2019browntyler
ucannotbeatme

Marching Band Should Be Considered a Sport

ucannotbeatme has forfeited round #3.
Started: 3/17/2017 Category: Music
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

2019browntyler

Pro

My argument is that marching band should, in fact, be considered a sport. Also I believe that it should receive the same funding and opportunities as any other athletic group.
Field show marching band is usually a 3 month long process that requires intense training in order to learn a show. During this training, marchers have to be in the hot sun all day, holding up large brass tubes with moving their feet at a consistently fast tempo. Marchers also have to go through conditioning and yoga exercises that requires a lot of physical activity.
Not only that, but marching band is also a competitive group that goes up against other groups alike, once a week, in order to learn their overall ranking compared to other schools.
For these reasons, I believe that marching band should be considered a sport.
ucannotbeatme

Con

I can tell that your a nerd and probaly get picked on a lot. Congrats on that. Marching band is stupid and is that even a thing anymore. This is 2017 not 1980. Today we don't need marching bands. We have this amazing thing called a speaker. This thing called a speaker allows us to play music and it makes it really loud. Its quite amazing. Marching band is stupid. Its pretty much a thing for all the losers who either don't know anything about sports or arn't good enough to play sports. I don't think any parent wants to sit and hear their kid play crappy boring music. They want to see their kid on that court or on that field. I swear to god is Marching band is ever Considered a sport, I will leave this country and never come back.

So no. Marching Band should never be Considered a sport.
2019browntyler

Pro

Hello there! I would like to thank you for accepting my challenge, despite the rudeness and lack of decency. I will now commence with my counterargument, and I hope that we can have a nice, civil debate.
I would like to point out the redundancy in your first argument. I, personally, do not get picked on a lot, and I would like to consider myself a pretty cool person. In my area, people respect the marching arts, and marching band has become a social norm that everybody is excited to see (especially after watching a half of game of a ball being thrown around a football field.) Either way, this has nothing to do with the topic of marching band being a sport, and I hope that our adjudicators notice this.
Also, time and date has nothing to do with the merits of what goes on for marching band. In fact, it is a completely different activity compared to modern time and the 20th century. An example of this can be field style marching band. Drum Corps International was founded in 1972, which is a league consisting of drums and brass instruments that put together shows on a football field. Everybody thought this was crazy, until they actually brought themselves out to SEE the shows. Up until this day, the fan count is enough to fill half of Lucas Oil Stadium and is a great thing to put on a college or job application that has to do with the marching arts. This type of marching was soon to be a popular thing when it came to high school marching band, and hundreds of people still do it today. There are competitions and athletic buildup that come with this, which will be brought up later in this argument.
I would like to point out the redundancy in your 3rd claim, that there is "This thing called a speaker [that] allows us to play music and it makes it really loud." The first speaker ever invented was invented in 1898 by Oliver Lodge. Usually the speaker is used to play any sort of genre of music that you would like, and it would be more interesting to actually watch a live person perform at an event than an electronic device play it. Also, it has nothing to do with the original issue, "Marching band should be considered a sport."
I will ignore your 4th argument, as it is also redundant. It is your personal preference and I don't think that anybody who reads this debate will care what you think about marching band.
Your 5th argument was that you don't think the parents would like to hear their kid "crappy boring music." I can provide counter evidence otherwise , but I think it should go without saying. Here are some pretty cool videos of those marching bands that you think play "boring crappy music-"
https://youtu.be...
And a gropro shot to show their athleticism
https://youtu.be...
or this one-
https://youtu.be...
I would like you to watch them and mention them in your next argument. I will provide more efficient evidence of the athleticism of the marchers when you are able to make a acceptable argument of why marching band isn't a sport- not bashing it and expressing your personal views.
ucannotbeatme

Con

blah blah blah.
2019browntyler

Pro

Since you have failed to respond appropriately, I think That the voters should definitely vote for me. I will debate when you are ready to debate 😊
Posted by 2019browntyler 1 year ago
2019browntyler
Thank you for the kind words :)
Posted by FateAtrain 1 year ago
FateAtrain
Thank you 2019browntyler. You have a good argument for marching band being a sport. I hope somebody sees this and makes a change. I personally love band and marching band. ucannotbeatme, you are a very immature person, but thank you for the funny comedic relief.