Marching band should be considered a sport.

Started: 4/7/2013 Category: Sports

1st round for acceptance and opening statement.

2nd round for argument

3rd round for rebuttals

Sport: 1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

March:1 walk in a military manner with a regular measured tread.

Band: 2 a group of musicians who play together.

The burden of proof shall go to pro, since marching band isnot considered by most to be a sport.

Opening statement - I believe that marching band should be considered a sport since it fits the requirements of a sport.

Meow! I accept.

Based on the definition of sport there are four criteria I will attempt to prove marching band entails.

1. Must involve physical exertion.

2. Must involve skill

3. Competes against another or other team/s

4. Provides entertainment

Point 1. Marching involves some degree of physical exertion. If not the exertion of marching (equivalent to a fast walk) for 10 minutes, however small that may be, you also have the exertion of holding a 5 to 15lb instrument at approximately arms length for that amount of time.

Walking while carrying a heavy object, such as an instrument, burns a moderate amount of calories. It uses leg, core and upper body strength. Average person of 200lbs burns around 350 calories in a 60 minute class period.

Point 2. Marching band involves many skills such as playing an instrument correctly and in time. The skill of marching in time and being able to do unique visuals at times during a show. It also requires the skill of memorization and concentrating on the formation you are in.

Point 3. Marching bands regularly compete in 3 to 4 competitions per year. There are many competitions in the country in which multiple bands compete for a high score from 0-140 based on the following for a trophy and places.

20 points* Music Performance (Individual)
20 points* Music Performance (Ensemble)
20 points* Visual Performance (Individual)
20 points* Visual
Performance (Ensemble)
20 points Visual General Effect
40 points Music General Effect
Timing & Penalties Judge
*Averaged page 32 and 33

Point 4. The main purpose of a marching band is to provide entertainment for crowds during competition and football halftimes. In fact, crowd reaction is part of the score in a competition (General Effect).

These 4 points show that marching band is in fact a sport. To further my point, there are also professional bands for marching just like professional football. I don't see any reason that table tennis is considered a sport in the Olympics and marching band is not considered a sport.

turtlehunterofdoom forfeited this round.

I take it that this debate is over

Posted by Trystanharpold 3 years ago
Well no to choir because it involves no physical exertion as marching does which I have clearly stated. Also athletic ability is not one of the requirements of a sport as I have also proven. Finally marching band does not consist of simply marching in place, if you had seen an actual marching band before young posted a comment you would see that marching band requires coordination and precision to complete each form correctly. In this debate I'm refering to American high school marching band instead of the less developed. Watch this video if you seem to think marching band is simply standing in place. I recommend skipping to 2:10 to skip the on field entrance.
Posted by swimmergal 3 years ago
It doesn't really take athletic ability. Athletic ability makes up all of the famous sports. (marching in place doesn't count) Therefore if marching band was a sport, then shouldn't choir?