TylerRutherford120
ginga_ninja

Marijuana Legalization

TylerRutherford120

TylerRutherford120

Pro

Marijuana should not be illegal. People assume just because it was made illegal it's a terrible thing. My first point is that marijuana is less addictive than caffeine. So your more likely to become addicted to your morning coffee than marijuana. Second, it relieves stress (just a note I've never done any drugs in my life) Next, marijuana is only dangerous when taken in extreme doses. Lastly as mean as it sounds, God gave us free will and it's important to understand that our choices come with consequences. I don't want this to become a religious argument but God or No-God we still have free will.
ginga_ninja

Con

I strongly disagree, because marijuana is considered the "gateway drug" it's considered the gateway drug because it may not be as addictive as coffee. However, it leads to abuse with many other illegal substances like pot, meth, or weed. Point 2, it has several negative effects like academic/mental ability, if you start to smoke marijuana at the age of 13 or 14, your brain will only be able to process like a 16 or 17 year olds. Just think of how that will effect you when you want a job. lets say you want to work for some serious computer company, and all you can do is process things at a 16 or 17 year old brain level. Chances are that you will not get the job. This is why I strongly agree with marijuana being illegal.
TylerRutherford120

Pro

I think it's important to remember here that I only said to legalize marijuana. People who use the drug as the gateway you described will be prosecuted and most likely arrested the same way drug users are today. If your worry is that more people will start using more intense drugs like meth or cocaine, the system would still work the same way it currently does with those drugs. I think that the amount of users that moved on to those "level 2" drugs would be a smaller percent than those who don't and only do marijuana. Yes people are going to do cocaine and meth but that group I'd hope would be much much smaller than the group of people using marijuana.
ginga_ninja

Con

Contention 1)
Contrary to the beliefs of those who advocate the legalization of marijuana, the current balanced, restrictive, and bipartisan drug policies of the United States are working reasonably well and they have contributed to reductions in the rate of marijuana use in our nation.

Contention 2)
The rate of current, past 30-day use of marijuana by Americans aged 12 and older in 1979 was 13.2 percent. In 2008 that figure stood at 6.1 percent. This 54-percent reduction in marijuana use over that 29-year period is a major public health triumph, not a failure.

Contention 3)
Marijuana is the most commonly abused illegal drug in the U.S. and around the world. Those who support its legalization, for medical or for general use, fail to recognize that the greatest costs of marijuana are not related to its prohibition; they are the costs resulting from marijuana use itself.
TylerRutherford120

Pro

TylerRutherford120 forfeited this round.
ginga_ninja

Con

If marijuana were to be legalized, consumption of it would likely increase. Along with that would likely come health and community costs: increase in accidents due to motor impairment, increase in associated illnesses such as cancer, as is the case with cigarette smoking, as well as the multiple hospitalizations and surgeries often accompanying those addicted to nicotine. Marijuana is not harmless; it is addictive, and it does affect the brain. Do you want to be on the road with a bunch of stoned drivers? Think about it....
TylerRutherford120

Pro

ginga_ninja

Con

ginga_ninja forfeited this round.
TylerRutherford120

Pro

ginga_ninja

Con

ginga_ninja forfeited this round.
Posted by alinta22 3 years ago
alinta22
The suggestion that marijuana has potential to cause cancer goes against several well respected studies. One that was published in 2007 in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute Advance Access identifies marijuana's anti carcinogenic effects. A study done at UCLA in 2006 showed that not only does smoking marijuana not cause lung cancer, as had been previously thought, but that smoking cannabis actually protects the lungs from cancer. I have a right to protect myself from cancer using something that the Earth has given me.
Vote Placed by gabbsmcswaggin 3 years ago
gabbsmcswaggin
TylerRutherford120ginga_ninjaTied
Reasons for voting decision: the only reason i think pro wins is because con said "marijuana is considered the "gateway drug" it's considered the gateway drug because it may not be as addictive as coffee. However, it leads to abuse with many other illegal substances like pot, meth, or weed." so if you dont know enough about marijuana to know its the same thing as pot and weed you shouldnt debate on it