Cazaam
timbi

Mandatory School Prayer

Cazaam

Cazaam

Con

This is coming from a British person where yes, mandatory school prayers are a thing.

In England and Wales, the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 states that all pupils instate schools must take part in a daily act of collective worship, unless their parents request that they be excused from attending. The majority of these acts of collective worship are required to be "wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character", with two exceptions:
Religious schools, which should provide worship appropriate to the school's religion (although most religious schools in the UK are Christian.)Schools where the Local Education Authority's Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education Has determined that Christian worship would not be appropriate for part or all of the school.Currently, Section 70 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 is not compatible with Article 9 of European Convention on Human Rights, part of the Human Rights Act 1998.
Despite there being a statutory requirement for schools to hold a daily act of collective worship, many do not.Ofsted's 2002-03 annual report, for example, states that 80% of secondary schools are not providing daily worship for all pupils.

Here's my opinion and story about this: Not everyone who attends a public school in England and Wales is religious. Take my story for example. Being quite strongly Atheist, a 6/7 on the scale meaning I doubt the existence of a deity but can't rule it out completely. I don't believe in the existance of Heaven or Hell I got dand I don't believe the world is 6000 years old. I was like this when I spoke up against this. As a child I refused to pray because I was irreligious back then as well. I got a detention for this but I didn't go to the detention because I stand up for what I believe in.

I'm going to quote myself on what I've told other people: "If you're part of a religion, all the power to you. But I will speak out about something if you do try to force religion on people who don't want religion forced into their face." People of other religions such as Muslims and Jews can get out of these school prayers but Atheists like myself can't. Why is this the case and why do I have to listen to what I think is total BS? If you believe in Christianity, I'd like to see you chime in to this debate. Preferrably British as this is the country this is happening in, but if you're not, it doens't matter.
timbi

Pro

There is nothing to argue about. Students may opt out if needed.
Cazaam

Con

Yes, they may opt out if they're part of other religions with parental request but they will seem to deny Atheists from opting out. I've tried to opt out of it, they wouldn't let me. So that's when I go and sabotage the prayer because I am so livid about this. I stand up and express my views but everyone keeps telling me to shut up and then I'm told to go to detention. Well Fu' them. You are NOT forcing that bull on me FULL F'ING STOP!
timbi

Pro

timbi forfeited this round.
Cazaam

Con

I guess my anger got to me on that second argument but why shouldn't it? I was an irreligious 11 year old back then in school. An innocent kid in the daily assembly and then it comes to the school prayer. They catch me not praying and tell me to. I refuse and then they tell me to go to detention. Again I refuse because I'm rebellious against things that seem wrong and this is completely wrong. The next day was another school prayer. This time I sabotaged it by standing up and saying sharply "No, you can't force religion on me" Then I stormed out of the room. What they need to know is I will never accept that God definitely exists because there's no scientific evidence present to prove he is. I was like that all my life when I learnt about Evolution a year ago and they were talking about the fairytale known as Creationism. If it was a Christian school I would understand that but it wasn't. it was a PUBLIC SCHOOL.
timbi

Pro

timbi forfeited this round.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
Sorry, it didn't fit the whole post on the last one:
people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace. Are you laughing yet? Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you"re not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it. Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.
Pass it on if you think it has merit.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
Read the one at the bottom first.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?" (regarding Hurricane Katrina).. Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, "I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we"ve been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?" In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O"Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn"t want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn"t spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock"s son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he"s talking about. And we said okay. Now we"re asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don"t know right from wrong, and why it doesn"t bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves. Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW." Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world"s going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send "jokes" through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, peopl
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
Subject: Ben Stein - Christmas This was an email in 2011
Apparently the White House referred to Christmas Trees as Holiday Trees for the first time this year which prompted CBS presenter, Ben Stein, to present this piece which I would like to share with you. I think it applies just as much to many countries as it does to America.The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.
My confession:I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish.
And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees, Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are, Christmas trees.It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away. I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God ? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too.But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different:(next post)
Vote Placed by Envisage 2 years ago
Envisage
CazaamtimbiTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF plus solid arguments.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
CazaamtimbiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit by Pro after acceptance. Clear victory for Con.