dazchilly
googlemabob

Marijuana is safer than alcohol.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

dazchilly

Pro

I am arguing on behalf of the motion that marijuana is safer than alcohol,
I am looking forward to a challenge.

I believe that marijuana is safer than alcohol, my first fact I want to get on is the annual American death rate from drugs.
Tobacco leading with 400,000 deaths
Alcohol second with 100,000 deaths
All legal drugs 20,000
All illegal drugs 15,000
caffeine killed 2,000
Aspirin 500
Next we have marijuana, there has never been 1 death from pot.

Alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs, and using just 10 times what one would use to get the desired effect can lead to death. Marijuana is one of the least toxic drugs, requiring thousands of times the dose one would use to get the desired effect to lead to death. This "thousands of times" is actually theoretical, since there has never been a recorded case of marijuana overdose.
googlemabob

Con

I'd like to thank dazchilly for posting such a challenging debate (challenging for me, at least... I'm not even gonna pretend my side is winnable.) Best of luck to him in this debate!

My argument is simply this: marijuana is more dangerous precisely for the reason that it causes so many fewer deaths. Because people assume marijuana is harmless, having no serious side affects or consequences for extended, indulgent use, many take it in exceedingly high amounts. While this may not result in any deaths, users will often go to their work, or school, incredibly high. Add to this the fact that many can cover up the symptoms of being high by claiming to have allergies, not having sleeped enough, or whatever else they may come up with, marijuana poses a serious risk to a decrease in work efficiency, which could ultimately spiral into a complete economic collapse.

dazchilly

Pro

dazchilly forfeited this round.
googlemabob

Con

Seeing as how my opponent has forfeited, my point still stands. Marijuana use will ultimately lead to an economic collapse.
dazchilly

Pro

Sorry about forfeiting the previous round and thank you for accepting.
My opponent said that people who use marijuana have long term effects that makes them lazy, this is not true as an analysis of research studies with long-term, recreational users of marijuana has failed to reveal a substantial, systematic effect on the functioning of users. According to researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, the only side effect found was a minimal malfunction in the domains of learning and forgetting. However this is a very small side effect for such long term use.
To answer your question people who are lazy before they started smoking are lazy after they started smoking and if something it might help you explore as it opens your mind to new ideas. I know people who were not lazy before they started smoking, and there still not.
There is no way that marijuana could cause a complete economic collapse as I pointed out pot does not make you lazy and what pot would do is help the economy out by taxing it and hemp could be used as another resource. Hemp has been grown for at least the last 12,000 years for fiber (textiles and paper) and food. It has been prohibited in the United States since the 1950s because they were making their money with highly chemical paper that was allot more expensive so to get people to buy there paper and other fibers and oils they banned hemp. The products that can be made from hemp number over 25,000.
The government would save $7.7 billion a year if it didn't have to spend money policing and prosecuting marijuana activity. Then, if the feds taxed marijuana at a rate comparable to cigarettes and alcohol, another $6.2 billion would come rolling in. $14 billion could be made a year just from taxing and regulating the marijuana alone.

googlemabob

Con

I'll get right to it!

According to researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, the only side effect found was a minimal malfunction in the domains of learning and forgetting. However this is a very small side effect for such long term use.

This is what I am talking about. In a growingly competitive international market, a decrease in learning and memory will make America less of a superpower, which will eventually lead to economic collapse.

There is no way that marijuana could cause a complete economic collapse as I pointed out pot does not make you lazy and what pot would do is help the economy out by taxing it and hemp could be used as another resource.

Actually, pot is what is called an "elastic" good, meaning that people will buy much less of it if the price increases because of tax. This, combined with the ease of at-home growing, would actually limit the tax revenue the government would take in due to legalizing pot.

Hemp has been grown for at least the last 12,000 years for fiber (textiles and paper) and food. It has been prohibited in the United States since the 1950s because they were making their money with highly chemical paper that was allot more expensive so to get people to buy there paper and other fibers and oils they banned hemp. The products that can be made from hemp number over 25,000.

Because the debate is about whether or not marijuana is safer than alcohol, not whether it should be legalized, this argument is kind of moot.

My point still stands, pot will lead to economic collapse.
dazchilly

Pro

dazchilly forfeited this round.
googlemabob

Con

As my opponent has once again forfeited, my economics point remains standing.
dazchilly

Pro

dazchilly forfeited this round.
googlemabob

Con

Seeing as my opponent has forfeited (again), my economics point still stands, so vote Con!
Posted by GaryBacon 5 years ago
GaryBacon
@ googlemabob: You have given yourself quite a task! I respect your decision to challenge yourself with this debate that seems to be unwinnable from the outset.

Good luck to both of you!
Posted by googlemabob 5 years ago
googlemabob
I'd like to point out that I don't actually agree with anything I'm about to argue, because I am totally on the pro's side :)
Posted by Kethen 5 years ago
Kethen
I 100% agree with you. I was hoping you were a con. There is no way you could lose this argument. Unless you are really bad at arguing.
Posted by dazchilly 5 years ago
dazchilly
this annual death rate is from a more recent year http://www.economicsjunkie.com...
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
Sources for stats?
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
dazchillygooglemabobTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 5 years ago
GaryBacon
dazchillygooglemabobTied
Reasons for voting decision: Although I am definitely NOT convinced of Con's argument, Pro deserves to lose for forfeiting so many rounds.