Jman0056
Crescendo

Man of Steel was AWSOME

Crescendo
Started: 5/13/2014 Category: Movies

Jman0056

Pro

I REALLY liked this new look on super man, sure it had its flaws but it was a GREAT MOVIE! Try me. >:)
Crescendo

Con

Contention 1:
"Awesome" is a relative term. What you think is awesome I might not. Then again, if you think it's awesome, then you're right, and if I think it's not awesome, then I'm right...so how could either of us win?
Anyhow...

Contention 2.
The movie made less than a billion dollars. The same cannot be said about truly awesome movies, such as:
1. The Dark Knight Rises 2. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3. Marvel's "The Avengers" 4. Avatar (though I haven't seen this one yet) 5. Jurassic Park 6. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
Heck, Finding Nemo made more money than that movie did. In fact, in regards to the top grossing films, it didn't even make the top 50! Have I made my point yet?

Contention 3.
Man of Steel was an unpleasant movie to watch. Believe me; I saw it in theaters. First of all, it is improbable that aliens would look EXACTLY like humans. Second, the movie was too loud. Third, it's another lame reboot of a series that's already had enough movies, like the Spiderman Trilogy of the 2000s decade. Granted, they spent a lot of money on the movie, but that didn't make the movie great. Fourth, the movie was too dramatic, and it had little humor.

I await hearing what Pro has to say.

Source:
Jman0056

Pro

First if all, what made it unpleasant? I would like for you to elaborate on that. Second of all, I saw it in theatres as well. I saw it an imax so maybe this will be biased a bit. But I still loved it. Third of all, about the whole aliens looking like humans thing... A.) how do you know aliens don't look like humans? And B.) that's just part of the superman franchise. That has been around since superman was invented. Fourth of all, Zack Snyder was re-inventing super man. He wanted to show a side of superman we haven't seen before. A more human side of him. There some really metaphorical and touching moments in that movie. And fifth of all... To loud? C'mon man you got two friggin super humans fighting to the the death... you got to expect some noise.

You're turn.
Crescendo

Con

"First if all, what made it unpleasant? I would like for you to elaborate on that."

As I stated before, it's too loud, too dramatic, and not funny enough.

" I saw it an imax so maybe this will be biased a bit. But I still loved it."

Also as stated before, awesome is a relative term. You think the movie's good, but I don't.

"Third of all, about the whole aliens looking like humans thing... A.) how do you know aliens don't look like humans? And B.) that's just part of the superman franchise. That has been around since superman was invented."

It's extremely unlikely that aliens would look like us. Not if evolution's a blind process, anyway (assuming that macroevolution exists, that is).

"Fourth of all, Zack Snyder was re-inventing super man. He wanted to show a side of superman we haven't seen before. A more human side of him. There some really metaphorical and touching moments in that movie."

The best character in the movie (Superman's human dad) was killed off midshow.

"And fifth of all... To loud? C'mon man you got two friggin super humans fighting to the the death... you got to expect some noise."

I've seen the Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, both new Spiderman movies as well as all three older Spiderman films, the Avengers, both Thor movies, both Captain America movies, the first two Iron Man films, one or two of the older X-Men, the newer Wolverine movie, the older Hulk movie, and the 2005 Superman movie. I had no problem with the loudness of these movies, and all these were action-packed superhero movies.
Conclusion: the movie was too loud.

Also, you didn't answer what I said about Man of Steel being surpassed in sales by Finding Nemo, Toy Story 3, and Frozen.
Jman0056

Pro

Frozen is the 3rd highest grossing movie of 2013, so of course it surpassed man of steel. It's also the 19th highest grossing movie of all time. And those where three of Disney's most successful movies.
But, if we are going to be comparing movies due to there grossing, Man of steel is 56th most highest grossing movies of all time in the US. Man of Steel beat the incredibles, Super 8, and the Lego movie, AND the Matrix.

Man of Steel was supposed to be dramatic and loud. It's not a comedy.

And again, Krypton's have always looked like Humans. It's been that way since Superman was invented. So I'm just assuming you're now attacking every Superman franchise and not just this movie?

I wouldn't say the best character was his dad. And he was killed off for a good reason. He was scared for Clark. Again, a touching moment in the movie.

Man of steel Was a good movie.
Good as in I liked it. And you didn't.

It portrayed a different side of Superman. A side we had yet to see. One that showed that we are ALL human. That life is not perfect. It's not always turn back time and fix things so every body lives happily ever after. Because not every thing has a happy ending. Even the end of the movie didn't end well for the Man of Steel. Clark now has to live with the guilt of killing the last of has own kind!
In conclusion, Man of Steel is a movie that may not have made it out of the 50's in highest grossing rankings. It may not have gotten the best reviews, but Man of Steel is a movie that will be remembered for generations and generations to come.
I feel Man of Steel is a misunderstood movie. if you take time and think about what it means, Man of Steel has so many metaphors and parallels to real life. It shows NOBODY is invincible. Not even Man of Steel.

http://www.imdb.com...

http://boxofficemojo.com...
Crescendo

Con

"Frozen is the 3rd highest grossing movie of 2013, so of course it surpassed man of steel. It's also the 19th highest grossing movie of all time. And those where three of Disney's most successful movies.
But, if we are going to be comparing movies due to there grossing, Man of steel is 56th most highest grossing movies of all time in the US. Man of Steel beat the incredibles, Super 8, and the Lego movie, AND the Matrix."

That movie was not worthy of surpassing The Matrix as it did. Just saying. But you do have a point, I suppose.

"Man of Steel was supposed to be dramatic and loud. It's not a comedy."

I never said it was supposed to be a comedy. But consider the Avengers. It wasn't a comedy, but it had plenty of funny moments in it. The same cannot be said about Man of Steel.

"And again, Krypton's have always looked like Humans. It's been that way since Superman was invented. So I'm just assuming you're now attacking every Superman franchise and not just this movie?"

Then I suppose I am; Superman's never been that great anyway.

"I wouldn't say the best character was his dad. And he was killed off for a good reason. He was scared for Clark. Again, a touching moment in the movie."

He was the best character in my opinion. The best actor in the movie too, I think.

"Good as in I liked it. And you didn't."

I can agree with this statement.

"It portrayed a different side of Superman. A side we had yet to see. One that showed that we are ALL human. That life is not perfect. It's not always turn back time and fix things so every body lives happily ever after. Because not every thing has a happy ending. Even the end of the movie didn't end well for the Man of Steel. Clark now has to live with the guilt of killing the last of has own kind!"

It's usually a sign of lazy writers if the movie has to get darker to get better.

Vote for Con.
Posted by Jman0056 2 years ago
Jman0056
I just realized i was debating against a 109 yr old clown :O
Posted by Jman0056 2 years ago
Jman0056
Gg
Vote Placed by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
Jman0056CrescendoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Unfortunately I'm awarding Con the win, unless someone else comes around. While I totally agree with Pro's stance, neither of your arguments can win because you both admit multiple times to the subjectivity of this subject, therefore nullifying everything you had said before and would say after. If Pro hadn't admitted to subjectivity, I may have voted for him, because I was entirely unconvinced by the arguments Con put forth. S&G goes to Con, Pro had a few glaring errors that I can't ignore.