lol101
Debate_King1475

Marijuana should be legal

lol101

lol101

Pro

I propose that Marijuana should be legalized. I believe that it's a spectacular opportunity for those who are dealing with the hardships of life to escalate in terms of mood or disease. Studies have shown that Marijuana has the capability of stopping Cancer, curing Glaucoma, reversing effects of Tobacco and ameliorating lung health, decreasing anxiety, ridding of Dravet's Syndrome, etc.

C1) A substance that is able to prevent the effects of negative thoughts and emotions, diseases, and seizures should be legal.
C2) Without Marijuana, you are going to have people who are outright stressed out, get seizures, and are withering from diseases.
P1) Marijuana should be legalized (everywhere)

There is a good reason for why police officers think Marijuana should be legal. 3.6 Billion dollars were spent against the usage of pot in 2010. I believe that is an insanely large sum of money to be spent on something as simple as Marijuana usage, which is good for you, and we should be spending this large weight of money on crimes that are actually dangerous, like assaulting others drunkenly.

If Tobacco is legal, then why on earth should Marijuana should be illegal? Since Marijuana can reverse the effects of Tobacco and keep your lungs in a healthy state, that makes it even better than Tobacco itself.

1] http://www.businessinsider.com...
2] http://www.rollingstone.com...
Debate_King1475

Con

I accept the debate and I wish you good luck. Let's begin.

The relief from stress from marijuana is definitely a benefit of marijuana for certain people that have terminal cancer, going to a mental breakdown, etc. This is good. We actually have medicinal marijuana for this. The thing that you are refering to is recreational marijuana I presume (correct me if I'm wrong). As in using marijuana for recreation, I will argue that it should be illegal to be used in that way.

"Marijuana also affects brain development. When marijuana users begin using as teenagers, the drug may reduce thinking, memory, and learning functions and affect how the brain builds connections between the areas necessary for these functions.

Marijuana’s effects on these abilities may last a long time or even be permanent.

For example, a study showed that people who started smoking marijuana heavily in their teens and had an ongoing cannabis use disorder lost an average of eight IQ points between ages 13 and 38. The lost mental abilities did not fully return in those who quit marijuana as adults. Those who started smoking marijuana as adults did not show notable IQ declines (Meier, 2012)."

http://www.drugabuse.gov...;

This excerpt from the government website just shows some of the problems that people face with long term marijuana usage. There are also other health risks such as breathing problems, increase heart rate that may lead to heart attack and it increases the user's chance of obtaining mental disorders such as random hallucinations, schizophrenia, and paranoia.

With all these health risks involved, I see no reason as to why the legalization of marijuana should happen. To put that much risks at one's health explains why marijuana should not be legal.

lol101

Pro

Thank you for replying, I shall propose a devil's advocate.

Marijuana does have some negative effects, that is inarguable. However, Marijuana usage is nowhere near as dangerous as other drugs or diseases, and actually prevents deaths.

Anually, Marijuana causes 0 deaths per year. Marijuana is not lethal compared to a drug like Tobacco, which causes about 406,290 deaths per year, or Alcohol, which causes 116,000 deaths per year. If you add these statistics up, that means you would have a total of 552,290 deaths from Alcohol and Tobacco every year. That's over half of a million people! Marijuana is actually proven to distract kids from Alcohol and Tobacco, two lethal substances. Marijuana also decreases the amount of car crashes by 8-11%, especially since people who use Marijuana become more calm. It also helps with parenting skills and can fight against Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Now for some financial statistics. The U.S is spending 7.7 billion dollars to illegalize Marijuana. However, taxing for Marijuana can give the U.S a grand total of 6 billion more dollars a year, and a minimum of 4 million dollars in a year. If the U.S can save billions of our profit, they can use the money for bigger issues and strengthen our economy as Marijuana usage continues to grow. Also, WeGrow would be able to set up more jobs for people, building up the economy even more!

Finally, I must argue that Marijuana is beneficial for the environment. If Marijuana is legalized, it will allow high degree planters to grow Marijuana and waste less water and electricity. Otherwise, Marijuana would have to continue in the state of being grown by lower class planters who may be unaware of the consequences. Currently, 5 billion dollars thrown out of the window because of the use of electricity. Toxins are also emitted from Marijuana if it's planted and grown incorrectly.

1]http://distractify.com...
Debate_King1475

Con

Great arguments! One thing I would like for you to do though is use more reliable sources live .gov or .edu or .org instead .com for your websites. I'm not saying all your facts are wrong, but it would be better to have a source that is more educated on the subject matter. Anyway again good luck and let's begin.

http://www.oregon.gov...
This is an older study shows that in from, Jan. 1, 1997-June 30, 2005. Marijuana contributed to 279 deaths in the 8.5 years. I know that it is not a lot for 8.5 year but you were making a false claim that it does not kill anyone each year, which is false. Now marijuana can not be overdosed, which you might have been trying to say but you need to understand that it can hurt people.

Also, I would like to ask for some fact check on some of the following claims.

"It also helps with parenting skills"

"Marijuana also decreases the amount of car crashes by 8-11%, especially since people who use Marijuana become more calm"

Those were just some small issues but now down to the main arguements.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu...

"Marijuana is can cause serious mental disorders such as acute toxic psychosis, panic attacks (one of the very conditions it is being used experimentally to treat), flashbacks, delusions, depersonalization, hallucinations, paranoia, depression, and uncontrollable aggressiveness. And in addition, In the short term, marijuana use impairs perception, judgment, thinking, memory, and learning; memory defects may persist six weeks after last use. Also, It has been concretely established that smoking cigarettes promotes lung cancer (which causes more than 125,000 deaths in the US every year), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (chronic bronchitis and emphysema) and increased incidence of respiratory tract infections. This implies, but does not establish, that smoking marijuana may lead to some of the same results as smoking cigarettes. It is notable that several reports indicate an unexpectedly large proportion of marijuana users among cases of lung cancer and cancers of the oral cavity,pharynx, and larynx. The main respiratory consequences of smoking marijuana regularly (one joint a day) are pulmonary infections and respiratory cancer, whose connection to marijuana use has been strongly suggested but not conclusively proven. The effects also include chronic bronchitis, impairment in the function of the smaller air passages, inflammation of the lung, the development of potentially pre-cancerous abnormalities in the bronchial lining and lungs, and, as discussed, a reduction in the capabilities of many defensive mechanisms within the lungs."

With all these heath risks involved, the danger of marijuana is real and it is important to inhibit its use.

Also, regarding you points about the US spending billions of dollars preventing the use of marijuana. It is not the US governments fault that it must spend that money. It is the citizens faults that use the drug illegally. Also, even when marijuana gets legalized there will still be people under age that use the drug and that will still cost the US a lot of money. So, leaglizing it would save a little bit of money but at what cost? The cost of our health.

It is cheaper to grow marijuana but the extra energy used for other planter and farmer to grow other crops and supplies will be worth the investment. Because, the illegalization of marijuana will help our safety and also toxins are also emitted from Marijuana if it's planted and grown incorrectly. So, is it worth the exchange for a little extra cash to our health? I don't think so.
lol101

Pro

It's worth saving money and decreasing health if we decrease deaths. I could not find a decent ".gov or .org" site with the time I had. I will instead refute my opponent's argument using my evidence, which I believe is reliable enough. Since no rules were established, and many debates have these types of sources, I shall carry on with the debate.

Rebuttals:

Marijuana can cure many diseases, improve parenting skills, and decreases car crashes by 8-11%. I believe it's better to have a drug that can do such positive actions for people. Diseases and drugs that can kill you need to be prevented so that our health is better.

The study that shows that Marijuana contributed to 279 deaths in 8.5 years is outdated, not to mention the fact that 279 deaths in 8.5 years is not much at all. Dogs are rarely responsible for killing people, does that mean that we shall rid the world of dogs? No. On the other hand, my study was from 2010, not 1997-2005.

Decreasing car crashes and helping with parenting skills are not "small" issues. Preventing deaths and helping parents with raising their child is very deep. You did not refute the claim in any way, so it remains polished and untouched.

I can propose that it is definitely the government's fault for wasting money. If they did their research in order to realize that Marijuana can prevent the process of other diseases and drugs, surely they would consider that one small issue with many benefits is something that should be legal and is a better option rather than smoking cigarettes or drinking beer, which people already do.

Besides, people are going to smoke Marijuana anyway. There's no need for spending billions of dollars on something that will never go away. A Marijuana Prohibition may also lead to many issues with the citizens.

Overall, it is worth taking these small risks in order to counter the many other problems in the U.S. Banning Tobacco and Alcohol will not work, so we will have to use this tactic to slow down the process of Tobacco and Alcohol usage. Marijuana is an alternate drug that offers positive aspects to those who use it. Even regarding the health issues, I am all for a drug that will prevent deaths and work against worse drugs.
Debate_King1475

Con

You are proposing arguments with no evidence that don't make an sense. He could not find a reliable source with his crazy points so he chose to use his unreliable sources instead.

You say that marijuana cures many diseases but you have failed to explain how it cures these diseases but merely instead said that it does with no evidence to back it up.

You say that marijuana improves parenting but you give no explanation why and do you really think that a parent that is high is going to be a better parent.

Again, you made a claim that marijuana decreases car crashes by 8-11%. How do you know that? How was that number concluded? You give me no reason to believe you.

"Decreasing car crashes and helping with parenting skills are not "small" issues. Preventing deaths and helping parents with raising their child is very deep"

They are important but a small issue is something that the government should not spend much time investing in. There are so many people that can help with parenting and so many course on defensive driving, driving safety, etc. that the government does not need to step in because all that education and time people spend on educating people about the road.

"The study that shows that Marijuana contributed to 279 deaths in 8.5 years is outdated, not to mention the fact that 279 deaths in 8.5 years is not much at all. Dogs are rarely responsible for killing people, does that mean that we shall rid the world of dogs? No. On the other hand, my study was from 2010, not 1997-2005."

This is irrelevant. People died. That is it. Your source is not reliable and mine is. Mine is old but it is still reliable because it explained how they got the results that they got when your sources just stated unproven facts. And we are not talking about dogs. I don't understand why you are mentioning dogs.

I am going to stop refuting his points because they tend to all follow the same theme: They are unproven facts that I have no reason to believe.

He failed to counter my argument successfully that marijuana is bad for you by providing no evidence that suggest that there is a positive and so that concludes the debate.

Thank you to my opponent for this debate and I wish you luck on any future debates.
Vote Placed by BadGuy72 1 year ago
BadGuy72
lol101Debate_King1475Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Marijuana should be legal for ages 18+
Vote Placed by Khana 1 year ago
Khana
lol101Debate_King1475Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I feel that this debate was poor in a number of ways. Pro loses the conduct point for failing to properly respond to Con's legitimate request for evidence for Pro's claims. Pro wins the arguments because Pro made valid points, whereas Con merely indicated that marijuana is less than 100% healthy, rather than indicating why it should have a special status of illegal, by contrast to things like alcohol or tobacco, (or even processed sugar, for that matter), which are more dangerous, and not refuted. Con even gives it away by saying his argument was "marijuana is bad for you," which isn't the point. I tied the sources, because Pro's sources were on topic and to the point, though not especially reliable. Con had 3 sources: 1 didn't work, 1 related only to semantics, and 1 that could have been expanded on, but wasn't.