Marijuana is bad.

I hope for a good, clean debate - My opponent is extremely 'Con' when it comes to anything involving marijuana. He does not agree that marijuana is useful in any manner, so I took it upon myself to post a debate topic outlining the most generic statement that would successfully describe his views on the 'drug'.

I will start by outlining a few definitions:

Bad - not good in any manner or degree.

Good - satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree.

Satisfactory - giving or affording satisfaction.

Satisfaction - the act of satisfying; fulfillment; gratification;

Since my opponent will be debating the Pro side, I will let him start the debate.

I would first like to thank my opponent for inviting me to this debate.

Now, if I may change usage of the word "bad" as there are several definitions and I do not want this debate to be won through simple wordplay.

Bad; Having a wicked or evil character; morally reprehensible
Causing or liable to cause sickness or ill health; injurious or harmful
Disobedient, naughty, or misbehaving
Not in keeping with standard or conduct

Since I have the burden of proof I will start with a few small contentions.

Contention 1) Smoking Marijuana is detrimental to the users health.
Marijuana is harmful when smoked, you are inhaling a foreign substance that contains tar and irritates the lungs, not to mention the effects on the brain, and other health issues stemming from Marijuana use.

Some health risk to the lungs include:
1) Coughing and phlegm problems, shortness of breath, and frequent wheezing,
2)Burning and stinging of the mouth and throat
3)Promotion of cancer in the respiratory tract
4)Chronic bronchitis
5)Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

In fact, some of the short term effects can even cause death! When you smoke Marijuana the users risk of heart attack quadruples within the first hour of smoking, so why risk death just to get "high"?

There are many more negative effects, risk, and reasons as to how Marijuana is bad, though I'll save them for the next round.

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Since I started the debate and get to set the parameters, I'd still like to use the original definition of bad:

Bad - not good in any manner or degree.

The object of this debate is for you to prove that Marijuana is not good in any manner or degree. Since you have failed to release any information on how Marijuana is not good in any manner or degree, I'll let you have the next round to do so. However, I will say that Marijuana is good on several accounts:

1) Studies in HIV patients have yielded that those who smoked pot had a greater increase in lymphocytes, the cells which combat disease. <---This is good, yes?
2) Scientists have found that the active ingredient in marijuana can prevent the progression of Alzheimer's disease. <---Good without a doubt..

There are MANY more things that make Marijuana good; however, I would like to see you disprove these before I post any more reasons.

I'd like to thank my opponent for his response,

Now while my opponent may say I have failed to prove that Marijuana is not good in any matter or degree, he has not refuted any of the claims that it is, infact, harmful to users. Now, if something is harmful for you, I hardly see how that is favourable, or 'good', my opponent is simply trying to use wordplay to win this debate.

As I can list several more things that Marijuana negatively impact, I will do so now.
1) The use of Marijuana distorts your perception, reduces coordination, and causes relaxation of the muscles, which would highly impair driving ability, a higher risk of a car accident is in no way, good.
2) It impairs ones ability to learn, and to form new memories, which is in no way good.
3)It destroys tumour-suppressant genes, which help fight cancer.
4)It contains carcinogens, which CAUSE cancer.
5) Users may become lazy, unmotivated, or "burnouts"

Not only has my opponent not provided any evidence to his HIV claim, but my opponent also seems to misunderstand what HIV is, and what Marijuana does.

HIV is short for "Human immunodeficiency virus", meaning their immune system isn't functioning properly. Now, studies have shown that Marijuana is actually an "immunosuppressant"; Regular smoking has been shown to materially affect the overall ability of the smoker's body to defend itself against infection by weakening various natural immune mechanisms, including macrophages (a.k.a. "killer cells") and the all-important T-cells. How harming your immune system while having HIV/AIDs would be beneficial is beyond me.

As for the Alzheimers theory, the study my opponent linked is nearly four years old, while newer research shows no benefits from smoking Marijuana in relation to Alzheimers. Furthermore, it has infact been proven to be the OPPOSITE, instead actually causing harm instead of health!

Unless my opponent can refute the claims of it having no good effect on the lungs, brain, heart, etcetera, then I shall assume he concedes to my points that it is 'bad' by his very narrow definition.I eagerly wait for my opponents response, and I urge a vote on the Pro side of this argument, thank you.

DylanFromSC forfeited this round.

EnlightenedEntity forfeited this round.
Posted by EnlightenedEntity 6 years ago
Andrew was gay, just sayin. :(
Posted by DylanFromSC 6 years ago
Actually, good idea.
Posted by EnlightenedEntity 6 years ago
Well, if we just copy and paste you only have to write one argument in round 3, then I only have to write one.
Posted by DylanFromSC 6 years ago
Alright, sorry. I'm going to make the time to respond longer because I'm usually occupied all weekend.
Posted by EnlightenedEntity 6 years ago
You can invite me to another one with the same arguments, etc, just copy+pasted if you'd like.
Posted by DylanFromSC 6 years ago
I'm really sorry for missing my round, however, I've been extremely busy. Those who have seen my previous debates should know that I don't forfeit, or I never fail to put up a good debate. I am willing to redebate this topic or one similar with EnlightenedEntity once this is over with if I win this 'debate'. Once again, sorry guys.
Posted by DylanFromSC 6 years ago
Alex Hanson is my hero.
Posted by Alex 6 years ago
Pro, smoke a bowl, relax then come try and see if you can still defend this position.
Posted by EnlightenedEntity 6 years ago
Agreed, but that isn't what this debate is about.
Posted by LoganRuckman 6 years ago
Alcohol is worse, so alcohol should be banned too.
Vote Placed by Andrew_Depperman 6 years ago