smya_8
binkie

Making awareness about untouchables is more effective than making laws to protect them

smya_8

Pro

1st round for acceptance only....
Whosoever accepts the challenge will be my opponent.
FF means ultimate loss.
BEST OF LUCK
binkie

Con

Yes, I agree that people should be aware of this issue. However, most people are already aware. That is basically reason we are having this debate, because we both know the issue about untouchables. If a person knows about this issue, what can they do? They would do their best to solve it, but ultimately, they can't make a difference. There will still continue to be discrimination. On the other hand, if there are more laws to protect the untouchables, not only will people be even MORE aware of them, but there will be action taken. When people are aware, then they will just know about the untouchables. When we pass laws, there will be action taken, and slowly, the problem will decrease. According to Joshi
Barbara R., author of Untouchable!: Voices of the Dalit Liberation Movement (Women in the Third World) , "the resources available to Untouchables who seek change are severely limited. Only 20% of rural Untouchable males are literate, compared to 34% of other villagers. Nationwide, 52 % of all "Scheduled Caste" (Untouchable) workers are landless agricultural laborers, compared to 26% of all workers from other castes. 1981 figures are not yet available but may show further deterioration. Although wages of agricultural laborers rose by 127% between 1965 and 1975, inflation for items purchased by villagers rose an average of 157%. Not surprisingly, the latest official Rural Labour Enquiry showed 71% of all Untouchable agricultural laborers were in debt, most to village moneylenders, shopkeepers, and landlords [Ministry of Labour, 1978]." The untouchables have incredibly low resources, and we agree that they need help. When we tried to make laws to protect then, it worked. According to Amit, a Dalit, there are now laws protecting Dalits and affirmative action programmes. And Dalits have worked hard to increase their political power - several states have even elected Dalit chief ministers. This was just a small example of what laws could do to protect the untouchables. Imagine if there were huge laws protecting the untouchables. The problem would decrease until the discrimination fades completely. Therefore, I urge you to vote the negative side of this debate.
smya_8

Pro

First of all, I would like to tell you that I clearly mentioned that the 1st round was for acceptance ONLY.... I won't consider your argument. So, No rebuttal in this round.

In my opinion, creating awareness in the society about the untouchables will have a bigger impact on their lives as only by changing the mind set of the people we can hope to bring difference in their lives. Laws are already existing but they will become successful only when people will follow them , not because of any fear of punishment but by their own will. We can bring positive change in this direction only by breaking the stereotype and taboos attached to the untouchables and this could be achieved only by making people aware and educating them about this evil practice of untouchability.
binkie

Con

Sorry, at the time, I didn't understand what 'first round is acceptance' meant.

You say that by changing the mind set is more important. However, most people are already aware. The problem is people need to follow laws. They know the problem about untouchability. The problem is doing, not knowing.

Now, onto my case.

smya_8

Pro

I agree that laws protect them.... But we can't work without our hands. Similarly, laws could do nothing without people, and people would make use of laws only if they are aware of the happenings in the society. Awareness can be created through films, songs, bhajans , talks and discussions. The evil effect of the practice gets highlighted through these medium and people work on it. In fact, it would be more effective if we start right from the beginning, by informing the kids " We Are Equal " and removing caste discrimination from the minds of new generations.
binkie

Con

You have ignored my point, which is that laws will CAUSE awareness in the people. Therefore, your rebuttal is incorrect, and also, you have admitted that laws protect people when people are aware. Laws make people aware, and people awareness makes laws useful. Also, laws will be there for future generations, and kids will learn "We Are Equal".
smya_8

Pro

Your argument supports neither of the sides....
And secondly, Laws can never cause awareness in people. Some or other way, Laws bound people to do a particular task. By making Laws we can just force or just make people to protect the untouchai. But Educating or awaring people about the happenings, we could make a great change in their lives and could also change people's mind set.
Your argument seems to be neutral.
binkie

Con

binkie forfeited this round.
Posted by binkie 1 year ago
binkie
Sorry about me forfeiting the round. I had to go on a week-long trip, I could not use the internet during that time.
Posted by smya_8 1 year ago
smya_8
@Daisha17
I would request you to vote on the debate.
:)
Posted by Daisha17 1 year ago
Daisha17
Nathaniel Braden said 'The first step towards change is awareness. The second is acceptance.'
Laws are essential to change systems but a laws do not change thoughts. I believe persons need to become aware. Yes, many know about caste system but do they know why it exists and why they follow it. Attitudes and practices of the caste system have been passed on from generation to generation. Unless all groups of this system are conscious of its failings, the laws in place will be ineffective.
Posted by smya_8 1 year ago
smya_8
Untouchables are the people who are kept at lower levels of social hierarchy and are discriminated against. ( Referring Inadian caste system).
@Theunkown. I think you should take up the challenge. That's one of the moto of debates.
Posted by Theunkown 1 year ago
Theunkown
@dsjpk5, She is reffering to the Indian caste system.
I would debate you @smya_8 but I already agree with your view.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Who are the untouchables?