Jackadair123
travis18352

Marijuana should be legal in the United States

Jackadair123

Con

I believe that Marijuana should not be legal in the United States or even be considered to become legal. I believe Marijuana should not be legal for two reasons. One reason is that there are too many long term effects of Marijuana. Another reason is that if you legalize Marijuana and try to illegalize it, it would be too hard to do.

I would like to set some ground rules:
1.) Support your reason with facts for evidence
2.) No opinions are allowed
travis18352

Pro

I am going to start by saying i am against using marijuana I don't believe that i have any right to take someone elses right to smoke weed away. People go to jail everyday because of marijuana. Marijuana is a relatively harmless drug so there is no reason that people should go to jail because they got pulled over and there was a little marijuana in the car. You say there are to many long term effects of marijuana. Well what long term effects? You say that we shouldn't legalize it because it would be to hard to illegalize it again? That is a piss poor argument.
I used to be against legalizing marijuana but when i looked at the facts i went full libertarian.
Jackadair123

Con

In fact, there are a lot of long term effects. Here are some long term effects of Marijuana: reduced resistance to illness (basically weakens your immune system), growth disorders, increase or start of abnormally shaped cells in the body, reduction of male sex hormones, fast destruction of lung fibers, any injuries to the brain can be permanent, reduced sexual capacity, unable to retain information as well (reduced ability to learn), lack of motivation, drowsiness, mood changes, personality changes (could become a psychopath), and inability to understand things as clearly. Those are just a few of the long term effects of Marijuana. I mean, who wants to become a psychopath?! I mean who wants reduced sexual capability?

Also, you were asking me how it would be hard to illegalize Marijuana after it has been legalized. Well think of alcohol prohibition in the 1920's and the early 1930's. Alcohol prohibition became the eighteenth amendment to the Constitution in 1920. It was repealed in 1933 because of one reason. That one reason was that it was too hard to control the consumption and sales of alcohol because it is basically everywhere. People drank, produced, and sold alcohol illegally. It did not reduce crime, it actually increased it. For example, in Los Angeles, California, crime was the most it had ever been during the prohibition of alcohol. More police officers at that time got killed than any other 13 year time period. What I am basically trying to say is that the same thing will happen if we legalize Marijuana and then try to illegalize it because Congress or the state government will realize how bad of a drug Marijuana is.
travis18352

Pro

I believe those long term effects that you listed are not as bad as the long term effects of cigarettes and alcohol so should we make those illegal as well or should we give people the freedom to destroy their body with whatever they want. I don't think anybody wants to become a psychopath or to have reduced sexual capability but its not my right to say that people cant use marijuana. I wasn't asking how it would be hard to illegalize it again but why that is a good reason not to legalize it in the first place. It is all about freedom and I believe that people should have the freedom to smoke whatever they want. I'm not going to smoke marijuana so I don't have to worry about the long term effects of it but if someone wants to use marijuana and they don't care about the long term effects then its their own damn fault. Also marijuana has alot of medical purposes. Marijuana can help with glaucoma by relieving the pressure in the persons eyes. Even George Washington smoked marijuana to relieve his tooth pain.
Jackadair123

Con

I agree with you on how alcohol is a worse drug than Marijuana, but that is a totally different topic. Let's focus on Marijuana. Though cigarettes are very harmful and dangerous, it is not considered a drug. Marijuana is considered a drug. Like I said, let's stick to the Marijuana topic.

You say that you are not going to smoke Marijuana and not worry about the long term effects, but have you thought about second-hand smoke? Many people die a year from second-hand smoke from cigarettes. You could get the long-term effects (possibly) and the short-term effects from second-hand smoke from Marijuana. What a growing kid gets second-hand smoke from Marijuana?

Also, you say Marijuana has a lot of medical purposes. You are right, but they should not be smoking Marijuana. They should be taking Medical Marijuana pills because it still helps you in many ways such as treating pain and helping with seizures. Another reason why you should use Medical Marijuana instead of straight Marijuana is that it does not get you high. It will also not result in as many of the long-term or short-term effects as straight Marijuana.

Lastly, what good is a world with a bunch of dumb police officers and dumb firefighters trying to keep our country safe? Firefighters are not even allowed to smoke anything! You do not want a dumb police officer dealing with your situation and getting him/herself killed.
travis18352

Pro

I agree we should stick to marijuana but i was just pointing out that marijuana is relatively harmless when compared to cigarettes or alcohol. I can see short term effects from second hand smoke from marijuana but not long term effects. If marijuana is taxed and regulated which is what I believe we should do we could regulate it like we regulate cigarettes. In most states you cant smoke smoke indoors.
Medical marijuana in a pill form would be great as well but i also believe that people should be able smoke marijuana for medical reasons as well.
Im going to be honest with you. I was very confused with that last paragraph so i wont respond to that.
Posted by Blunter_Passit 3 years ago
Blunter_Passit
"causing mild hallucinogenic effects. Now does all that sound "harmless" to you? " Marijuana does not make you hallucinate, and is an actually "chill" sensation, making people laugh, getting rid of stress, helping out with diseases such as cancer and how it freezes the cells and prevents them from spreading. What's harmless about marijuana is it's been here since ancient times. & on your "Withdrawals" Aggression gets me; Q: Does Marijuana Make People Violent? A: no, in fact, Federal Bureau of Narcotics once told Congress just the opposite- that it leads to non-violence & pacifism. Which sayings go as " Pass The Bong So We Can All Get Along" "Weed Is What We Need" Do you think our founding fathers would be happy about what we are now? 2007; 800,xxx people were arrested for marijuana and 90% of it was just possession only.
Posted by Blunter_Passit 3 years ago
Blunter_Passit
I like how you say "let's focus on marijuana" but you said "do you know how many people die from second smoking from cigarettes" from cigarettes, not marijuana right? It was legal at first and farmers were forced to grow cannabis for the War Efforts and it was used as medical in 2737 B.C. One of the stupidest things I've heard is Dr. James C. Munch claims that he smoked marijuana and it turned him into a bat and he was one of the "Official Expert" on marijuana for the U.S. Government from 1938-1962 and if that's a valid argument that's pretty lame lol
Posted by ChloeMcIverFloyd 3 years ago
ChloeMcIverFloyd
You are welcome @Jackdair123.
Posted by Jackadair123 3 years ago
Jackadair123
And thank you ChloeMcIverFloyd.
Posted by Jackadair123 3 years ago
Jackadair123
Do not worry Conservative101, I made my argument as small as I can so that people can read it fast and join the debate much faster because it looks like I do not know anything about my topic.
Posted by ChloeMcIverFloyd 3 years ago
ChloeMcIverFloyd
Wow @travis18352, this quote is ludicrous. You said, "Marijuana is a relatively harmless drug so there is no reason that people should go to jail because they got pulled over and there was a little marijuana in the car." Now here are the side effects of smoking marijuana-
Short Term
-impaired coordination
-skewed sensory
-time perception
-difficulty with thinking
-concentrating and problem solving
-shortened attention span and distractibility
-impaired learning and memory
-decreased alertness
-euphoria
-can lead to disturbed thoughts
-can worsen psychotic symptoms in schizophrenics

Long-term
-lowered motivation
-anxiety
-panic attacks
-respiratory illnesses
-increased heart rate
-increased risk of heart attack

Withdrawals
-irritability
-sleeplessness
-anxiety
-impaired appetite
-aggression

Also the main active chemical in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol, and it move very quickly through the bloodstream and to the brain, causing mild hallucinogenic effects. Now does all that sound "harmless" to you? I have found that most people who think that smoking marijuana should be legal are the people who smoke it. I am sorry but it is true in most cases. Marijuana is unsafe and should not be legalized.
Posted by Conservative101 3 years ago
Conservative101
I am against marijuana legalization, but you are going to need some better arguments/facts if you are going to win.