anb820
1Historygenius

Marijuana should be legal.

1Historygenius

anb820

Pro

Marijuana should be legal. The amount of harmful effects are very, very small. Legalizing cannabis will create millions of new jobs in the United States as well. Have you ever thought about how bad alcohol and tobacco are for people, yet they are not illegal? Tobacco is a drug as well, and it kills millions of people each year. There is not a single reported instance of someone dying from overdosing or using marijuana. Marijuana can affect ones motor skills, problem solving and driving ability but then again, so can alcohol. Cannabis even has its health benefits, like stress relief, sleeping help, muscle pain relief, and people who don't eat enough will eat more with marijuana. There are many, MANY common misconceptions on marijuana, and one is that it kills brain cells. There is no scientific evidence supporting this theory though. Legalizing cannabis will improve our economy greatly, creating millions of new jobs and letting people out of jail. Marijuana is a very common crime and there are hundreds of thousands of people in jails because of using or distributing the drug. When there are horrible people out in the world, killers, rapists, robbers, insane criminals, the marijuana users get put away instead?! Police officers pay too much attention to drugs being sold and used rather than what actually matters. Marijuana being legalized would be an excellent way to improve our economy and peoples' health.
1Historygenius

Con

My Refutations

"The amount of harmful effects are very, very small. Legalizing cannabis will create millions of new jobs in the United States as well. Have you ever thought about how bad alcohol and tobacco are for people, yet they are not illegal? Tobacco is a drug as well, and it kills millions of people each year."

Its important to remember that tobacco is less potent than marijuana. Marijuana is much stronger than tobacco and several studies have found that the smoke actually hurts the immune system. The main chemical in marijuana, THC, actually weakens the immune system in people. How can this be a good thing? Oh and by the way, alcohol can actually be healthy for you in low doses for several reasons, so alcohol can actually be good for you. Marijuana on the other hand is bad for you in big or small doses. Due to the fact marijuana hurts T-cells, and weakens the lungs, risk of lung infections raise for those using marijuana. Any amount of marijuana increases the risk of heart attack (it raises heart rate), and in the long-term causes birth defects. [1,2]

"Legalizing cannabis will improve our economy greatly, creating millions of new jobs and letting people out of jail. Marijuana is a very common crime and there are hundreds of thousands of people in jails because of using or distributing the drug. When there are horrible people out in the world, killers, rapists, robbers, insane criminals, the marijuana users get put away instead?!"

What? WHAT? It won't improve our economy. Tobacco does not improve the economy, but like I said before, it is not as potent as marijuana and that is why tobacco is legal and marijuana is not. Because Marijuana is worse, it will cause even less economic growth. Tobacco causes -2% GDP in the entire world. Can you imagine what would happen if marijuana became legal in the entire world? It would be a disaster to the global economy. [3]

My Case

Effects of Legalization

In the Netherlands, where drugs are legal, crime has rapidly increased. Because marijuana increases the inability to think properly, it increases crime. Most criminals even test positive for drugs anyway. Increased use of marijuana increases the use of other drugs which could even be more harmful. In the case of marijuana and cocaine:

“....a 10-percent decrease in the price of marijuana would increase the prevalence of cocaine use by 4.4 to 4.9 percent.”

So in the end, marijuana would be a bad thing to legalize. [4]

1. http://www.sarnia.com...
2. http://www.heritage.org...
3. http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
4. http://www.rand.org...
anb820

Pro

anb820 forfeited this round.
1Historygenius

Con

Liberals create such wasteful debates....
anb820

Pro

I understand your argument, and I agree. I'm really not in the mood to debate right now.. I'd just like for you to know I'm only 15 so sorry if I seemed dumb!
1Historygenius

Con

That's OK, I suggest you do research to debate better. Once you do that, you can be a top debater like me.
anb820

Pro

anb820 forfeited this round.
1Historygenius

Con

Then again, the debate is not entirely wasteful. Sometimes debates where opponents just FF prove that your arguments are invincible.
anb820

Pro

Ha I forfeited because I didn't have enough time to post a new argument, not because I just decided not to respond. But anyways, you win, because I really don't know much about law or drugs. You actually kind of changed my mind, so good job
1Historygenius

Con

Victory. Remember to get better, do research before taking a side. Sources are key to victory.
Posted by 1Historygenius 3 years ago
1Historygenius
@qopel, you would notice that I retrieved my comment on the debate being wasteful rounds later.
Posted by 1Historygenius 3 years ago
1Historygenius
I agree with proglib
Posted by proglib 3 years ago
proglib
Don't feel dumb, Anb820. I'm 57 and HistoryGenius kicked my b*tt in our debate.

He's got an excellent debating record, and lots of practice. Keep trying. Practice makes perfect is one of those (almost*) true cliches.

*"Almost" true because there is little or no perfection in the real world, only in mathematics and theory.
Vote Placed by TUF 3 years ago
TUF
anb8201HistorygeniusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con inherently had a stronger case to begin with, however the forfeits make this hands down.
Vote Placed by qopel 3 years ago
qopel
anb8201HistorygeniusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had better conduct. Con called the debate "wasteful". Con had better spelling and grammar. Con used sources, although it still didn't convince me.
Vote Placed by proglib 3 years ago
proglib
anb8201HistorygeniusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff so majority of points obviously to Con. Conduct to Pro for gracious concession (NOT that Con didn't also act graciously.)
Vote Placed by ConservativeAmerican 3 years ago
ConservativeAmerican
anb8201HistorygeniusTied