MasterDb8
Themeaman909

Marijuana Legalization in Canada

MasterDb8

MasterDb8

Pro

I think that marijuana should be legalized. I currently live in Canada. Justin Trudeau was recently elected prime minister. One of Justin's promises that he made for once he was elected was that marijuana (a very controversial topic) should be legalized. From my brief research I have come to a conclusion. There are obviously dangers to marijuana being legalized, but the same risks are taken with any alcohol intake. Most of the same rules would apply if weed was legalized, because when you're "high" you're in an altered state. You would very strictly not be allowed to drive.
Where would you buy it? The local drug store. They would need to I.D you. The marijuana (now legalized) would be grown, and manufactured safely. It wouldn't be laced with any crazy drugs like fentanyl or something dangerous like that.
After hundreds of years of use of the marijuana drug there's been a perfect rate of absolutely zero recorded deaths. There are very few (less than alcohol) risk that are taken with recreational use of marijuana.
Themeaman909

Con

Ok. I know that it seems safer than alcohol and tobacco, but would it still be a good idea to legalize it? I think ( and this is my own opinion) that all substances ( alcohol, tobacco, and other harmful drugs not intended for treatment) should have RESTRICTED uses (not banned) . I know how alcohol and tobacco are easy to get and very well legal, but what if marijuana was of this to? I know it isn't as deadly, but the other two substances are widely accepted. Take for example in the early 19th century, when selling alcohol became illegal in the USA. People where smuggling it left and right and the government eventually just gave up on the law and peace was restored. So that rules out alcoholic substances from being eliminated, but I think more strict laws should be made on the sale of alcohol. And I understand why illegal marijuana is more deadly, but it's not the death that is the only problem (although it certainly is a big one) it is also the fact that people would have another way to lower self esteem. Imagine if it was legalized today? It may stop riots from druggies, but could start ones involving people like me ( who want to stop substance abuse). It could also stop drug dealing, since it would be legal to sell, but it also would allow younger people to hurt there self esteems by being reduced to the level of drug abusers. I'm not saying everyone in the nation would start smoking it, but some people would definitely do so. Why say "we should add it because it isn't so bad", and instead think that "why add another drug people can abuse?"

I will wrap this up saying that if you think that it wouldn't be fair not to legalize it, try to see the other side in that it could hurt the picture of our nation (just like alcohol and tobacco do!) Try using the cup analogy for this conflict. Is it half empty, or half full? Is it not fair for it to be legal, or will it just hurt us even further. In reality, it depends on how you look at it in a way.

P.S. This debate only concerns the use of marijuana for the public legally, not for medical uses in hospitals.
MasterDb8

Pro

Okay yeah you make a valid argument saying that we should restrict most substances that can be abused.
But the thing is... marijuana is still being abused no matter what we do. Even if we take extreme measures against marijuana use, people will still continue to use it. Also marijuana isn't addictive so it doesn't really affect our decisions when we aren't high. Also another common misconception that is made is that when people smoke weed they go out of the house and get into trouble and put other people in danger. But that's not the case. When someone smokes weed the only thing they want to do is sit at home, eat a lot of food, and watch movies. Yeah that also intrigues the argument that people are much less productive when they're high. When someone's high they are much more creative. They come up with come with some very useful product and ideas.
Themeaman909

Con

I see you think it makes people more creative, but if your watching TV and eating from a ice cream tub, your "creativity" isn't going to come in good use. I laughed at the end when you said "useful product and ideas," because I imagined a boss walking in to a meeting, and seeing a bunch of 70's style hippies smoking weed trying to come up with a weird product such as a quadricycle with a jet engine. (That's just my humor). Anyways, usually people smoke it because they are influenced by someone else, and they think they won't be on their own. Eventually, it gets to them, and they want to stop. The fact that it isn't addictive, sounds wrong to me, and I found proof on this trusty online article, "Yes, marijuana can be addictive. Over time, overstimulation of the endocannabinoid system by marijuana use can cause changes in the brain that lead to addiction, a condition in which a person cannot stop using a drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. It is estimated that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it. The number goes up to about 17 percent in those who start using young (in their teens) and to 25 to 50 percent among daily users. According to the 2013 NSDUH, marijuana accounted for 4.2 million of the estimated 6.9 million Americans dependent on or abusing illicit drugs. Marijuana addiction is linked to a mild withdrawal syndrome. Frequent marijuana users often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks." (http://www.drugabuse.gov...). The article also contains other good points about the drugs affects (I won't site all of them, you'll have to read them yourself). The article uses the word "dependent" and this usually refers to an addiction. It also causes permanent damage to the brain during adolescence, and if we legalize it, than it will allow more adolescents to obtain it more easily. And a concern I have been thinking of is how parents won't be able to stop their children from smoking marijuana when their children grow up. It will be perfectly legal, so the poor parents have to watch their child become an esteemless wreck, and they can't do anything but weep. Is that so great for society? We need to at least consider that. And make sure you read the article, because it has some good points that work great for evidence. (At least for ME!)
MasterDb8

Pro

MasterDb8 forfeited this round.
Themeaman909

Con

Hmmm.... My opponent has forfeited on the last round. He has left a BIG gaping hole in his argument. Thus he can not possibly win. I have nothing to say or rebuttal, so I will just say this. Vote for con because, my opponent has forfeited, they haven't rebutted anything I have said, and their argument is weak.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
I'm a big dick? Well I am so sorry that I ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THE FUNCTIONALITY OF OUR SOCIETY!! I don't understand why you all wan't more drugs? I guess I will never know about you drug fanatics...
Posted by iTziPocalyspe 1 year ago
iTziPocalyspe
There was the server glitch, he prolly could not go to this debate
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
You only have 4 hours, come on!
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
Thats it! I'm accepting to try and prove to you that substance abuse shouldn't be taken so freely!
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
Legalize marijuana? This would make everyone druggies! Everyone who can afford it would get high. Do you want our society to be full of hippies on drugs?
Vote Placed by iTziPocalyspe 1 year ago
iTziPocalyspe
MasterDb8Themeaman909Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Master had many swaying points and Con seems like a big dick. there was the server glitch and pro couldnt finish :/