Kiah
NewLifeChristian

Marijuana is not a harmful drug

NewLifeChristian

Kiah

Pro

I don't believe that marijuana is a harmful drug. It is mainly used my people you know how to or need to. It used to reduce, pain, nausea, relieve stress and increase appetite. It rarely causes car accidents or any accidents in this case. In a general, it calms the nervous system, so it not very likely that someone is going to murder someone.
NewLifeChristian

Con

Before I begin this debate, I would like to thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate. Because they did not
set forward the rules, I will go ahead and do so:

1.) No trolling!
2.) Have proper debate etiquette!
3.) Use reliable sources!

Layout:

FIRST ROUND IS FIRST ARGUMENT

SECOND ROUND IS REBUTTALS

THIRD ROUND IS WHY YOU DID BETTER THAN YOUR OPPONENT

Pro argues that "Marijuana is NOT a harmful drug"

Con argues that "Marijuana is a harmful drug"

Below I will present my first argument that marijuana is indeed a harmful drug.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effects on the Brain

There have been studies done that show the use of marijuana can contribute to negative effects on the human brain. The website Narconon says this, "In 2012, scientists in Australia performed brain scans on 59 long-term marijuana users and compared them to the brains of people who had never used the drug. The marijuana users showed structural changes that were similar to changes found in people with schizophrenia." [1]

Effects on the Stomach

Use of marijuana, especially when used often, is known to cause severe nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain. A condition triggered by the use of marijuana known as cannabinoid hypermesis syndrome is the cause of it. [2] Unfortunately, due to the legilisation of marijuana in Colorado, the condition is on the rise.

First Argument Conclusion

The job of my opponent is to rebut my first argument in round two. I look forward to your rebuttal and good luck.

[1] http://www.narconon.org...
[2] http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
Kiah

Pro

Thank you for laying down those rules. Some of this is of my own knowledge.

Many of the things that Marijuana helps

It may help reverse the carcinogenic effects of tobacco and improve lung health according to a study published in the Journal of American Medical Association in January 2012, marijuana does not impair lung function and can even increase lung capacity.
Marijuana use can prevent epileptic seizures, a 2003 study showed. A chemical found in marijuana stops cancer from spreading, researchers at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco reported in 2007.
Most well known is that weed reduces some of the awful pain and nausea from chemo, and stimulates appetite (2)

Marijuana is known to DECREASE nausea, vomiting and any stomach discomfort. They you medical marijuana for chemotherapy clients. (1)

Second Argument Conclusion
Many people are sick and marijuana is way that can help them, but are unable to get it. Legalizing marijuana will make it available to those in need of it.
Good luck on your rebuttal! I'm looking forward to seeing your argument.

(1) http://www.webmd.com...
(2) http://www.businessinsider.com...
NewLifeChristian

Con

My opponent has brought up many points in their original argument. I will attempt to address all of them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebuttal: "It is used to reduce, pain . . ."

Although it is common to hear that marijuana reduces pain, it is just another myth most likely propagated by pro-marijuana organizations. The website Medical News Today explains that instead of reducing pain, it makes it more bearable by "affecting people's emotional state in a way that makes pain less awful.". [1] In addition to this, researchers from Mayo Clinic recommend that teenagers with chronic pain do not take medical marijuana. [2]

Rebuttal: "It is used to reduce, nausea . . ."

As I stated earlier in my original argument, cannabis does not help with nausea; rather, it leads to a syndrome known as that cannabinoid hypermesis syndrome which causes severe nausea, stomach pain, and vomiting.

Rebuttal: "It is used to reduce, stress and increase appetite . . ."

On the contrary, cannabis has been shown to increase stress in many people; even causing panic and anxiety in some instances. As the website Anxiety Panic Hub puts it, "Marijuana is recognised as being one of the causes of panic attacks and anxiety, and we think it is important to highlight this.". [3]

As far as increasing appetite, if someone is nauseous (see my original argument linking cannabis to nausea/vomiting), they are most certainly not going to have an increase in appetite.

Rebuttal: "It rarely causes car accidents . . ."

Actually, Columbia University researchers found that marijuana contributed to 12% of traffic deaths in 2010. [4]

Rebuttal: ". . . it calms the nervous system, so it [is] not very likely that someone is going to murder someone."

As I have stated above, it does not calm the nervous system. Rather, it creates anxiety and, in some cases, panic.

[1] http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...
[2] http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...
[3] http://www.panicattacks.com.au...
[4] http://www.usatoday.com...
Kiah

Pro

I guess I will now say why I did better then my opponent.

Most of my information was reviewed and approved by Scientists and Doctors. I know that many of the facts that I have stated, I know are true. I am not saying that some of your information isn't true, but much of it contradicts what I am saying. I really dont have much to say on why I should win this debate, because it is not up to me to decide.
NewLifeChristian

Con

Why I did better than my opponent

First of all, my opponent did not use citations in their original argument. Instead, they used claims that they thought to be true. Secondly, my opponent made frequent grammar errors throughout the debate. Lastly, my opponent did not set forward rules to begin the debate. Thank you and please vote con.
Posted by daley 1 year ago
daley
NewLifeChristian, I lost my voting privileges, otherwise I would vote on your debates. But can you please vote on this debate for me? http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Kiah 1 year ago
Kiah
Ok, cool. I've never really had such a formal debate before, mind you this is only my second debate.
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
Typically when you start a debate, you're supposed to state the rules; however, it's not required.
Posted by Kiah 1 year ago
Kiah
Lol, I believe that was my rebuttal. When you start a debate, do you have to have the rules? Or is it just a more proper fair way to do it
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
I'm a little confused. Was that your first argument or your rebuttal? Sorry, I get confused a lot. lol
Posted by Kiah 1 year ago
Kiah
Haha :0D. I kind of strange, I only got on here about, 3 days ago. I thought that I wouldn't like debating because I can get really mad easily, but so far its pretty good. As soon as I see a blue ribbon over my picture I click on so fast
Posted by NewLifeChristian 1 year ago
NewLifeChristian
You posted that argument fast! :-D
Vote Placed by Sam7411 1 year ago
Sam7411
KiahNewLifeChristianTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was not a spectacular debate. a) Con, you were correct to point out the lack of credibility of Pro's sources. A narcotics convention and Webmd are not sources. b) Pro- Decrease in pain perception does not mean its not harmful, case in point, alcohol and heroine,etc. c) Pro-As mentioned in other votes, the resolution is "Marijuana is not a harmful drug", not whether there are benefits
Vote Placed by TeenagerX 1 year ago
TeenagerX
KiahNewLifeChristianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Initially, I was under the impression that Marijuana when used recreationally reduces stress, anxiety, and other effects as Pro indicated. However, I, personally, have never seen anyone use marijuana so I wonder just how credible mainstream media can be. If anything, drugs seem to only cause problems, not solve them. How many stories have you heard about overdose, leading to death? I've read about them too often, if anything, Marijuana is the only street drug that has been legalized in the United States. Why? If it is not harmful, then why is it not legalized around the world? Clearly, Marijuana does more good than bad and I'm confident that the vast majority of Americans who do use the drug use it for recreational use, not medical. If Marijuana is not harmful at all, then I would not have any problems with people using it. The reality is that marijuana is used by gangs, people die from overdose, and it can divide families. In my opinion, Marijuana does more harm than good.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
KiahNewLifeChristianTied
Reasons for voting decision: The debate veered in the wrong direction. The resolution pertains not to whether marijuana is not a harmful drug, *not* whether there are benefits. Pro's second round arguments actually make a decent argument for marijuana being beneficial, but this doesn't impact the resolution. Whilst a lot of Con's rebuttals addressed non-contentions, there were arguments which affected the resolution, such as, "Actually, Columbia University researchers found that marijuana contributed to 12% of traffic deaths in 2010". This, considering what Pro wrote doesn't affect the resolution, is enough for Con to win arguments.
Vote Placed by bballcrook21 1 year ago
bballcrook21
KiahNewLifeChristianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Wasn't too good of a debate. Neither side had a shining argument where it was easy to pick the winner. I decided to choose Con, as he used quite a lot of research to both back up his statements, and refute the opponent's. Pro in the last round practically admitted that the evidence Con used contradicted her own. Also, on a debate like this, Pro was more of arguing whether Marijuana should be legalized, rather than if it was a harmful drug. The sources that were used by Con were substantial, and were mostly scientific/medical sources, while Pro used "business insider".