AllieTheKat
Aodagain

Male masturbation prevents conscious life and should be treated like abortion

AllieTheKat

Pro

Over 500 million sperm are released when an average healthy male ejaculates. Even if only around 200 of those sperm would have reached a females egg, that is 200 cells that could have become a conscious human life if they were not wasted in masturbation. Just as females are choosing to end embryonic life by aborting unwanted pregnancies males are ending zygote life by masturbating.
Aodagain

Con

So in a badly overcrowded world where most people are going hungry what's bad about that?
AllieTheKat

Pro

I am not saying that it is bad, I am purely stating that it should be treated the same as abortion. States are pushing for and passing bills that completely ban or make attaining an abortion legally nearly impossible. Oklahoma just passed a bill in which doctors can be charged with a felony for performing an abortion at any point with in the pregnancy. With one of the senators backing the bill stating that a past 20 week ban was not enough since the embryo still had the possibility of sustaining conscious life. Following that logic then a sperm also has the potential to become conscious life, allowing the correct conditions. To help explain myself it might be best for me to explain exactly what I mean by conscious life. I feel the medical definition of conscious helps "Aware; having present knowledge or perception of oneself, one's acts, and surroundings." so I believe conscious life is just that, any animal that has clear conception and perception of not only its surroundings but also of itself. Just as abortion stops the process and does not allow the chance for the conscious life to come to fruition, not allowing the ability for the sperm to meet with an egg is ending the chances for conscious life with those specific sperm. In places in which abortion is becoming an illegal practice male masturbation should be too.
Aodagain

Con

Wouldn't it be better to approach it from the point of view that abortion should not be illegal? Because you see there is a basic difference here. A sperm by itself has no chance of becoming a life. At a certain point an unborn baby does. So instead of adopting a wacky, way-out proposition that is not a valid comparison I would prefer to concentrate on the point of view of ensuring women have a choice to abort.
AllieTheKat

Pro

I will neither agree nor disagree with your point. My focus is purely on that in places where abortion is restricted male masturbation should be too. That means if abortion was universally legal, male masturbation would be too. As for a sperm cannot create life on its own I agree, but an embryo will not for sure become conscious life either. Even though consciousness is not reached until around the middle of the pregnancy ,(according to the study talked about here https://1000wordphilosophy.wordpress.com... ) many pro life people state that when issues within the pregnancy which could lead to a still birth abortions are still morally wrong and should be illegal because there is still a slight chance the fetus could survive. I am in no way saying that a sperm should be treated the same as a baby because they are different.. A baby has achieved conscious life and just because a sperm is part of what makes in infant does not make it then conscious. It is the possibility of consciousness that the sperm and an early stage fetus share. Yet I concede that I was not clear enough with my original statement. It should only be associated with laws regarding early or first term abortions.
Aodagain

Con

But if you think banning abortion is wrong, surely you are not going to advance your argument by suggesting the banning of a very wide-spread harmless act that is usually done in private and thus can't be monitored anyway? You're just going to make people think you've lost touch with reality in some kind of desire for revenge.
Posted by TVDB 12 months ago
TVDB
Menstruation*
Posted by TVDB 12 months ago
TVDB
Following Pro's logic, menstation should be outlawed as well as it wastes an egg that could become a human life.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
No human life is killed by masturbation, so it's not the same thing as Abortion.
Posted by BackCommander 1 year ago
BackCommander
AllieTheKat "Over 500 million sperm are released when an average healthy male ejaculates"

Even if a couple has a child, 499,999,999 possible children were simply thrown to the wind. That's the conclusion of the argument you're making. It's the side that you obviously want to ignore because you're saying masturbation is wrong, but it still stands.

I'm not saying sex without pregnancy, I'm saying sex WITH pregnancy still ends with all but one of those sperm (sometimes a few more in rare cases, fraternal twins, ect) dying. By your logic, almost 500 million abortions.
Posted by AllieTheKat 1 year ago
AllieTheKat
BackCommander No having sex and not becoming pregnant i say is more equivalent to carrying a pregnancy to term but having a still birth or having an unexplained miscarriage. You allowed for the conditions necessary for life to be present but something went wrong. The same way that we do not blame the mother or treat her as if she had tried to abort the pregnancy a male who has sex but no egg is fertilized should not be prosecuted.
Posted by BackCommander 1 year ago
BackCommander
@AllieTheKat, by your logic every person who has sex, even for procreation, is "aborting" millions of would-be humans. So if we follow that logic to the end there are millions and millions of abortions that happen every single day and therefore there's no point in trying to make abortion, in the proper sense, illegal.
Posted by AllieTheKat 1 year ago
AllieTheKat
Zaephou a bacteria is not true conscious life.
missmedic I agree a sperm alone cannot create life but it under the correct conditions, attachment to an egg, can lead to conscious life just as an embryo is not yet a true human but it has the ability with the correct conditions to become one.
Posted by Zaephou 1 year ago
Zaephou
You don't feel bad when you use antibiotics on bacteria do you?
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
Sperm do not contain enough DNA to create a human. Also regular emissions are healthy for the prostate.
http://www.harvardprostateknowledge.org...
http://www.youthhealthmag.com...
http://www.everydayhealth.com...
Posted by Artaxerxes 1 year ago
Artaxerxes
I will accept if you provide the format for the debate.