Nickisabi
whineymagician5

Marijuana should be legalized for Recreational and Medical use.

Nickisabi

Pro

Hello, this is my first debate, but it's a topic that I'm pretty adept at discussing so don't let my newbiness dissuade you.

First round is just acceptance.

Rules: 1. Have fun and be open-minded
whineymagician5

Con

Hello Nick, I'm new here to and this is my first debate on this site so please point out any of my errors. Lets get a good debate going and have fun!
Nickisabi

Pro

Okay let's do this!

Reason #1: The Mexican drug cartels, according to the Department of Justice, make 60% of their profit from Cannabis sales in the United States.

If the sale and taxation of legal Cannabis were put into place, this insanely immense profit can be taken out of the criminal world and put in the hands of legal, regulated business owners. Taxation in states such as Colorado and Washington have seen a drastic reduction in the amount of Cannabis being smuggled into the state.

Reason #2: Health risks and civil liberties.

Many argue that because Cannabis is usually consumed by inhaling the burned plant matter, that it isn't safe for consumption. However, neither is it safe to inhale the harsh chemicals in Tobacco. Marijuana does not contain the chemicals that are found in Tobacco, so if anything, people should be smoking Cannabis instead of Tobacco. Our current society has this dangerous impression that if something is legal it must be safe and if it is illegal it must be dangerous. Cannabis has been alleged to lead to chronic illnesses and mental disorders, but it has not yet been linked to lung cancer or any respiratory disease, for that matter. Some Cannabis users may develop schizophrenia, but studies have shown that these particular users are already predisposed to acquiring the illness. Cannabis may bring out the illness earlier than it would have, but it is not linked to causation of any sort. While Cannabis use has become more and more prevalent since the 1960's, the prevalence of schizophrenia have remained stagnant. Besides, who is anyone to tell somebody that they can't inhale plant matter?

Reason #3: Ending mass incarceration and the War on drugs

609,423 people have been arrested for simple possession of Marijuana, putting a huge strain on our law enforcement and prison system. These offenders are non-violent and often are working in the private sector. The economy suffers from job loss, and it's more expensive to jail these individuals than it is to keep them working. To end this, we must decriminalize the possession of marijuana (at the least.)

I can't wait to read your response :)
whineymagician5

Con

To start off I would like to point out that Marijuana is already the most commonly abused drug in the in the world. The fact that it is already extremely common would not help lower the rate of people using it for the wrong purpose as you are also arguing it for recreational use. And regulating use of this drug would be like regulating the use of guns to be sure they aren"t used for illegal purposes. One must also remember that Marijuana is a gateway drug and legalization would lead to young people getting a hold of it, abusing it, getting addicted and trying to find more drugs.

Another point is that making Marijuana illegal helps stop addiction more so than the obvious way of making it a crime to have. Near 37 percent, of treatment admissions reported in the treatment episode data set were referred through the criminal justice system and %57 percent of those people were addicted to marijuana. This shows that it being illegal shows that it can help people get rehab while it being legal would not get rehabilitation to those that need it.
I will admit I did not know that the Mexican cartel made that much money off of canabibis alone
Also quick question: what is the structure of this debate? Is it opening statements, rebuttals then closing statements or rebuttals then counter rebuttals?
Main source: http://www.cnbc.com...
Nickisabi

Pro

As far as statements and rebuttals go, we can just address each other's points in the order we list them. For example, I'll write my rebuttal to what you just wrote and then you can rebuttal my first argument after I post this argument. So, yes, rebuttals and then counter-rebuttals

The first statement that Con has put forth is that making it legal will not stop it from being used for the wrong purpose. I ask, what is the wrong purpose for using cannabis? I'm assuming you are referring (haha, refer :P) to the euphoric "high" it produces. As far as legalization leading to abuse by younger people, I must say, that it has been shown to produce the opposite effect. In states where it has been legalized, teenage usage goes down a significant percentage. From all of the articles I've read, (i'll list them as well) this increase can be attributed to the fact that dispensaries are now receiving the business that once used to belong to underground drug dealers. Now that legal-aged adults can access it through businesses, they no longer need to go to the underground dealers to get it. To put it simply, the dispensaries can't just sell cannabis to anyone, they have to sell it to appropriately aged people, at the age of 21 and up, thus making it more difficult to acquire than previously.

Con's second argument against legalization is that many addicts to marijuana only get help through the criminal justice system. This argument must be dismantled on the biological understanding of addiction. Doctor Gabor Mate, a physician with a focus in the psychology of addiction shows us that addiction is universal and that the only thing different about each case of addiction is the outside source that provides the temporary relief. Cannabis is addictive, much like how caffeine and Tobacco are addictive. But the addiction to a substance like marijuana is evident of predisposition to substance abuse, especially childhood trauma among other instances of abuse. To make my point concise, the addiction centers in Colorado that are taking in marijuana addicts that could have been alcoholics or abusers of harder drugs like heroin and cocaine. I would also like to point out that legal substances that are addictive such as prescription painkillers are not treated through the criminal justice system, since there isn't a legal basis for the criminal justice system to even be involved.

Though it was mentioned in Con's first rebuttal, I've decided to treat Con's assumption that marijuana is a gateway drug as it's own issue, since it is very highly believed to be so.

As time goes on, more and more studies are showing that the true gateway drug is not just marijuana, but alcohol. While a fraction of marijuana users move on to harder drugs later in life, a much greater fraction of Alcohol users move to harder drugs as well. Marijuana technically is a gateway drug, but much less of one than other substances have shown to be.

1. http://www.pbinstitute.com...
2. http://sensiblecolorado.org...
whineymagician5

Con

whineymagician5 forfeited this round.
Nickisabi

Pro

Nickisabi forfeited this round.
whineymagician5

Con

whineymagician5 forfeited this round.
Nickisabi

Pro

Nickisabi forfeited this round.
whineymagician5

Con

whineymagician5 forfeited this round.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 1 year ago
WhineyMagiciann5
@Nickisabi this is the same whiney magician from the debate. I don't know what happened but when I tried to login the site kept on sending me to the create account option instead. fi we could start another debate that would be fun and I admit that you would have beat me on this topic since I normally argue for this topic and not against it. lets hope that this dosent happen again.
Posted by whineymagician5 1 year ago
whineymagician5
I just wanna say before I finish my argument that I do think marijuana should be legal. its just good practice and fun to debate from different stand points so that's why it might not sound like im passionate for my side.