Stupidape
benshapirohero

Manmade global climate change is real and a threat.

Stupidape

Pro

I have noticed that a surprising number of people still think global climate change is a hoax. I hope to destroy some of that myth. Pope Francis recognizes climate change and calls for swift action. [0]

Impact: I think the Pope knows what he is doing and thus man-made global climate change is real and a threat.

The scientific angle, inconvenient truth [1]. Impact, scientific evidence clearly backs up this claim in the documentary an inconvenient truth. [1]

0. http://www.nytimes.com...
1. http://www.imdb.com...
benshapirohero

Con

Thanks for accepting.
By the way, I really like your profile picture. ;)

Well, here we go-
1. I have immense respect for Pope Francis. He's my role model, and I respect anything he says.
With that said, he's the head of the Catholic Church, not the head of the House Committee on Global Warming and Climate Change.
Pope Francis's is more than welcome to voice his opinion on this topic, but his opinion is just as good as yours and mine.

2. The fact that we're having a debate on whether Climate Change is even real or not raises serious questions about its existence.

4. The Antarctic Ozone Hole is shrinking.
Stupidape

Pro

"1. I have immense respect for Pope Francis. He's my role model, and I respect anything he says.

4. The Antarctic Ozone Hole is shrinking." benshapirohero

Responses

1. I heard they don't let just anyone become Pope. I do see his opinion as having more weight than the average person.

2. I disagree, I think it shows I am determinted to defeat as many climate change deniers as possible.

3. ???

4. That's because of ozone destroying products like hairspray being phased out.

Thank you to my opponent for accepting this debate and conducting himself/herself in a respectful manner.

2. http://www.pbs.org...
benshapirohero

Con

"1. I heard they don't let just anyone become Pope."
You're right. The Holy Father must be holy and very wise.
But keep in mind he's the head of a Church, not a Climate Committee.

" I do see his opinion as having more weight than the average person."
On spiritual matters, yes; he's the Pope. On climate change, not so much. He might have an edge, but he's no expert. He IS a chemist tho.

"2. I disagree, it shows I am determined to defeat as many climate change deniers as possible."
I'm a climate change agnostic. I don't think pumping carbon dioxide can be good, but I seriously wonder if humans really can change the weather. I think we're overestimating our influence.

"3. ???"
I know.

"4. That's because of ozone destroying products like hairspray being phased out."
Science is all about controls and variables.
While it's true products like hairspray came around when the ozone hole began to shrink, other natural events were going on that could have been the cause.
In a sense, if we look back on this as an experiment to find out what hairspray products do, we know our experiement would be tainted by other natural events, (climate involves the whole Earth) given that it has more than one variable

Lastly I'm a dude.

Have a good day
Stupidape

Pro

My opponent has dropped every issues except the ozone layer. I conclude that I should win on the dropped areas due to no response from my opponent. As for the ozone layers there is conclusive proof that CFCs and similar chemicals were the cause. [3][4]

"There is now conclusive proof that CFCs and similar chemicals are the cause of ozone depletion in the stratosphere, since chemicals found there could come from no other source (Russell et al., 1996). The reduction and elimination of production of many ozone-depleting substances in industrialize" [3]

Thanks for the debate.

3. http://www.un.org...
4. https://www.epa.gov...
benshapirohero

Con

I'm sorry but you are the one who has dropped all the issues except the ozone layer.
I chose to play defense and only address the points you made, which were few.
These included:
Pope Francis's opinion (which I destroyed you on)
Science says global warming is true (which you utterly failed to mention afterward and showed no evidence for)
And trying to prove the ozone hole is man made.

If this is the best you can do, I suggest you drop this topic, because you do a disservice to climate change activists. Plenty have given better arguments than yours.
Thank you for your time.
Posted by benshapirohero 3 months ago
benshapirohero
Sorry for my rudeness. I can get a little heated. ;)