Sigma-6
ElloGovna12

Manchester United has been relegated in status from top team to good club.

Started: 2/5/2015 Category: Sports

Sigma-6

Pro

Manchester United has a rich history of winning english premier league titles, holding the title of top team in England (20 titles) till the retirement of manager Sir Alex Ferguson. Since then, the only trophy won has been the community shield. My argument runs on the basis of results, and ability to attract top players, key measures of a club's performance.

In terms of results, Manchester United has been out of European competitions for one season. A look at the premier league table shows that they are some way off the current top 2 teams in England. Furthermore, matches have not been convincing, with key statistics like shots on target falling in contrast with the fergie era and pundits (Jamie Redknapp, Paul Scholes) generally agreeing on that as well. They have been beaten by struggling teams and held to a draw and even lost to teams in the lower leagues, painting a picture of mediocrity and inconsistency.

In terms of attracting top players, Manchester United has unsuccessfully tried to sign Fabregas and Cuadrado, two players who ended up with rivals Chelsea for fees less than what Man United were quoted and reported in the BBC. They did land di Maria and Falcao, players consider world class. However, it is worth noting that di Maria was replaced at Madrid by Rodriguez and Falcao was considered a risk due to his knee injuries. Hence, with the background of these signings in context, it is hard to imagine man utd having the pulling power of a top club at all.

It is clear to me that Manchester United are by results and by virtue of being able to attract top players discarded by top clubs, can still be considered a good team, although the failings presented above show that they cannot be considered to fall within the top bracket in comparison to clubs like Madrid and Chelsea (examples used above).
ElloGovna12

Con

Dear Opponent,
I must first brush away any speculation of my bias towards Manchester United, as I am an Everton supporter until death. Manchester United has had a dry-run the past couple of years in terms of European Competition, I agree. Yet, that does not, to me, seem like fair grounds to make them a "good club" rather than a "top team" If you do watch the games, rather than the table, (I am not sure if you watch the games or not, for you did not state whether or not you do) You will see the chemistry that The Reds play with. Their chemistry, in fact, reminds me slightly of the tiki-taka possession game that a large amount of pundits praise the top club Barcelona for. I will wait for you to post your next argument before stating any more, so I can tell what more to say.
Sigma-6

Pro

Sigma-6 forfeited this round.
ElloGovna12

Con

ElloGovna12 forfeited this round.
Sigma-6

Pro

Sigma-6 forfeited this round.
ElloGovna12

Con

ElloGovna12 forfeited this round.