danielawesome12
Gondun

Marijuana Legalization.

Gondun

danielawesome12

Pro

The first round will be acceptance so make sure your argument counts.
Gondun

Con

I accept this debate. We are better off keeping marijuana illegal.

Also, the Burden of Proof is on the Pro for making the positive claim.
danielawesome12

Pro

I thank you for accepting my debate here are my reasons for wanting Marijuana Legalized
http://thinkprogress.org...
http://www.cnn.com...
http://www.alternet.org...
1. I believe all US citizens should be allowed Life, Liberty, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS
2. the most common idea is that they prevent people from harming themselves and from causing harm to the culture. But laws against self harm always stand on shaky ground, as they are, on the idea that the government knows what's better for you than you do and no good ever comes from making governments the guardians of culture.
3. You don't have to look hard to find examples of lives needlessly destroyed by marijuana prohibition laws. The government arrests over 700,000 Americans for marijuana possession every year. These new convicts are driven from their jobs and families. Then pushed into a prison system that turns first time offenders into hardened criminals.
4. Marijuana prohibition has created an underground economy, where crimes unrelated to marijuana but connected to those who sell and use it, go unreported. End result: real crimes become harder to solve.
5. A recent Fraser Institute study found that legalizing and taxing marijuana could produce considerable revenue.
6. Marijuana is not a lethal drug and is safer than alcohol. It is a scientific fact that marijuana is not toxic to humans; marijuana overdoses are nearly impossible, and marijuana is not nearly as addictive as alcohol or tobacco. It is unfair and unjust to treat marijuana users more harshly under the law than the users of alcohol or tobacco.
7. Both the fiber (bast) and pulp (hurd) of the hemp plant can be used to make paper. Fiber paper was the first kind
of paper, and the first batch was made out of hemp in ancient China. Fiber paper is thin, tough, brittle, and a
bit rough. Pulp paper is not as strong as fiber paper, but it is easier to make, softer, thicker, and preferable for
most everyday purposes. The paper we use most today is a`chemical pulp' paper made from trees. Hemp pulp paper can be made without chemicals from the hemp hurd. Most hemp paper made today uses the entire hemp stalk, bast and hurd. High-strength fiber paper can be made from the hemp baste,also without chemicals.
Gondun

Con

I will first counter my opponent's arguments, then provide some of my own.

1. The pursuit of happiness is not a good reason to make something legal. I'm sure murder and rape make some people happy, but that is not a good reason to legalize them.
2. The government certainly does have the right to tell people that they cannot smoke marijuana. The Pro's only argument here is that it is "on shaky ground", but that is not a real argument. The government does have the right to do this because there are far more health risks than benefits, which I will explain latter on in my argument.
3. The Pro's argument that marijuana crimes ruin lives is not valid. Of course getting arrested for committing a crime will be bad for you; that's one of the main reasons behind the justice system. We should not legalize something just because the punishment hurts them. By that logic, we should make everything legal and have no laws.
4. Pro says that marijuana creates a criminal underground, but gives no indication that legalizing marijuana would help solve this. Marijuana is just one of many of gang related "illegal money-making activities, which include robbery, drug and gun trafficking, fraud, extortion, and prostitution rings." [1] You can see here that there are many more crimes than illegal marijuana sales going on here, so legalizing one of them would not make all of them go away.
5. Pro says that we should legalize marijuana because it would bring in tax revenue, but that would go against the moral code of America. Legalizing marijuana for the purpose of tax revenue would be akin to the government taking bribes. We would be allowing a criminal act to take place in return for money. Bribery is against American honor and should not be a reason to legalize marijuana.
6. Pro's point about how alcohol and tobacco are already legal does not advance her case at all. I personally believe that alcohol and tobacco hurt our society, so her point is more of a reason to outlaw alcohol and tobacco. Just because alcohol and tobacco are legal doesn't mean that they should be, therefore this point falls.
7. The last argument about hemp being made into paper is irrelevant. The paper we use today works just fine. The harm that marijuana causes greatly outweighs our need for a new kind of paper.

Now, onto my argument.
The main reason that marijuana should not be legalized is the harmful effects it has on the smoker's health. Smoking marijuana, especially at a young age, can have seriously detrimental effects on the smoker's mental capacity. A Science Daily report said that "people who start using marijuana at a young age and those who use the greatest amount of marijuana may be the most cognitively impaired". [2] Smoking marijuana also increases the risk of cancer. Men's Health says that "men who reported smoking pot in the past were twice as likely to have certain types of testicular cancer". [3] Finally, government studies say that "marijuana users generally report lower life satisfaction, poorer mental and physical health, relationship problems, and less academic and career success compared to their peers who came from similar backgrounds". [4] This should be enough reason to keep marijuana illegal.

1. http://www.fbi.gov...
2. http://www.sciencedaily.com......
3. http://news.menshealth.com......
4. http://www.drugabuse.gov......
Posted by danielawesome12 3 years ago
danielawesome12
your kidding right his refutation isn't even valid
The pursuit of happiness is valid because the common good is protected as they aren't in rape and mureder 2. No the goverment shouldn't be allowed to strip citizens of basic human rights and 3 Marijuana was only illegal in the 1st place due to bribes from the wood companies, and taxes aren't bribes because politicians don't make the money the money goes forth for new roads and jobs.
Posted by GeekiTheGreat 3 years ago
GeekiTheGreat
Im all for Con. His arguments and counter-arguments were much more convincing.
Posted by danielawesome12 3 years ago
danielawesome12
Hard to think of one, I guess protect Western Culture but then again change can be good.
Posted by effimero89 3 years ago
effimero89
While I am completely on the "pro" side... I trying to think of a good "con" argument hmmmm
Vote Placed by Valladarex 3 years ago
Valladarex
danielawesome12GondunTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con successfully refuted Pro's points. Despite the fact i completely disagree with con's argument for having it illegal, he made a better case than pro.
Vote Placed by Cowboy0108 3 years ago
Cowboy0108
danielawesome12GondunTied
Reasons for voting decision: I want to have marijuana legalized. I do not like some of Gondun's arguments but the majority had merit. However, none of Pro's arguments were decent other than taxing it. I didn't like Con's health concerns, if someone wants to kill themselves, let them.
Vote Placed by jackintosh 3 years ago
jackintosh
danielawesome12GondunTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con took the debate, but for all the wrong reasons. Good job though.