TheMaster_Debator
enternamehere

Marijuana Leglization

enternamehere

TheMaster_Debator

Pro

1st Round: acceptance ONLY
2nd Round: argument(s)
3rd Round: argument(s)
4th Round: closing (keep this one short please)
enternamehere

Con

I accept. You shouldn't expect a strong argument from me, for this is the first time I have thought about this topic. I was just itching for an argument.

Anyway, good luck.

However I ask that round three can be used for a rebuttal, rather than another round of case.

Marijuanna - "The dried flower clusters and leaves of this plant, smoked or ingested as an illicit drug to induce euphoria. "
[http://www.thefreedictionary.com...]

Legalize - "Make (something that was previously illegal) permissible by law:" [http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...].

I don't know if the instigator can do this now, but can he extend the amount of characters? If not, can I compose it somewhere else and link it here.

Please start with your opening argument...
TheMaster_Debator

Pro

Well before I begin I just want to say that I made our arguments shorter than 1,000 words because we should make our arguments short and sweet so voters don't have to skim over 10,000 word arguments.

1. Marijuana has NEVER killed a human being throughout all of recorded human history. Isn't that amazing? Tobacco kills 1/3 of it's users, and alcohol kills 80,000 Americans every year. Marijuana is much safer than many other legal drugs.

2. Although Marijuana is fairly safe, it could also be a great money maker for the government. In 8 months of collecting taxes from marijuana sales in Colorado, the state gather around $48,000,000. That is a ridiculous amount of money. Just to put that into perspective, if the entire nation was buying at the rates of Colorado the U.S. government could generate 2.8 billion dollars.
enternamehere

Con

Marijuana has a negative effect on people.
Marijuana is far worse than cigarettes. In comparison to cigarette smoke, (which is known to cause cancer), marijuana smoke contains " 50% to 70% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco smoke." (1)

Marijuana effects reproduction. "Marijuana changes the structure of sperm cells, deforming them. Thus even small amounts of marijuana can cause temporary sterility in men. Marijuana use can upset a woman’s menstrual cycle." (1)

It is toxic
Researchers have concluded that marijuana, is, in fact, toxic. "marijuana smoke contains significantly higher levels of several toxic compounds -- including ammonia and hydrogen cyanide", "The scientists found that ammonia levels were 20 times higher in the marijuana smoke than in the tobacco smoke, while hydrogen cyanide, nitric oxide and certain aromatic amines occurred at levels 3-5 times higher in the marijuana smoke." (2)

(1)[http://tinyurl.com...]
(2)[http://tinyurl.com...]
1000 chars = 140 words.
TheMaster_Debator

Pro

TheMaster_Debator forfeited this round.
enternamehere

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent forfeited.

To summarise:

Marijuana is toxic, and has seriously bad effects on people. Pro claims that the government could make lots of money through taxation, if marijuana is made legal. However, it neglects the chance that people could find the illegal marijuana better, for it is combined with other substances. Basically, they could feel a better 'high' through the illegal marijuana. Pro also supplied facts of how much money Colorado has made through the legalisation, yet provided no sources for it. Should we just believe what Pro said? I could say that Colorado loses 40,000,000 dollars a year through damages caused by marijuana, but without a source, there is nothing to prove the veracity of it.

Anyway, thanks for the debate.
TheMaster_Debator

Pro

TheMaster_Debator forfeited this round.
enternamehere

Con

Well, unfortunately Pro has forfeited once again...
Posted by enternamehere 2 years ago
enternamehere
Yeah, I just noticed that it was restricted to 1,000 characters after I accepted it.
Posted by Varrack 2 years ago
Varrack
If this debate weren't 1,000 characters I'd take it.
Posted by syracuse100 2 years ago
syracuse100
I think that it should not be legalized, but this is one topic I am still researching to this day and I am not fully prepared to take this debate;however, I will be watching the debate and will vote at the end. Good luck.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
TheMaster_DebatorenternamehereTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
TheMaster_DebatorenternamehereTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Pro