emporer1
JasmineDhillon

Marcus Kane should be made Chancellor again on the 100, Season 3

emporer1
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

emporer1

Pro

Hello, I am looking to debate about whether or not Marcus Kane should be made Chancellor of the Ark during the 100 season 3. I will be arguing that Kane should become Chancellor again, while my opponent will argue against this. The debate will be about the TV series only. Please make sure you have a thorough knowledge of The 100 seasons 1 and 2 ( and of course are aware of the characters. ). For anybody reading this who is not yet through seasons 1 and 2, THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS! With that said, I hope to hear some good feedback in the comments.

First round is acceptance.
JasmineDhillon

Con

Hi, I am a remarkable fan of The 100 (and this feeling is most likely mutual) and I look foreword to acknowledging your opinions about why Marcus Kane should be made Chancellor in The 100 Season 3, although I do not hold the same opinions. I look foreword to Round 2 where 'the big guns will be brought out' (arguments will be stated).
emporer1

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate. I am glad to have a fellow 100 fan to debate with and look forward to hearing your opinions. I will go on to list several reasons why I believe Marcus Kane should be Chancellor of the Ark.

1. his ability to maintain peace with the grounders

Marcus Kane displayed a talent for earning the respect of others. over the course of the show Kane maage to gain the respect of both Commander Lexa and Indra (who's not easily impressed). this respect, both for Kane skill in combat and for his diplomacy and peace keeping skills, would make Lexa and other grounder leaders more likely to listen to him then Abby, for example. Kane woud be better able to maintain the peace between the two.

2. his ability to lead and fight a war.

Over the course of the show Kane displayed an incredibly close relationship with the Ark guard. Kane appeared to be the leader of the guard and was even seen constantly accompanying them towards trouble. As Kane has gained an incredible amount of unspoken respect from the Guard he would be best at leading them in war. After the season 2 finale it is not impossible to foresee war renewed between the Ark and the Grounders. Kane has been shown to be the closest thing the guard have to a General or Leader. Kane is the most obvious choice for Chancellor when you re looking for someone to lead a war effort. The guard relate to and listen to Marcus Kane. If he couldn't keep the peace he could probably wage a war.

3. his dedication to upholding the law and rebuilding society.

Marcus Kane has been seen as "that guy who arrests people and punishes them" (particularly in season 1). Kane is known for making sure that people remain civilized. law is a very necessary part of civilization and society. the ancient Sumerians, Egyptians and Chinese ( some of the first civilations ) had well established legal systems, courts and police forces. Kane also shows that he will change the law to suit the environment better (unlike a dictator). Kane sentenced Abby to ten shock lashes for aiding and abiding fugitives. On the Ark the sentence would have been death. Marcus has, in many ways, proven to be the best choice to rebuild the legal system and the government. Abby Griffin, in contrast, breaks the law on several occasions. She has used her Chancellor position to bend and break the law. Abby Is a good person, but she prioritises her daughter over her people. That isn't a bad thing, just something that serves as a handicap ( a handicap the Kane doesn't have ).

4. Kane agreement with Abby

the exact quote is " I need to know that, while I'm away, you will set a good example. I need you to be Chancellor." please note that Kane said "while I'm away" right before "I need you to be Chancellor" the only break in between those two sentences was Abbys reply to sentence one (" If you do this, I will be a model citizen"). It seems implied that Kane would take the position back once he returned and only gave it away because he was going on a dangerous mission he was not sure he would come back from. He simply made Abby interim Chancellor in his absence. Later, in the episode titled "Spacewalker", Abby says "no offense Marcus, but I'm keeping the job until this is over". In this statement Abby says "until this is over" in reference to the situation with Mount Weather and the 47. given that Carl Emerson is the last known survivor of mount weather and that the 47 have been rescued it appears as though it is over. Now the war with the Mountain Men has ended it is logical to believe that Kane should be returned to the Chancellors seat.

5. Kane has made strides as a character

over the course of two seasons, the character of Marcus Kane has changed and developed in many ways. Marcus has had such great character that I am itching to see more.

Those are a few reasons why I believe Marcus Kane should be Made Chancellor of the Ark again.
JasmineDhillon

Con

tbh your arguments are extremely well written but I just think that Kane will just kill the plot, he's a boring guy. BELLAMY FOR CHANCELLOR!!
emporer1

Pro

Thank you for the compliment about my arguments. Sorry I took this long to respond also. I believe that Marcus Kane is not Infact, a boring character. Kane has had incredible character development across the first two seasons and continues to develop as a charter. He also tends to hear out the Juveniles more often then Abby did for example. Kane far more often listens to Clarke and Bellamy and works around their ideas then Abby (who has shown a "my way or the highway" mentality).
In all honesty I believe that Kane has developed so much as a character ( and continues to do so ), that I think even those who think Kane is boring now will find him interesting. As my round 2 arguments suggest ( and there are more where those came from ) Kane is also the best, and most obvious choice for Chancellor. Bellamy is a great character and has displayed leadership traits but, at this time, I do not believe that he is capable of serving as Chancellor. The position of Chancellor requires leadership, diplomacy, relatability to your people and of course politics. Bellamy is a leader but to call him a diplomat would be a huge stretch. Not to mention that the Ark is majority adults who would not see Bellamy as old or experienced enough to be a serious leader. Bellamy also isn't the type of character who should be spending screen time in a council room. Bellamy's place is in the feild. Sorry again about how long it took me to respond.
JasmineDhillon

Con

I feel that Bellamy has made many sacrifices and taken many risks for the well being of others. Bellamy deserves the right to represent the youth and even adults. His being chancellor would act as a symbol which would show all the hard work of the original 100.
emporer1

Pro

I dont think Bellamy is ready for the political position of Chancellor. as well as the reasons stated in round 3, I feel as though someone with more experience should hold that position. If any youth were to be chosen by the population it would likely be Clarke but seeing as she is no longer at camp Jaha that isn't possible. Kane's experience as Vice Chancellor and his experience with the Gaurd make him the perfect fit. Bellamy's screen time would be better spent out in the feild. Bellamy is great in combat and that is where he is needed. In Season 2 Bellamy showed us that when he infiltrated Mount Weather. In a military or war time setting Bellamy would be equatible to a feild officer such as a Lieutenant or Captain. Kane would be equatible to a General. Kane has the clear and obvious respect of many members of the Guard and much of the population (as we see in the season 1 finale).

Bellamy is great at leading feild combat and survival but that is only a mere fraction of the duties held by the Chancellor. Channcellors must be adept at politics and law as well. Bellamy's first "legal" system on earth was (please excuse the censoring) "Whatever the H___ we want". That does not sound like establishing a society on earth to me. Kane meanwhile sentenced Abby to 10 shock lashes for aiding and abiding known fugitives. Kane also confiscated unnecessary weapons citing "the exodus charter". Clearly political office is more Kane's forte. Not to mention that Bellamy isn't the kind of person to spend hours at a Council meeting.

Kane proves time and time again to be the best option for Chancellor (especially if you want someone who could deal with the grounders in both war and peace). Chancellor Kane also managed to make great contributions to the Ark and has saves the lives of many people from it (including directly: Abby,Thelonious,Bellamy,several secondary characters, and Litterly hundreds of Ark residence via the retaking of Ark command and control center.) Kane also saw to the constriction of Camp Jaha and much of the negotiations with the Commander.)

I encourage everybody to vote Marcus Kane Channcellor of the Ark.
JasmineDhillon

Con

JasmineDhillon forfeited this round.
emporer1

Pro

Con has forfeited.

I reiterate all above arguments.

Vote Pro!
JasmineDhillon

Con

JasmineDhillon forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
emporer1JasmineDhillon
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
emporer1JasmineDhillon
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture