Ducttpaeoverthescars
ender95

Marijuana Should Be Legalized

Ducttpaeoverthescars

Ducttpaeoverthescars

Pro

I think it's wrong for society to lie to teenagers about smoking marijuana. When people lie to teens about Marijuana then teens assume they are lying about other drugs too and I think they are more likely to do drugs they shouldn't do. So I think it's time to come clean and tell the truth. If teens are going to do drugs, they should have truthful and accurate information. So I have decided to tell it like it is. Best decisions are made when the real facts are presented. Marijuana should NOT be illegal. It is safer than most drugs and if safer than beer. So, why is it illegal? It doesn't harm any one.
ender95

Con

Hello voters and my opponent! For this first round, I will proffer to you my own argument, without refuting a single thing my opponent has said; providing my opponent with the first opportunity to cross examine, and refute my own ideas in round two.

Marijuana should not be legalized. Contrary to modern-day belief expressed by many teenagers, (1) Cannabis (often times referred to as marijuana, hashish, weed, etc.) is quite harmful to homosapians, on both the health and mental fields.

Argument 1: How does Marijuana affect the brain?
There is a chemical contained within marijuana, known as THC (C21H30O2, (2)) that
Acts upon specific sites in the brain, called cannabinoid receptors, kicking off a series of cellular reactions that ultimately lead to the "high" that users experience when they smoke marijuana. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. The highest density of cannabinoid receptors are found in parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thinking, concentrating, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement. (3)
Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off. (4) As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of t

Argument 2: How does it affect the health?
Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug. (5) This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerability

Because of time constraints, and limitations on character count, the rest of my argument will be conducted in round 2. I thank you for your time.

1)Http://www.twitter.com...
2)http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
3)Herkenham M, Lynn A, Little MD, et al. Cannabinoid receptor localization in the brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 87(5):1932"1936,
4) 1990. Pope HG, Gruber AJ, Hudson JI, Huestis MA, Yurgelun-Todd D. Neuropsychological performance in long-term cannabis users. Arch Gen Psychiatry 58(10):909"

5)Mittleman MA, Lewis RA, Maclure M, Sherwood JB, Muller JE. Triggering myocardial infarction by marijuana. Circulation 103(23):2805"2809,

1
Ducttpaeoverthescars

Pro

Ducttpaeoverthescars forfeited this round.
ender95

Con

I would like to make note that my opponent forfeited round two, thus this round contains no rebuttals"merely more arguments of my own, to why Marijuana should remain illegal.

Contention #3: More health defects:
Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smoker"s show deregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer. (6) Marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers as well; such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. (7) Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Contention #4: The road to success blockaded:
Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. In one study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement, including physical and mental health, cognitive abilities, social life, and career status. (8) Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover.

Contention #5: The potential of the drug being abused:
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, in 2009, 16.7 million Americans aged 12 or older used marijuana at least once in the month prior to being surveyed, an increase over the rates reported in all years between 2002 and 2008. There was also a significant increase among youth aged 12-17, with current use up from 6.7 percent in 2008 to 7.3 percent in 2009, although this rate is lower than what was reported in 2002 (8.2 percent). Past-month use also increased among those 18-25, from 16.5 percent in 2008 to 18.1 percent in 2009.

6) Tashkin DP. Smoked marijuana as a cause of lung injury. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 63(2):92"100, 2005.
7) Polen MR, Sidney S, Tekawa IS, Sadler M, Friedman GD. Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco. West J Med 158(6):596"601, 1993.
8) Gruber AJ, Pope HG, Hudson JI, Yurgelun-Todd D. Attributes of long-term heavy cannabis users: A case control study. Psychological Med 33(8):1415"1422, 2003.
Ducttpaeoverthescars

Pro

ender95

Con

My opponent failed to post, for the seccond time running... :/
Ducttpaeoverthescars

Pro

ender95

Con

ender95 forfeited this round.
Ducttpaeoverthescars

Pro

ender95

Con

ender95 forfeited this round.
Posted by ockcatdaddy 4 years ago
ockcatdaddy
ducttpaeoverthescars i would like to talk to you if you coulw message me isd be very grateful
Posted by ockcatdaddy 4 years ago
ockcatdaddy
heyyy your bi too???
Posted by bloodstyle 4 years ago
bloodstyle
cannabis is the only drug that helps my ms all other medicens have far worse side effects an worsend my condition come on legalise it stop all this propoganda
Posted by DeFool 4 years ago
DeFool
I agree with the premise.

I would also like to point out that, under the law, there is a potential difference between the state making a thing "illegal," or, "legal" and having "no opinion" on the subject. An example of this is found in the First Amendment - that forces the state to have "no opinion" on matters such as religion, speech, and group affiliations.

If the state were to name this plant "not illegal" we still should expect something less than a "no opinion" stance; it will be something that is reluctantly agreed to, and will be regulated, taxed, monitored, and debated. The simple removal of legal prohibitions could be made into law by simply no longer enforcing the punitive measures levied against the violation of the prohibitions... thus making a thing unenforceable, but still legally prohibited.

Under our Constitution, any private action that is not specifically forbidden is automatically "legal." To argue that this plant should have its legal prohibitions lifted, therefore, is not necessarily the same thing as it being made "legal."
Posted by Mirza 4 years ago
Mirza
You'll have a tough time finding an opponent for this topic, I think. If you argue that all drugs should be legalized, it might be more provocative.
Posted by Ducttpaeoverthescars 4 years ago
Ducttpaeoverthescars
Yeah, it's the same thing.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 4 years ago
InVinoVeritas
aka... should be legal. lol
Ducttpaeoverthescars
Marijuana shouldn't be illegal
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
whats the resolution?
Vote Placed by ockcatdaddy 3 years ago
ockcatdaddy
Ducttpaeoverthescarsender95Tied
Reasons for voting decision: pro raised a few good points in the first roundbut con refuted them well