itzdevin
Itsallovernow

Marching band is a sport

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 3/12/2011 Category: Sports

itzdevin

Pro

As defined by the Merriam-Webster international dictionary, Sport: physical activity engaged in for pleasure. When engaged in marching band, you are to do around 90% of the stretches and exercise that you do in football. And seeing as I played football for 3 years, this is knowledge I have experienced personally. As like football, there is a high school league, a college league, and a national major league association. And to add to it, the argument is made that more kids are out of shape in marching band, yet when you look at the linemen and the full defense of any football team, they are "out off shape." So to use the argument that marching band kids are out of shape is invalid. Finally, foot ball takes place primarily in part of fall and most of winter, where as in marching it takes place in a fall, spring and summer. Drumline's generally play all year-round. This is a behavior that you will not find in any other physical activity. Imagine this, you just made the football team. you are first string running back. But when you catch the ball, you find that it is 40+ pounds. So while running with this heavy ball, you have to run in an extremely precise way, while trying to keep in time with about 200 other people, and having to play a tune correctly. Oh, and you cant run into anyone or anything else. plus you have about 5 judges standing right next to you critiquing everything you do and another 3 judges about 60 feet away. and you have to do that for 10-15 minutes straight. Think about that one for a little.
Itsallovernow

Con

I believe my opponents definition is not accurate enough, so I will provide a more proper definition to gain a more accurate, unbiased perspective:

- an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition (wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn)

My opponent's stance is that marching band is a sport based on it's physical exertion.

However, for most sports, there must be athletes. Marching band is not an exerting enough activity to define the partakers as athletes, defined thusly:

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength (dictionary.com)

My opponent's relations to time-of-year is irrelevant. If it is a sport, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is played. The length of time is not the object of the debate.

And my opponent makes the analogy of a football player running with a 40lb. drum. While funny and comical, this is an exaggeration. Marching band members do not run, they march. Also, you keep on time with a singular, metronomic rhythm, not 200 people, just as those 200 follow the rhythm, not you. Furthermore, there are judges on every sport (however, judges alone do not define a sport).

My opponent has failed to satisfy the definition of sport and athlete. Therefore, I urge a

=CON VOTE=
itzdevin

Pro

First off, you do run while marching. For example, the 2008 show "Spartacus" by phantom regiment, they are running on many occasions. And you are running before, during, and after practice. Plus drums do get to 40 pounds. marching snares are composed mainly of metal. And marching quads are comprise from between 5-6 drums. And although you are correct about marching to a beat, that beat constantly fluctuates, and you do have to keep time with other members who are marching. Not only do you have to march in time, but you have to listen to the drumline to keep your tempo and focus on the drum major. Marching band (drum corps in specific) does require a lot of physical strain. If you were to practice for 4 hours and only taking 10 minutes total to get water. There for I do believe that marching is just as straining as any traditional sport.

I would also like to ask if my opponent has ever been in a corps before? because if not, then it would be unwise to argue without personal experience to back you up.
Itsallovernow

Con

Briefly, I participated in marching band, middle school. I have a close friend in high school who I pick up from marching band. I asked his opinion and he said, "I wouldn't classify it as a sport." When I asked him why, he said, "It's nothing like football. It's just for fun." I also asked him about the judges you mentioned. He said, "Yeah, there are judges that measure how well you keep in beat and alignment." This doesn't fit the definition for "sport" that you compare it to with football, my friend.

Marching band can be good exercise, but it does not involve enough physical activity to be called a physical sport. The quantity of practice has no relation to it's definement as a sport.
itzdevin

Pro

First off, is your friend part of Drum Corps International? And there is a large difference between high school and middle school. And different schools practice at different times. Mine generally lasted around 6 hours. When I played football, they laster about 3 hours. So that is more than enough to get an extensive workout. Most practices are around as long as football or any other sport is. So the same amount of physical activity is exerted. Plus instruments like baritones and tubas can be excruciatingly heavy for anyone. Same goes with the drumline, which some instruments can be around 20-40 lbs. And this is a fact. So the argument that there is not enough physical activity to where it can be considered a sport would not be correct. I am simply saying that it should be considered a full on sport like other physical activity's. It should also earn the same amount of respect that the others receive as well.
Itsallovernow

Con

Thank you for the debate.

It does not matter what kind of marching band my friend is you. You support the resolution "Marching band is a sport." It does not matter what division it is, such as it does not matter if you're in middle school basket ball or the NBA. Basketball is still a sport.

My opponent does not still seem to realize that how long you practice and the size of the practice area does not provide evidence to support the claim that it is a sport, nor the weight of something you carry.

My opponent's only valid argument is the amount of physical activity, however that alone is not enough to make it a sport, and it is a far strech to do so. Being in any band is a form of art, and art can not be considered a sport. They require much movement and practice, but pertain to the concept of human creativity and percision. Exhibition drill is the same way, and not technically a sport. Just because something is difficult doesn't make it a sport.

For example, stage concert, orchestra, theatre, dance- these things can be just as exhausting, and require the same, if not more practice. Dancer operate on a stage, not as big as a football field, but physically exerting. Art is something that takes a lifetime of practice. This does not make it a sport.

For these reasons, I urge you to

=VOTE CON=
Posted by flautist 2 years ago
flautist
I am in marching band, and I feel undervalued when people say that band is not a sport. We have to run, do push-ups, and lift cases that are 40+ pounds, just like any other sport. We have to breathe a certain way, move our fingers at a certain time, position, and angle, hold the horn up for 10+ minutes, (harder than it looks) step with a certain foot on a particular beat, keep a constant air flow going through the horn, memorize the exact note, tone and rhythm of each piece, memorize the feeling and look of each form, all while watching a drum major. This isn't even including the work it takes to memorize several pieces of music, the mental readiness and alert that must be built up, the countless hours it takes to set 30+ forms on a field and perfect them, problems that heat, rain, or the horn itself may cause. So next time, please don't try to judge something before you know all of the facts.
Posted by BenvolioandJuliet 3 years ago
BenvolioandJuliet
And I agree with Dmetal. If GOLF is a sport, then marching band definitely is. Golfers don't even has that much physical exertion. Sometimes they don't even walk to the next hole, they take a golf cart.
Posted by BenvolioandJuliet 3 years ago
BenvolioandJuliet
Oh and if you're not in marching band yourself, please don't even try to argue. You have no idea what it's even like. And FYI, I'd rather be a geek than a dork or a jerk. ;)
Posted by BenvolioandJuliet 3 years ago
BenvolioandJuliet
For all you haters who don't think marching band is a sport, read this.
First off, marching band does require a lot a physical exertion. After hours of endless practice, we often experience pain, soreness, stiffness, and sometimes even sports related injuries! For more info on this visit http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...
As for the "band geeks aren't athletes" part, that a buttload of lies. For the con voter's definition of athlete, band members qualify. Physical agility? Yeah we got it! Try jazz running or backwards marching with a sousaphone! Physical stamina? That's easy! Try marching while holding up an instrument for 2 hours with little breaks! Physical strength? Oh yeah....if you don't think we have or use strength, go outside in every kind of weather imaginable, hold up an instrument in perfect position for 2 hours straight, then come talk to me about who has strength.
Posted by asatrang337 3 years ago
asatrang337
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha good joke! Saying marching band a sport is like calling bird watching a sport.
Posted by NAZ18 3 years ago
NAZ18
This all mainly depends on what kind of marching band your school has. Some bands have a competing marching band where as others do not. If you have a competing marching band you practice a lot. It will mainly be three hours on school days and during the summer it could be all day long. Also marching band is a lot harder than any sport. There are so many things you have to be capable of doing. You have to memorize music, remember every spot you are put at and where the visuals are if you have any in your show, keep the tempo, watch the drum major, and most importantly keep time with everyone else. Also not all but most of the instruments that the people play on the field are not that easy to carry with the exception of the easier ones like the sax and clarinet, but the rest of them take strength even the flute because you have to keep it straight in the air the whole time without tilting it and bringing your arms down. Also in marching band you move around the field left to right, front to back without any breaks at all for twelve minutes minimum. Also you sprint across the field and not walk like most people think. So if you think about it marching band takes a lot more skill then football or any other sport.
Posted by brooklyn.spindler 3 years ago
brooklyn.spindler
When the average person thinks of sports they think of football, soccer, baseball, hockey, or basketball. Yeah those are all great sports, but what about those sports that aren't sports, but should be? Marching band should be considered a sport for many reasons. Marching band fits all the definitions for a sport (and it follows them to perfection). There are many statistics to reveal marching band is a sport and how hard the members work. As a member of Marching Band, I know we put forth at least 8 hours a day and practice to become the great athletes we are today.
Posted by cwalke3408 4 years ago
cwalke3408
Pro should of use this video to prove how physical drum corp can get.
Posted by Itsallovernow 5 years ago
Itsallovernow
I understand now;thanks
Posted by tornshoe92 5 years ago
tornshoe92
Read the vote reasons. Basically even after supplying your own definition for sport, you didn't counter pro's arguments effectively.
Vote Placed by ilovedebate 5 years ago
ilovedebate
itzdevinItsallovernowTied
Reasons for voting decision: asdf
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
itzdevinItsallovernowTied
Reasons for voting decision: Debate while consdered an art, is also considered a sport. Con did a great job of defending himself, frankly I don't see how he is losing.
Vote Placed by KRFournier 5 years ago
KRFournier
itzdevinItsallovernowTied
Reasons for voting decision: According to Con's definition, a sport is something physical exertion and competition. Pro showed both and Con was unable to show WHY band's physical exertion and competition was inadequate to meet the definition. (The no-true-scotsman fallacy) Con's writing style was easier to read, so I gave him a point.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
itzdevinItsallovernowTied
Reasons for voting decision: A good debate, because both side knew the subject and brought their knowledge to the debate. It's a borderline case. Consider "Dancing is a sport." The reason dancing is a sport is not that it lacks athleticism, but because the artistic content outweighs the athletic content. That didn't come up in this debate, which was entirely about athletic content. On that basis, I think Pro had the edge.
Vote Placed by Dmetal 5 years ago
Dmetal
itzdevinItsallovernowTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither made great arguments. Con never defined what was enough physical activity to define a sport.
Vote Placed by tornshoe92 5 years ago
tornshoe92
itzdevinItsallovernowTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con failed to adequately address many of pro's points and in multiple cases con dismissed pro's points without much argument.