." I'm super cereal!!! ;-)
man_bar_pig

Con

Allow me to first clarify that I think both of these episodes, along with all South Park episodes, are very funny and humorous. So in fact this debate becomes about superiority and is no longer about "this one is right, and this one is wrong" both these episodes are funny but my job is to prove that the manbearpig episode is funnier, and is more superior.

To attack my opponents first contention in his last speech, he is saying that my point about Al Gore is "in the eyes of the beholder" well in fact this entire debate is based about "in the eyes of the beholder." my opponent also began attacking the factuality of my arguments but his arguments were full of holes also. When he is saying that "Make love, not warcraft" is completely accurate, this is incredibly false. In fact, I know two people in the real world who play World of Warcraft nearly religeously and they are actually very physically fit, fully functioning people and for him to say that Trey Parker and Matt Stone have accurately portrayed these people is a fallacy. (and also to clarify, when I said that all WoW players are fat, this was simply sarcasm aimed at one of our fellow debate classmates, derek)

In my opponent's attack of my degrading woman argument, he stated that it is degrading mothers only who are willing to do this in the first place. Well I'm certain that 100% of mother are indeed women so this point stands.

So clearly you can see voter, that manbearpig is far more superior to Make Love, not warcraft. And if you don't believe me, just watch them for yourself, you will discover the truth, I'm super cereal.
littlelacroix

Pro

I would just like to start off by saying that the entire "degrading" argument brought forth by my opponent should be completely disregarded because he has mentioned that it's no longer about "right and wrong" rather which one is far superior. In this he is basically agreeing that South Park is equally degrading to the different groups that are depicted in the different episodes. Therefore this arguement cannot be accepted. Moving on...

My opponent says that the entire debate is in the "eye of the beholder" alongside Al Gore being an easier target. I will agree that this debate is in the eye of the beholder, but we are still using facts to support these arguments. Just because you say that Al Gore is easier to make fun of than World of Warcraft players is just your opinion since you don't explain why he is easier to make fun of.

The creators of South Park had depicted a generalization of WoW players, NOT every last player on the face of the Earth. Yet when you look at the accuracy of the Manbearpig episode, the episode portrays him as having absolutely no friends whatsoever when in reality he has many delusional friends and supporters. If you look at the generalization of WoW players in comparison to the completely inaccurate portrayal of Al Gore, you can obviously see that "Make Love, Not Warcraft" is far better in this sense.

Once again, on his degrading women argument, this should not be accepted as I mentioned in the first paragraph of this speech, but for the sake of this debate, I will once again refute it. This is not degrading to women because there is MAYBE 1% of women that would be willing to do something like this if not fewer. So, how is something, that doesn't affect a vast number of people, degrade approximately half of the population on the face of this Earth? It doesn't, thus you cannot accept this argument.

I would also like to point out that my opponent has completely agreed with me on my orginal third contention that the characters are funnier as fat people. He has pretty much agreed with this when he makes fun of our classmate, Derek.

As you can see, "Make Love, Not Warcraft" is a far superior episode in that it is more accurate, is equally degrading (yet equally, if not more, funny) as other episodes of South Park, and portrays the four main characters as funny, fat people. I thank you for all your time :-)
man_bar_pig

Con

ok just to start out I'd like to defend the degrading argument. As my opponent said, this episode entails a lot of "generalization" and when it shows Cartman's mother getting literally crapped on, it makes the generalization that women are essentially slaves. Regardless of how small the actual number is, in the eyes of South Park, it's a very large number and so this is why Make Love, Not Warcraft is degrading. And also my opponent never hit on the degrading fat people thing, even though we discovered that in some cases, fat people are humorous. And I was not agreeing with him that the characters of South Park are funnier as fat people, in fact, it actually kind of saddens me seeing these young lads morbidly obese.

Also my opponent states that Manbearpig is not accurate because it shows Al Gore with absolutely zero friends. This is simply another generalization and a metaphorical statement stating that Al Gore's message to the public is very commonly not accepted and a large number of people don't find him easy to relate to or appreciate and is simply comic relief. This also supports my point that Al Gore is an easier target. His views are percieved in public as comical and he is in most cases, not taken seriously so this makes him an easier target.

When my opponent stated that a generalization that most WoW players are fat, I had to disagree with this because I personally know several WoW players and these people are typically not fat. In fact, only a small percent are fat so instead of trusting a television show's generalization, we must look to real world instances and realize that this is inaccurate and unfair to consider all world of warcraft players fat.

so to re-interate my points:
1.) Al Gore is a much easier target than WoW players
2.) Manbearpig is a far more accurate episode than Make Love, Not Warcraft
3.) Make Love, Not Warcraft is harmful to society

thank you judges for your consideration although in this debate I must urge a Con vote based on the arguments.
and thank you my worth opponent for participating in this nautical debate.
Posted by oogaloogabooga 8 years ago
oogaloogabooga
I would just like to say a few things as too why i voted the way i did, so that both debaters can understand and improve upon their performance for future debates.
I also love SP, and am a WoW player, but too be fair i tried to keep my vote unbiased. although i completely disagree with the Pro original points, i only agreed with the the con made argument against the first contention, the second two the con stated that it was degrading to people. that's exactly what SP does, that's why i like it so much, and why lots of others do also. It's not meant to be taken literally, it's completely entertainment, and as such i personally do not believe this point is valid in this debate. Although i do completely agree with his constructive case as to why Manbearpig is better, and think it is a very relevent and valid point. My only critique is that i would like to see more of why it is better. Basically what i saw this debate come down to was the pro's defense to his case and his observations on the cons contradictions was what won him the debate.
Good Job both debaters, i was very entertained. =)
Posted by kykrebs 9 years ago
kykrebs
just kidding k-b. i did vote for jamie...or did i? maybe it was derek, or chris, or connor...you will never know...but yeah i voted for jamie. :)
Posted by huntertracker6 9 years ago
huntertracker6
2 good -no- great arguments, and 2 hilarious S.P. episodes. I cannot choose either pro or con.
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
Both episodes are equally as entertaining, and both of your points are equally as good/bad. I'm abstaining :)
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
I want a chicken sandwich and some waffle fries. AND I AIN'T PAYIN'!
Vote Placed by Floridajoe03 8 years ago
Floridajoe03
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by Excessum 8 years ago
Excessum
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by Alex 8 years ago
Alex
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by oogaloogabooga 8 years ago
oogaloogabooga
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by Mangani 8 years ago
Mangani
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by littlelacroix 8 years ago
littlelacroix
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by fitzt21 9 years ago
fitzt21
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by huntertracker6 9 years ago
huntertracker6
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by kykrebs 9 years ago
kykrebs
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied
Vote Placed by TheIdesOfMarch 9 years ago
TheIdesOfMarch
littlelacroixman_bar_pigTied