Ryanconqueso
tvellalott

Marijuana has serious negative side effects as opposed to "the harmless drug"

Ryanconqueso

Ryanconqueso

Pro

I will take the stance that marijuana has many negative side effects, in many ways. The pro will be obviously counter my claim.

The first round is for accepting, and the remaining 3 rounds will be for debate.
tvellalott

Con

I accept. I will be arguing the position that marjiuana is in fact a relatively harmless drug, free from any serious negative side effects except for the obvious health risk associated with smoking in general.
Ryanconqueso

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

I will open by stating this is not a debate about whether or not marijuana should be legalized. I personally think that if it were to be legalized, regulated, and taxed, the economy could benefit significantly.

"...There's such a lack of responsibility for one's actions in the world, selfishness, and a great destruction in the way people live their lives. It's all instant gratification, and who cares how my instant gratification affects those around me, or on a small personal level or a global level..."-Davey Havok(1). This quote presents many great reasons to look at our own personal actions.

When we stack up marijuana to other substances, typically alcohol and tobacco, it is often viewed as "the lesser of 2 evils". That still does not change the fact that marijuana has negative side effects, whether it be personally or globally.

I will start with the personal(the individuals' use) negative side effects of marijuana. My opponent has admitted the health risk of smoking in general, so that information will not be used within this debate. I will state that not every single person is susceptible to every one of these side effects but they have been recorded.

Marijuana is an addictive drug making use, and/or abuse, more frequent(2). More chronic users will show a loss of drive and energy, confusion and slower thinking, states of apathy, and impaired memory. Such effects linger until heavy use has stopped(3). Younger people who use marijuana weekly have a higher risk of depression later in life. People who use marijuana heavily are also a lot more likely, than non-users of the drug, to be diagnosed with schizophrenia later in life(4). According to (4)"A recent study found that people who had used marijuana more than 50 times before the age of 18, had a three fold increased risk of developing schizophrenia later in life." During some instances in heavy use, increased heart rate, feelings of anxiousness, and paranoia can also occur(4).

Among the personal side effects, I would like to discuss the more global side effects.

There is no secret that some marijuana comes from Mexico. Often times the marijuana from Mexico is from a cartel. These cartels are often violent in nature with marijuana being one of their steady sources of income. It is possible that these cartels will violently attack, and/or kill, any threat to their operations(5). There was an estimated 6,300 murders involving the Mexican Cartels in 2008. Marijuana is their primary source, approximately 60%, of income(6).

The money that is used to purchase the drug is being untaxed and goes back to Mexico for their profit. In turn, they can use that profit for whatever they see fit. Typically, sources for more marijuana production, to produce other drugs, "defense"(being weapons), and of course a profit for themselves to live.

The same scenario can be played inside of America. Many gangs rely on marijuana production, trafficking, and sales for their profit(7). Canada is no different, as marijuana is the main source of it's drug income, with drugs being the primary source of funding for criminal organizations(8).

When you break it down, that when Marijuana is bought, the money isn't being taxed, and more than likely going to some form of organized crime. This in turn allows crime to circulate. The effect is, money collected from marijuana has contributed to the growth of many gangs, crimes, and other countries' economies. Something can't be harmless when lives are taken, and hard earned dollars are being used to contribute to other economies. This is a problem because America isn't receiving the tax revenue for it's economic gain. Thus, the loss of jobs, and increased process of goods in our country.

These scenarios can be applied anywhere in the world, not just the U.S and Mexico. This is much like the effects during the prohibition of alcohol in the U.S. We can imagine the damage being done, through what history has taught us with the crimes and murders during that era, now.

I will close that with every negative side effect, there are more resulting. Every one person has a family, and/or friends. Whether it be influencing your peers, someone being caught in a gang crossfire, or your actions during time of intoxication, they are contributing to a problem whether they realize it or not. Any substance only serves the purpose of instant gratification, which is a danger within itself. It is unknown exactly who may be hurt, or what damage may be done, stemming from another persons' path to instant gratification from marijuana. Someone along the way has been hurt through another persons' selfishness.

1. http://www.goodreads.com...
2. http://www.nida.nih.gov...
3. http://www.allpotseeds.com...
4. http://www.abovetheinfluence.com...
5. http://www.nytimes.com...
6. http://www.alternet.org...
7. http://www.justice.gov...
8. http://www.bcmarijuanaparty.com...
tvellalott

Con

I'm so sorry Ryan but I don't have time to write a response on account of my terrible day at work, which cost me the two hours with which I was going to use...
VOTERS: Automatic conduct points to my opponent.

Ryanconqueso

Pro

It's quite alright. If you still want to debate on this topic, I will leave my opening argument at it's current standing.
tvellalott

Con

Ryan, I concede this debate to you my friend. I shouldn't have accepted it. >_<

You can clearly reuse your opening argument against someone else.

Sorry about wasting your time.

Ryanconqueso

Pro

It's quite alright. I hope someone read my opening statement along the way, and provoked some thoughts.

Thank you
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
You're a good man.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
Fvck it, I'll take this.
Posted by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
He's saying that's what people call marijuana.
Posted by feverish 6 years ago
feverish
What is "the harmless drug"?
Vote Placed by ShrawderA 6 years ago
ShrawderA
RyanconquesotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was not convinced, but this was not really a debate.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
RyanconquesotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made no arguments.
Vote Placed by XStrikeX 6 years ago
XStrikeX
RyanconquesotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited. Everything but spelling to Pro.