Marijuana ought to be legalized

The resolution is that marijuana ought to be legalized. I stand in firm affirmation of this topic. As this has become a main issue, I thought I would try my hand in defending the legalization of marijuana. I would like to make a pre-case observation that the resolution states that by "marijuana ought to be legalized," it means it SHOULD be legalized and we must debate the place marijuana would have in our society and whether or not legalizing marijuana will be for the balanced good or the balanced harm of our society. My definitions are as follows.

Marijuana- a strong-smelling plant from whose dried leaves a number of euphoriant and hallucinogenic drugs are prepared

Ought- Used to indicate obligation or duty

I will present my arguments once my opponent accepts this debate in round 2.

Good luck

I believe marijuana should be legal ONLY on certain terms. The certain terms being to help with a disease, such as cancer, epilepsy, AIDS, etc.
Now, this marijuana isn't smoked, it's taken orally. It's for cancer patients whom suffer nausea and vomiting; It helps reduce both problems. Some cancerous treatments cause those effects.
For epilepsy, it helps reduce stress.
For AIDS patients, it helps gain appetite, which allows them to gain weight.

Marijuana should only be used medically, whether than to just be using it.
People react differently when induced on marijuana -- Some contain themselves, acting mellow...Some act wild and out of control.

My real argument is: Marijuana should be used medically, and medically ONLY, because if it were just legal and any one could use it, it would be JUST like if it were illegal. People would still lace it with other drugs and hallucinogens, people would still kill over it, and etc. [What I said in the comments, basically.]

I'm in between about it. Allowing it be legal, could be a pro and a con; Along with being illegal, pro and con.

I see that you are actually wanting to be convinced instead of having an actual debate, which is fine by me, I just want the voters to keep that in mind as it will change the mentality of my debate.

So let us beak down your argument. You make one claim about the legalization of marijuana and you claim that it would not change anything. People would still fight over it, people would still lace it and so on. Maybe you would understand this situation better if I gave you an example. Do you know anything about when alcohol became illegal? That was a fun time in America. Alcohol is infinitely more harmful to the body and mind than marijuana and if this is challenged in your next round I will provide evidence. Alcohol, when it was illegal, was the center of crime in the United States. Crime bosses flourished because so many people still consumed alcohol and the fact of it being illegal had no change in this. The awful thing about making alcohol illegal was it took the government completely out of the equation when it comes to the production and distribution of alcohol, which really made it a lot more dangerous than today when the government actually has limits like no one under 21 can drink, you cannot drink and drive, some bars will cut you off if they think you are somewhat close to overdosing (this is not a good comparison because it is impossible to OD on marijuana).

So let's live in a perfect world here. Let's say marijuana is now legal and everyone who is 21 and up can purchase up to an ounce. What does this change? A lot of things that you said would not change. You see, when a product all of a sudden becomes LEGAL after a long period of being ILLEGAL, there will be a flourishing market for it. The only reason why people kill over weed and get laced weed IS BECAUSE CRIMINALS ARE THE ONES DISTRIBUTING IT!! Criminals honestly do not care about you. They are criminals. Of course you might get laced weed, of course you might get killed over a bag of weed. BUT THAT IS BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL! If it was legal, the market would be creating and distributing marijuana, not people in Mexico or Columbia. Not only that, but the government is now involved. Do you really think the government is going to allow a legitimate company lacing weed and giving it to their customers without knowing? No, only criminals think of that, and increase the price to make money. So the conclusion of this argument is the legalization of marijuana will actually remove laced weed completely, muscle out the criminals (no reason to have gang wars over something that I can pick up at Big Green's Pot Shop), and STOP GIVING THE CRIMINALS IN MEXICO LITERALLY BILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!

You make another argument, or what seems like an argument which is "People react differently when induced on marijuana -- Some contain themselves, acting mellow...Some act wild and out of control." This is not what needs to be looked at. It is hard to get statistics on something illegal, but just logically, weed, on average, calms people down, and, when compared to alcohol, the intoxication effects when compared are obvious. Marijuana is a stimulant that gives euphoric effects meaning you feel good. Alcohol is a depressant, meant to cloud your mind, vision, and deprive motor functions. If everyone stopped drinking alcohol and started smoking weed, believe that people would be, at the very least, not dying as fast. Marijuana does not kill brain cells or your liver at all like alcohol does very well.

But here are my reasons to legalize weed.

1) If we taxed it, our deficit would decrease
2) Criminals will no longer be funded by the sale of this product
3) People who get 5-10 years in jail because he smoked a bowl near a cop does not make them criminals. Legalizing marijuana will release jail rooms where these people are being held, making them available for REAL CRIMINALS that are involved in REAL CRIMES with REAL VICTIMS. Rape, murder, grand theft auto, they are not even comparable to lighting a joint for your own entertainment.
4) With the release of these jail rooms, we also save a lot of money.
5) Same argument as above, just applied to police. More money spent on police stopping real crimes.

Do you even know how Marijuana first became illegal? Do you know when? It is an interesting story filled with bigotry, racism, and press. (1) If you read the link below, some of the reasons why weed became illegal is simply astounding. It became illegal for the first time in 1934. Some of the "evidence" were scare tactic statements saying things like "this plant makes a negro look at a white woman twice" or such wonderfully proven true statements like "it makes a white woman lust after dark skin." When weed was first made out to be bad, scare tactics were used like press statements such as "Much of the most irrational juvenile violence and that has written a new chapter of shame and tragedy is traceable directly to this hemp intoxication. A gang of boys tear the clothes from two school girls and rape the screaming girls, one boy after the other. A sixteen-year-old kills his entire family of five in Florida, a man in Minnesota puts a bullet through the head of a stranger on the road; in Colorado husband tries to shoot his wife, kills her grandmother instead and then kills himself. Every one of these crimes had been proceeded [sic] by the smoking of one or more marijuana "reefers."" This is the man who put together the case against weed. Seriously... how stupid are we to believe these blatant lies? Action must be taken, and I assure you, letting weed stay illegal is not the answer.

I hope I have sufficiently convinced you, and if my logic does not stand up, I expect that you will let me be aware of it.

Thank you and good luck

missmariah forfeited this round.

Extend all of my arguments.

I hope that you have something to say in the last round.

missmariah forfeited this round.
Posted by LiquidLiquid 5 years ago
missmariah, have you considered how competition would effect a new market if marijuana becomes legal? Do people sell liquor on the streets? Do you really think that a street dealer would be able to out compete a much safer store, factory or company?

Also, marijuana is usually not laced. I have yet to hear of anyone buying laced marijuana, and as a college student, I know many who do purchase it.
Posted by missmariah 5 years ago
belle -- Indeed, I do know it's because it's illegal, but if it were legal, people would STILL be selling it on the streets. My point being is there is going to be marijuana fiends abroad, and they are STILL going to lace it, STILL going to kill for it, etc.
Posted by belle 5 years ago
missmariah you should just take the debate if you're gonna make a bunch of arguments in the comments.

also you do realize that most of the violence associated with drug dealing is precisely because it is illegal? if your contract (agreement) with a drug dealer is somehow violated, you can't go to the cops and say he screwed you because you're not supposed to be buying drugs in the first place. if its legal, consumers and sellers alike will have legal recourse and won't have to resort to enforcing their rights through violent means.
Posted by missmariah 5 years ago
Also, to add....Say marijuana WAS indeed legal, do you know how high the death toll would go up. No, not from the marijuana, but from the crimes of drug dealing and how many people would kill over money involving marijuana.
Posted by missmariah 5 years ago
I believe marijuana should be legalized ONLY in certain cases. As for a treatment to a disease or health issue. I do not believe marijuana should be legalized to random bystanders abroad the street, because marijuana COULD increase ignorant behavior.
Posted by mageist24 5 years ago
I would prefer to make this a serious debate, but do whatever you want =]
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Maybe I should just copy pasta my argument from my other marijuana debate into this one.