wsu4ever
smileydodge

Marijuana should be Legalized!

wsu4ever

Pro

I know that this topic is very well discussed throughout the United States, so i thought i would let my opinion be out there. I believe that Marijuana should be legalized because it would help put a fire into our economy. Think about it, really honestly, this economy would have an amazing bounce back if we legalized it, and put a tax on it. Think about how many people smoke Weed. If we taxed weed, and sold it in per-say Weed store, in similarity to a liquor store, more people would go and buy it legally instead of risking going to jail. The construction industry would boom back, because we would need people to make the Weed stores. The housing industry would come back maybe not as strong, but there would be plenty of investors, investing in Marijuana. The crime rate would seemingly go down, because we wouldn't be throwing people who didn't commit a "real" crime into jail, and we could focus more on the people who are actually hurting this world. More jobs would come into effect due to the legalization of marijuana, think of how many brand new stores, and businesses would open if it was legal, jobs would be abundant everywhere in the United States.

Another strong point, Marijuana has so many things in it that scientists have yet to study, and it has been proven that there are chemicals in Marijuana that can help prevent certain sickness's. "Data in Dr. Tashkin's study suggest that people who smoke marijuana are less likely to develop lung cancer than people who do not smoke anything at all. Since marijuana smoke contains the same cancer-causing agents as tobacco and the only difference between the nonsmokers and the marijuana smokers was their use of cannabis, then it is not an unreasonable hypothesis that marijuana can prevent the development of cancer."(Swerdlow). If Marijuana was legalized we could study the chemicals in Marijuana in more depth and maybe find cures for such "UN-curable" diseases.

Swerdlow, Lanny. "MARIJUANA CAN PREVENT CANCER, NOT CAUSE IT ." (2010): n. pag. Web. 26 Oct 2010. <http://cannazine.co.uk...;.
smileydodge

Con

Okay, first of all I would like to say that I do not EVER want to do drugs and put myself in that kind of danger. If Marijuana is legalized, think about all the danger that that would put people in. Even though, the taxes might give our government the money, it's not worth the risk of people dying in order to do so. Also, if marijuana was made legal, think about all of the health problems that would occur. I don't think we need to be paying anymore money for health care. I also understand that you made a point how scientists have yet more to study about marijuana. The government is in fact keeping us safe because WE DON'T really know what's in Marijuana. If they said that we could have it anytime we wanted, think about what that would do to people everywhere. Smoking is already harming people enough. The second-hand smoke? We would all have to deal with that too. So back to my point, we could at least WAIT to find out what is in marijuana and see if it IS safe, and wait for them to keep the law or not. I agree though with your point about your topic on "If Marijuana was legalized we could study the chemicals in Marijuana in more depth and maybe find cures for such "UN-curable" diseases". I think that scientists and doctors with degrees should be able to study marijuana, but I don't think it should be open to everyone. I thank you for listening to my debate.
wsu4ever

Pro

Well, I agree that there are some dangers in smoking and using marijuana, mainly because there is always a risk that they could get caught with it, and has alot to deal with gang related material. but If Marijuana was legal, most of those dangers would disappear because that fear would no longer be there.

Also, did you not read what I posted about how smoking marijuana reduces the chances of getting lung cancer, even more then a normal non-smoking person has. It has been proved that smoking marijuana has its advantages. Yes second hand smoke is dangerous to another persons health, but its not the smokers responsibility to make sure they are away from the smoke, that is why there are laws and such to help prevent second hand smoking, like staying away from certain buildings, and restrictions when it comes to smoking in certain area's its the person who decides to walk or be around the smokes fault they are getting the second hand smoke.

I strongly believe that this world would be better if marijuana was legal because it would take so much controversy out of the way for us to focus on other things. If it was legal, mores scientists could be open to studying it.
smileydodge

Con

Actually, they have not yet proved if marijuana reduces lung cancer or not yet. They tested it, but then found out that the testers might have been too young to develop lung cancer. Also, just because there have been made laws to have smokers stay away from buildings, does not mean that the smoke is still in the air. Anyone can breathe it in and harm their body with the smoke. Now there might be some good things about marijuana that we don't yet know about, but what about the bad things? Your blood pressure dropping? Heavy coughing? Stinging and burning of the mouth and throat? Death? I don't think people want to go through this, just to have a quick high. It doesn't make sense. As I said before, the government is protecting us, and protecting future generations. Now, you can go against it, but there will be consequences. I'm pretty sure some scientists are able to test marijuana because how would they be able to test the lung cancer situation? I do not think marijuana should be legal, because it harms our bodies, for NO apparent reasons. We don't need to be ruining the bodies, that God Himself created for us.
wsu4ever

Pro

I as well believe that marijuana is pointless, and it does do some pretty dumb things to you, but i still believe if it was legal it would help our economy and everything would be better, we could focus on bigger problems, and alot of forward movement would go on from there. Another thing is, just like beer, and smoking tobacco its the persons choice, alot of people do it because they enjoy the high, i personally don't, but everyone has their opinion, also, there is more pollution in the air caused by smog and cars, and all sorts of other things that make smoke from marijuana and tobacco seem nearly there. So overall marijuana may be dangerous, just like alcohol and tobacco is. but it should still be legal for people to make their own decisions and for us to reap the benefits of a fruitful booming economy.

Thank you for listening, you made some very good points!
smileydodge

Con

I don't know really what you mean when you say that our economy would be better if it was legal, because that could turn into even more problems for our people. Marijuana is a gateway to even stronger drugs and if people use it, they might start buying other drugs that aren't good for their bodies. You also said that marijuana should be provided for scientists to study it, but if doctors gave away the prescriptions, the people taking the medicine could overdose and not know. I heard a story about a girl that took drugs for a medication, only needed to use them certain times, but used them just because they made her feel calm, and abused it. She ended up waking up in the hospital. This is just one of the many stories of people who can abuse drugs, such as marijuana. If it were legal, people could make these decisions everyday not even knowing the effects it has on their bodies. Marijuana is dangerous and harmful. If our government made it legal it would just cause more problems for our country, because of all the health care and taxes we would have to pay for the marijuana abusers and users in the hospital. This is not fair, and it's not as big of a deal as it would be if we made it legal.

I thank you for listening to my side of the story, and giving me the chance to have a good debate! Thanks!
Posted by mageist24 6 years ago
mageist24
@ J.Kenyon,

Your comparison of raping your children to smoking weed is laughable. Unless I am somehow misunderstanding your position, assuming that a victimless crime like consuming marijuana is not to be compared to a truly evil crime like forced incest. I don't want to go into great detail in a comment, but even you surely realize that saying that was a very narrow generalization.

Im not sure what is more disturbing, the fact that you make it sound like smoking weed is as bad as raping your children, or suggesting that legalizing it is as harmful as beating the life out of them.
Posted by J.Kenyon 6 years ago
J.Kenyon
@truththroughlogic
Saying we should legalize marijuana and tax the hell out of it like like saying you should stop raping your kids and beat the crap out of them.

@m93
Sorry, I'm not a fan of idiots. I don't appreciate you reporting my comment, btw.
Posted by truththroughlogic 6 years ago
truththroughlogic
the internet used to be smart people pretending to be dumb, this is one of the first times i have seen dumb pretending to be smart, you both just repeated yourselves without providing any evidence that your claims are true

one of you said marijuana was a gateway drug. yes, it is, because you have to GO to DRUGDEALERS to get it, and they usually have other harder drugs. is alcohol a gateway drug? if marijuana is a gateway drug, then alcohol is even more of a gateway drug, (since the defenition of gateway drug in the sense of positive experiences increasing willingness to try other drugs)

marijuana should be legal soely due to the fact alcohol is legal, it contradictory to have one illegal and the other not illegal, just as with prohibition, having marijuana illegal provides a DIRECT income source for people who dont care about the law,

"hey, lets give criminals money!"
"okay!, but how?"
"we make marijuana illegal, so they are the only ones who sell it, so they make money!"
"wouldnt it make more sense to let people sell it and tax them alot? so WE make money?"
"but we dont need money, criminals do!"
"ah, right"
Posted by mageist24 6 years ago
mageist24
I would like to make this debate again, as the pro, but in much greater detail. Would anybody actually want that? I would feel bad about making a debate with the same subject as this one.
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
J.Kenyon, you're very respectful.

wsu4ever, way to vote-bomb yourself.
Posted by losedotexe 6 years ago
losedotexe
I saw a LOT of dropped arguments ; I saw a lot of gaps, and not a lot information really given.
Both of you put your individual views into the debate ; Rule of thumb is that this is bad. You don't want it to be a personal debate ; keep it general.
I also only saw one source used ; kudos for it being recent. Smiley, you had an argument against it, but you didn't post the SOURCE. It's so important that you do. Cite anything that you got from a source.
Also, both sides make assertions without sources or evidence, and not all of it is easily understandable.
My only other critique, is that there was nearly no framework ; It was hard to really comprehend your links because of it. Try blocking out your texts a bit more.
Other than that, you both do very well at arguing and bringing in ideas, as well as refuting. I think if you try out a standard debate format, you both could have some extremely intense debates.
I look very forward to seeing both of you debating. :)
Posted by smileydodge 6 years ago
smileydodge
yes, but you don't understand... If it says that this person died, from marijuana you can trust that source, no matter how wrong it sounds. No one knows if it's real or not, except God.
Posted by feverish 6 years ago
feverish
Smiley, I really can't tell if you're being serious now, if you're a sarcastic troll then you are a genuis. Wiki answers is a source that members of the general public post their answers to. Try googling grehy ftuky, it means nothing. If you think that it's the name of someone who died from smoking weed, then you should be able to find some kind of journalistic source to confirm it. I assume you just googled "died from marijuana" or something, if grehy ftuky is all you found, alongside all the sources saying no-one ever has, it should tell you something.
Posted by smileydodge 6 years ago
smileydodge
Dear feverish, What if that person was a real human being? You can't just judge that that person wasn't real just because the name is unusual. I got this from a source and I am using it. Thank you for your questions.
Posted by smileydodge 6 years ago
smileydodge
Well actually, dinokiller has a point. Yes, people have the choice to do marijuana or not even if it is illegal, but now since we have health care, it causes even more problems because we have to pay for the marijuana abuser's mistakes.
Vote Placed by Elmakai 6 years ago
Elmakai
wsu4eversmileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by wsu4ever 6 years ago
wsu4ever
wsu4eversmileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by Shtookah 6 years ago
Shtookah
wsu4eversmileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by angela.siebrecht 6 years ago
angela.siebrecht
wsu4eversmileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
GeoLaureate8
wsu4eversmileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by WhoDaFoo4 6 years ago
WhoDaFoo4
wsu4eversmileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by chaseybabe 6 years ago
chaseybabe
wsu4eversmileydodgeTied
Vote Placed by smileydodge 6 years ago
smileydodge
wsu4eversmileydodgeTied