Clayd
Tin_Man

Marijuana should be legalized for recreational use

Clayd

Clayd

Pro

I believe Marijuana should be legalized in the United States for recreational use in every state and providence. Marijuana poses no serious threat to human health. In the 8000 year history of cannabis, there has not been one recorded death. Studies show you would have to smoke 15 lbs of Marijuana in a 30 minute period to die, which would be impossible because you would pass out before that could happen.

You may have the argument that it is addictive, well yes it could be mentally addictive. But, anything can be mentally addictive. Being on the computer could be addictive. Also even in the case in which they are mentally addicted, whats the harm in that? It will cause no physical problems, they won't be going through withdraw for not smoking weed. They wont end up in the hospital. The worse thing weed can do it put a hole in your wallet.

- http://www.drugscience.org...
Tin_Man

Con

Just to start off, I am in complete agreement my opponent on this issue. But I haven't played devil's advocate on this argument in a while, and you can only argue one side if you fully understand the other side. So, we'll see how well I can represent the people I usually debate about this.

First, to say that marijuana poses no serious threat to human health isn't completely honest. The threat posed by marijuana is not RELATIVELY serious, given the drugs that we have legalized (such as tobacco). But both alcohol and tobacco ARE considered "serious threats" to human health. Their legalized status does nothing to change their effects. Marijuana may not be as scary as heroin, and may cause health problems only on the level of cigarettes, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a threat to human health. There are people who look to ban smoking and drinking as well.

Don't forget, too, that while marijuana may not be "that bad", there is a psychological phenomenon which allows marijuana to be called a "gateway drug." This means that using marijuana and enjoying it is likely to build the desire to experiment with other sorts of drugs, including the ones that DO cause real, undeniable harm. This phenomenon is well-documented. This is not a "slippery slope" argument; I doubt that heroin will ever be legalized. Rather, the chances of someone being willing to try heroin (or a lesser drug that will eventually lead to heroin) increases dramatically when they try marijuana.

Second, it is also a bit disingenuous to say that there has been "no recorded death". The fact that marijuana did not cause the person's heart to stop beating in no way implies that the marijuana was faultless. The link below attributes around 2.5 percent of automobile deaths in whatever country the study took place to be linked to marijuana impairment. There is no way of knowing how many bad decisions were made under the influence of marijuana that indirectly led to death as well. We know it happens; our inability to record exact numbers is not evidence that marijuana is completely safe.

http://alcoholism.about.com...

Third, addiction in ANY form is not a good situation, whether it's from marijuana, porn, or arguing with bowls of green apples. Saying "where's the harm in that?" shows a profound ignorance of the detriment of mental addiction. Addiction is a painful experience, which can result in the loss of money, close relationships, jobs, and so forth. The fact that marijuana is just one bullet point in a long list of things that can be addictive in no way justifies an argument that it should be legalized. It only forces us to justify allowing all of those other things to stay legal.

Not to mention that, even if legalized, marijuana would STILL likely be permitted for use in ways that affect most jobs. Legalizing it is going to increase the chances someone can get addicted to it who otherwise wouldn't have tried it. I'd prefer a situation where my doctors, lawyers, firefighters, and police weren't any more tempted to work stoned than they already are, wouldn't you?

Just as a final point, it's not very useful to post a link unless you're using it to specifically cite a fact. I'm not arguing against your source, I'm arguing against you and how you're choosing to interpret the information. I'm not going to read that entire thing and argue against it. I'm only going to check and see if a claim you made is actually supported by the source you listed. You're free to do as you wish, but I'm just letting you know that I'm not going to read that whole thing so that you don't have to debate this on your own.
Clayd

Pro

You say Marijuana is a gateway drug, well there is actually no proof that it is. The person deciding to try the new drug is doing that on his own, if Marijuana never existed, then that person would go straight to a more harmful drug rather than Marijuana. You could even say cigarettes are a gateway to try Marijuana. But I will agree that it will increase the chances of them trying the drug, but that is 100% on them. I know people who have smoked Marijuana for years and years who have never touched any other illegal drug.

I won't be naive and say you're wrong about the deaths and accidents caused by Marijuana, but I will say that the risk of dying from Marijuana is MUCH lower than that of over the counter pills, alcohol, or cigarettes. If Alcohol is completely legal, but serves no real purpose, then why cant a completely organic plant be legal? Alcohol causes more problems than anything, fights, accidents, liver failure... List goes on. Weed causes lung damage. It may cause you to say and do some things you normally wouldn't, but nothing over the edge in most cases.
Marijuana has been proven to kill cancerous cells, relieve joint pain, and in some people cases relieve stress.
It has also been found to promote brain development.

-http://www.sciencedaily.com...

I'd say that the facts support legalization based on the other drugs and substances that are perfectly legal in the United States. Also I haven't even talked about the economic bonuses that would come after legalization. We could sell it and put a tax on it that would make money for local economies and the national economy, which we all can agree that we need.
http://www.collegian.psu.edu...
Tin_Man

Con

Tin_Man forfeited this round.
Clayd

Pro

Clayd forfeited this round.
Tin_Man

Con

Tin_Man forfeited this round.
Posted by Tin_Man 6 years ago
Tin_Man
Just FYI, I did NOT let my time run out. I posted at night, and by the next morning, I opened my account to see that I had apparently forfeited twice.

As I said, I'm more than willing to pick this debate back up...
Posted by Tin_Man 6 years ago
Tin_Man
After looking around the site, I can't figure out why I would have been auto-forfeited from the debate, since I know I took no action to make that happen.

If you'd like, I'd be more than welcome to restart this. We can just copy & paste our responses up until the forfeit...
Posted by Tin_Man 6 years ago
Tin_Man
I'm not sure what happened, but I turned on my computer this morning and found that I had forfeited the rounds. Which would have happened while I was asleep.

...huh?
Vote Placed by ApostateAbe 6 years ago
ApostateAbe
ClaydTin_ManTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit. that is what happens when you let the time run out.