Marajuana is good.

Marajuana has nothing to do with DWIs. That means Driving While Intoxicated. Intoxication is the physiological state produced by a poison or other toxic substance. Marajuana isn't toxic or poisonous because it is a natural herb brought by God, our Lord, not Satan.

My opponents definition of intoxication is false.

Substance Intoxication:

"Substance intoxication is a type of substance-induced disorder[1] which is potentially maladaptive and impairing, but reversible,[2] and associated with recent use.[3]"(1)

Marijuana highs have all of these effects.

My opponent also argues it is an herb. Although many herbs are beneficial, herbs are not inherently good. Herbs when abused generally have harmful side effects. Merely stating it is a plant is irrelevant to whether or not it is 'good'.

My opponents final argument is one vested in religious faith, something which many of us do not subscribe to.

My opponent, being pro, has the burden of proof but has done nothing to fulfill it.

Again I go back to the definition of intoxication. As you can see, the definition used by my opponent is from Wikipedia, a website of information that can easily be changed by anyone that pleases. For all we know, he could have simply hit edit and changed the definition.
Secondly my point brought up by the Lord giving us this herb is a valid point. Most of the world goes by the religion of either Christianity, Judaism, or Islamic. Yes, you can argue that muslims and jews do not go by this but they actually do. They just give it a different name. Those three religions are all connected.
Finally, a new point, marajuana can boost the economy. The government could just tax it and lower the debt. Marajuana also can make the mind more creative which can then boost productivity of workers and the methods they use to their work.
Also I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my debate. He is a valid opponent.

1. Definitions

My opponent has actually attacked my integrity and honesty, claiming I have edited the wikipedia article in question. Not only do I take offense to this, it is actually false. I would like to first note I wrote my first round on my iPhone, using the mobile version of the site I have yet to find an edit button. Even if we presume I am of the immoral lying personality group, and I did edit the webpage, other sources (that I cannot edit) have similar definitions. Using a different source, the definition of intoxication is as follows, “1. Stupefaction or excitement by the action of a chemical substance. 2. Exhilaration, excitement, or euphoria. 3. Poisoning by a drug or toxic substance.”[1]

Although there are three parts of the definition, lets go down each of the definitions and see if marijuana applies.

a) Excitement

The first part of the definition implies the users are excited, or are having pleasure, in the drug. Marijuana is a psychoactive drug. These drugs impair (or affect) the brain and its blood flow. Often altering a person’s mood [2]. During the high (during the action of the indulgence of the drug) people become “high”.These temporary effects cause the feeling of happiness, they become more animated (verbally), but often become calm and mellow. The users become excited, they like using the drug, when using it; that’s why people do it, hence marijuana fits the first definition [3].

b) Euphoria

This definition is essentially the same as the first.

c) Poisoning by a toxic drug or substance

As I contend, marijuana is a toxic drug. Although not as bad as other harmful drugs, the marijuana smoke is indeed toxic. Canadian studies actually reinforce my claims. reports, “The scientists found that ammonia levels were 20 times higher in the marijuana smoke than in the tobacco smoke, while hydrogen cyanide, nitric oxide and certain aromatic amines occurred at levels 3-5 times higher in the marijuana smoke, they say. The finding is “important information for public health and communication of the risk related to exposure to such materials,” say the researchers.”[4]

We can see fairly clearly marijuana is a toxic drug, however it is a poison? Let me reiterate: the source I am about to cite (source 6) specifically states marijuana causes euphoria, again backing my case for A and B. The definition of poison involves a substance that causes injury, illness, or death, especially by chemical means.[5] Marijuana impairs the brain; making it have memory, critical thinking problems, movement problems etc. For chronic users, these effects can last for weeks until the initial problems wear off. The effects on the overall body are disastrous [6]. Multiple studies have shown marijuana kills T-cells weakening the immune system making it easier to obtain an illness [7].

The third definition has been filled.

2. Religion

My opponent has argued the lord has given the world this herb for a reason. However, merely saying the majority of the people are in this religion really isn’t convincing. My opponent has not proved god, or any other deity, has created this herb to be a beneficial one. Regardless, for many people (many argue god exists, but they dislike marijuana; many are atheist; many are deist [he did not affect the world]; etc.) For all of those people, the argument is unconvincing. And for everyone reading, it is not convincing. You have not provided one scripture saying the lord made marijuana, and even if he did you have failed to prove it is good. The Lord made everything, however many of them bad, as I have argued marijuana is a “bad” substance. This point really is not convincing.

3. Economy

It depends on what we are debating. In round one, you have argued marijuana has no bad side effects. Now, we are arguing it seems an open-ended debate. Current legal drugs cause 100-200 billion dollars lost in productivity. Alcohol reaps 13 billion dollars in tax revenue but causes 100 billion dollars worth of damage [8].

Marijuana would decrease productivity, public health, and make jobs (like in machinery, auto etc.) less productive and have an increase in injury. This would then increase ER costs, and force an increase in taxes to pay for the costs, and then a loss in economic growth. I see it unlikely that marijuana will help the economy, it will either have no effect or have a slight downside.

theboat65 forfeited this round.

I think it's safe to say I win
Vote Placed by drafterman 3 years ago
Vote Placed by emj32 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Even though i strongly disagree with Con, he puts up stronger arguments. Pro has a weak foundation and his last round forfeit ends any chances of him winning. Also, welcome back to debating 16k