Defro
Writer-Menz

Marijuana Should be Legalized for Recreational Use

Defro

Defro

Pro

I believe that marijuana should be legalized for recreational use and by legalizying it, our society will benefit in certain aspects.

Round 1 is for acceptance.
Writer-Menz

Con

Our younger society has developed a sub-culture of what "cool" is. This involves the use of drugs, sex, and other unhealthy activities that have developed a large niche in school systems, especially those attempting to show a sense of "cool." If marijuana were to be largely legalized, the accessibility of cannabis would hugely increase for these kids.
Defro

Pro

*I'm glad you brought that up, and I will address this concern in this round immediately in a sequential manner before proceeding to my points.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Concerning Accessibility of Cannabis

-If cannabis was legal, like alcohol, it would obviously have an age requirement. Also, it would be handled by less shady and more responsible people, in pharmacies, and not by the current drug dealers, who'd sell them to anyone. Instead, these people who sell marijuana would ask for ID before selling marijuana to a customer, just like with alcohol. Hypothetically, they will never sell cannabis to "kids".

-The only way people nowadays can obtain cannabis in the US, is through illegal drug dealers. If Marijuana was completely legal in the US, THERE WOULD BE NO DRUG DEALERS, because everyone can get it at a pharmacy or a shop. They wouldn't have to rely on drug dealers. Without drug dealers, no one will sell cannabis to kids until they reach the required age.

-However, it is not to say that kids cannot get their hands on marijuana. It is plausible for them to obtain marijuana from someone like their older siblings or parents.

-Therefore, if marijuana was legalized, the accessibility of cannabis for kids will actually DECREASE, if not remain constant.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Now I shall proceed to my points.

Healthwise:

-Marijuana isn't as bad for your health as most people think. Studies have shown that casual marijuana smoking is not harmful to your lungs, and that it possibly can even increase lung capacity (which is good).

-While it does have potential negative effects on your health, they are much less severe than alcohol and tobacco, which ARE legal. According to statistical analysis done by researchers, cannabis does a LOT more harm than alcohol and tobacco, which are legal drugs.

-So my question to Con is: If alcohol and tobacco are legal but harms people more than cannabis, which hardly harms anyone at all, why can't cannabis be legal?
114234299

http://www.livescience.com...
http://edition.cnn.com...

Crime Reduction due to Legalization

-Marijuana use is not a serious crime. It has been established earlier that that marijuana use has less negative effects than alcohol and tobacco, which are legal drugs.

-If Marijuana is legalized, it allows police to focus on actual crimes; crimes that are actually serious/dangerous/harmful to people, rather than people smoking marijuana and hasn't hurt anyone.
-A huge problem in the United States today is that there have been too many arrests and too many people in jail. Of the people in jail, 3/4 of a million people were arrested for marijuana. These people have done nothing wrong, yet they're in jail. Furthermore, a lot of these people were framed. There have been cases where good samaritans find cannabis on the ground and give it to the police, who arrest these good people because they held cannabis. This is unfair and a waste of money for the government to fund their time in jail.
-Therefore, by legalizing cannabis, less people are in jail, which solves the problem I mentioned earlier about too many people in jail/

http://www.rawstory.com...;
http://www.cnbc.com...;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
_______________________________________________________________

I will leave with this for now. Thank you Con for accepting my challenge. I plan to make more points in future rounds.
Writer-Menz

Con

Writer-Menz forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

*Con has forfeited round 2, therefore I will not make any new points, to give Con the chance to catch up.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I will proceed by restating my main points so far. If Con forfeits the next round, I will state more points.

-The accessibility of cannabis to children and teens will be more limited.

-Cannabis does less harm healthfully than alcohol and tobacco, which are legal drugs, so why should it be illegal while alcohal and tobacco aren't?

-Legalization will reduce Crime.

-The problem of too many people in prison will be solved.
-I would like to add on to this. If there are less people in jail, the government would spend less on funding th prison system, which could result in tax reduction or availability of funding to other things.
Writer-Menz

Con

Writer-Menz forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

I shall now post the lyrics of one of the world's most famous Marijuna consumers, Bob Marley.

Play I some music: (dis a) reggae music!
Roots, rock, reggae: dis a reggae music!

Hey, Mister Music, sure sounds good to me!
I can't refuse it: what to be got to be.
Feel like dancing, dance 'cause we are free;
Feel like dancing, come dance with me!

Roots, rock, reggae, yeah! Dis a reggae music!
Play I some music: dis a reggae music!
Play I some music: dis a reggae music!

Play I on the R&B - wo-oh! Want all my people to see:
We're bubblin' on the Top 100, just like a mighty dread!
Play I on the R&B; want all my people to see:
We bubblin' on the Top 100, just like a mighty dread!

Roots, rock, reggae: dis a reggae music! Uh-uh!
Roots, rock, reggae, ee-mi duba! Dis a reggae music!
Play I some music: (dis a reggae music!)
---
/Saxophone solo/
(Dis a reggae music!)
(Dis a reggae music!)
---
Play I on the R&B; I want all my people to see: (doo-doo-doo-doo!)
(doo-doo-doo-doo!)
(Dis a reggae music!)
(Dis a reggae music!)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Bob Marley ladies and gentlemen. May he rest in piece.

Writer-Menz

Con

Writer-Menz forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

It is clear that Con has abandoned this debate. Vote Pro.
Writer-Menz

Con

Writer-Menz forfeited this round.
Posted by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
@NarutoUzamaki

I couldn't have agreed with you more. Some people just deliberately try to confuse you with what they are trying to say through complex grammar structure and vocabulary. Sometimes they even use satire, which I find very confusing, especially in my AP English class.

However, concerning your question, it is most certainly necessary for debtors to maintain a certain extent of sophistication, by means of vocabulary. It establishes their Ethos in their arguments.

Personally, I don't think I've used very complicated vocabulary in the first round. My post was composed of mostly common known words a high school student would understand.

I'm sorry if you could not understand me, but I assure you my use of vocabulary is not deliberate. I am not trying to make my argument seem complicated for viewers like you. This is simply the way I write because of years of reading and advanced English classes in high school.

In fact, I made my argument as easily understandable as I could, emboldening and underlining my main points. I am sure my contender and most people can understand me quite well.

Regardless of that, I am sorry that you had to look up words you did not understand and I will try my best to use a simpler array of words.
Posted by NarutoUzamaki 2 years ago
NarutoUzamaki
why do people like to make debates look complicated with high vocabulary it makes the user not focused looking up every word
Vote Placed by CynicalDiogenes 2 years ago
CynicalDiogenes
DefroWriter-MenzTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF by con