Marijuana Legalization

1st round is acceptance keep it civil and support your argument with facts, examples, history, and statistics. No speculating.

2nd round is opening argument
3rd round rebuttal
4th round conclusion

I take the stance of pro legalization.

Challenge accepted

Mankind for tens of thousands of years have depended on the male cannabis plant for textile's. Up until the industrial revolution when such bi products of oil replaced the hemp plant. Now instead of getting paper, rope, clothing, and various other textiles from an environmentally safe plant which absorbs carbon from the soil cleans the air and uses little to no pesticides. We began to use the bi products of oil which I'm sure there is no need for me to elaborate that it is harmful to the environment. Companies such as DuPont and Standard oil campaigned heavily against the plant due to the fact that they could not compete with the hemp industry with there by products like polyester and nylon rope. They spread propaganda against the cannabis plant and demonized it to the American public. Most likely the reason my opponent opposes my argument is because of the demonetization of marijuana.

History has shown You cannot legislate morality. What people do in the privacy of their homes as long as they bring no harm to anyone's person or property is not an affair of the government. A government that tells me its OK to drink a poison that will destroy my liver but I cant smoke a harmless plant is unfit to rule other men. A good example of why you cannot legislate morality would be the prohibition of Alcohol in the early 1900's. It created a black market which funded the growth of organized crime in America. The alcohol being made was unregulated and often dangerous. Many deaths occurred by bad alcohol ,gang violence, and police violence against gangs and visa verse. After the prohibition ended the criminals could no longer profit from it. This would be the case if we legalized marijuana in America, taxed it and regulated it. The price of marijuana would drop drastically because there will be no product intercepted by police. which is a common problem for drug cartels that they write off. This would undercut the black market and effectively cut off the largest source of funding for the drug cartels in Mexico.

The movement for legalization has gained much ground over the past decade and continues to gain momentum with recreational marijuana legal in two states ,legal medically in 23 states, and Florida legalized a medical strand "Charlotte's web" for children with epilepsy. Washington is still in the early stages of releasing the product to the public. Colorado however is well on their way. Since cannabis has been legal in Colorado crime has gone down in Denver. Homicides went down 53%, automobile break-ins 36%, and sexual assaults 14%.

The prohibition of marijuana is harmful to society in many ways. It creates a gateway to other drugs because drug pushers often use it to draw in young kids then later get them hooked to more addictive drugs. Without a black market the gateway effect of marijuana is completely nullified. It would be difficult for children to get a hold of it when it is regulated. The fact that people who have used heavier drugs have also used marijuana does not give evidence that it is a gateway drug. Many users never move on to other drugs.

Earlier in my paragraph I wrote of marijuana being a harmless plant. Allow me to elaborate, there are no recorded deaths from overdose in history. It is physically impossible to overdose on marijuana. There are certain cases where people are hospitalized after having smoked weed but none of which have resulted in injury or death. Its just simply a case of someone shocking there system to more tetrahydrocannabinol(THC) then they are used to. It relieves pain and helps cancer patients eat and live comfortably. There are strands with no THC in them that are safe to give to children for treating epilepsy and it is the most effective and safest medicine on the market. It is also a safer alternative for many patients who are in pain with no liver damage or risk of addiction to pain pills.

It is fiscally and socially irresponsible to continue the prohibition of marijuana. it causes much suffering and accomplishes nothing.

Hemp plant facts.
FDA re evaluates marijuana classification. Marijuana is currently classified as a schedule one with heroin. which is supposed to mean it has no health benefits and clearly all of the doctors and scientists aren't wrong the FDA is.
Medical benefits suppressed by jail system.
10 health benefits.
Crime down in Colorado.

Marijuana is the most abused illegal in the U.S and around the world. Those who support its legalization for medical or for general use, fail to recognize that the greatest costs of marijuana are not related to its prohibition; they are costs from marijuana itself. Legalized gambling has not reduced illegal gambling; rather marijuana has increased it. The illegal drug suppliers deals drugs with marijuana. If Marijuana was legalized, then the only way of eliminating its illegal trade of coacine which could have been the modest way in comparison, would be to sell marijuana untaxed and legally to a willing buyer.

Marijuana is the most abused illegal in the U.S and around the world."

Marijuana by definition cannot be abused. It is a medicinal herb, and a textile crop. It is America's number one cash crop. Abusing marijuana is the equivalent of abusing corn.

" Those who support its legalization for medical or for general use, fail to recognize that the greatest costs of marijuana are not related to its prohibition; they are costs from marijuana itself. "

Costs such as lowering the crime? Costs such as creating jobs? Costs such as earning revenue to pay the deficit? Costs such as protecting our rights? Please elaborate. The only subject still up for debate is what impact legalization of marijuana would have on traffic accidents resulting in fatalities. Seeing as how Marijuana is already the most widely enjoyed drug, the true argument lies with how an increase of use would effect the number of traffic accidents. Lets go to the charts for this one for some actual proof.
click below for actual proof.

When marijuana use Soared in the sixties and seventies Highway safety was improving and still continued to improve at a quicker rate afterwards mainly attributed to new safety standards and features in automobiles. It proves that highway safety is unaffected by the increased use of marijuana. The testing for marijuana intoxication is very inaccurate. It can stay lingering in your system longer then any other illegal substance. This is due to that fact that your liver does not prioritize THC as a substance that needs to be cleaned out of the blood stream. Thus remnant traces of THC stay in your blood for up to 7 days after just a one time use and longer for regular users. Their is no way to prove if marijuana is directly attributed to any single car accident.

"Legalized gambling has not reduced illegal gambling; rather marijuana has increased it. "

Gambling can be done anywhere there is a group of people with cash. Selling marijuana is a different dynamic the cartels will have costly obstacles in their way in order to smuggle drugs into America as they do now. They take that risk and spend that money because there is a good return with a market that is unregulated where you can control the price. Marijuana is relatively cheap to grow in high yields in just about any environment as long as it gets adequate sunlight. The growers in America wont have these obstacles. At the moment legal marijuana in Colorado is just beneath street value. This is a matter of supply and demand. Once more growers are established and the supply can meet the demand the price will drop. Legalized gambling is not a proper comparison.

My Opponent has failed to provide any proof, evidence, or elaboration for his arguments. I have expanded on and provided proof for every point I have argued.(although it seems as if he didn't even read my opening argument) The fact of the matter is their are no facts or actual statistics that suggest the legalization of marijuana would be harmful in anyway. Thus the reason my opponent has not provided any.

Marijuana deals and buys drugs for the patients illegally and sells them at much higher costs. The abused drugs means that they use dried leaves, hemp plants etc. which contains phycoactive or mind-altering chemical namely delta-9, tetrahydrocannabinol(THC) as well as other related compounds which causes diminished mind common among the youth. When marijuana is smoked, THC rapidly passes through the lungs into the bloodstreams which carries the chemical to the nrain and other parts of body. It is absorbed more slowly than ingested food or drink. However it is ingested, THC acts on specific molecular targets like nrain cells called canabinoid receptors. I will say rest of the arguement in the next round.

My opponent has waited until the third round until providing any proof and could not even complete his argument before the concluding round. He has argued that the negative effects on the brain are reason enough to continue the failed war on the plant. Very little is know about how marijuana effects the brain. We know that the brain reacts with the cannabinoid receptors to produce the high effect. Past that not much more is known on how these receptors effect brain function. The research that has been conducted thus far on the effects of marijuana on the brain have all been inconclusive due to the limited scope of the study. In more recent research using brain scans to gauge the change in brain activity have shown that their is no effect on the development of adolescence who used marijuana. If Marijuana was legalized research could proceed unimpeded by prohibition and if any negative effects exist they can be genetically modified out of the strain. If the prohibition continues marijuana use will continue to rise due to the fact that people are becoming more educated and less afraid of using.

Now for my closing argument

Marijuana is the number one cash crop in America. It has over 400 medical applications, and over 1000 textile applications. There are no recorded deaths from marijuana. Statistics show clearly that the increased use of marijuana among the population has no negative ramifications. The prohibition on marijuana creates a huge black market in which drug cartels can profit and spread violence. It also aids to fund private prisons and contributes to America's growing police state. It is a window for law enforcement to violate your 4th amendment rights. You cannot legislate morality as it has been shown with both the prohibition of marijuana and alcohol. The prohibition of marijuana has slowed the study of a useful agricultural and medicinal plant.

It is fiscally and socially irresponsible to continue the failed prohibition of marijuana.

Marijuana affects the brain and it is proved. If my pro doesn't believe this you can go to
Now for the closing arguement.
Marijuana has a wide range of effects specially on cardiopulmonary and mental health. Many like you have called for marijuana legalizationto treat conditions like pain and nausea caused by HIV/AIDS, cancer and other conditions, but clinical evidence has not shown therapeutic benifits of marijuana plant outweigh its health risks. As marijuana plant contains hundreds of chemical compounds that may have different effects and because marijuana plant is typically ingested via smoking, its use as a medicine is difficult to evaluate. Contrary to FDA marijuana is addictive. Estimated results shows that about 9% of users are addictive and which jas increased among young users of 17years toabout 19% and who use marijuana daily to 20-25%. Research shows that marijuana causes problems in daily life and make existing problems worse. Heavy marijuana users report lower life satisfaction, poorer physical and mental health, more relationships problems and decrease in academic and carrier success. Thank you. Nice debating with you.
Posted by AvidActivist 2 years ago
The one reference my opponent uses is from clearly a biased source I however provided sources which are more recent and unbiased.
Posted by AvidActivist 2 years ago
ill take my sweet time.
Posted by Suryayan 2 years ago
Without wasting time post ur arguement man.
Posted by AvidActivist 2 years ago
I wish you would have accepted my debate challenge Indiana Frank. You seem like an intelligent person.
Posted by AvidActivist 2 years ago
yes indeed i have a counter argument for that a really good one too, but ill cover it in my rebuttal.
Posted by IndianaFrank 2 years ago
I'm sure everyone will jump all over me for this but I post the truth.

People smoke marijuana to get high. That's a fact. To get high means by definition to alter your perception of reality. That's the same as ingesting too much alcohol because it also alters your perception of reality. If people would use it at home only and not drive then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But we know that's not the case. They will smoke it, get high and drive thus its the equivalent of drunk driving so why should we double or triple the number of impaired drivers on the roads ?

As for the remark about nobody overdosing on marijuana that may be true but how many under the influence of marijuana have been killed in car accidents or killed others ? Don't say none because that's a lie.
Posted by AvidActivist 2 years ago
hope my argument was educational for you.
Posted by Suryayan 2 years ago
Comeon are u dead. Post the arguement
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
I don't know what a marijuana leprechaun is.
Posted by marquis1212 2 years ago
Another interesting aspect of the conversation is "is it better for our society to legalize marijuana?". Does it do the greatest good for the greatest number? Is a society of potheads more or less likely to contribute to it and advance it? Would legalizing marijuana really increase overall utility?
Vote Placed by SebUK 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro proved that there is a wide variety of benefits to Marijuana legalisation while Con stuck to health which is not a researched enough area, Pro also used better sources.