SnaxAttack
masterdrave

Marijuana should be legalized in all 50 states of the United States

SnaxAttack

Pro

This debate is whether or not the idea of legalizing Marijuana should be initiated. I am on the side of "Pro" meaning that I am for the legalization, while my opponent will argue the opposite on the side of "Con".

Rules:

No forfeits, unless both sides forfeit the same amount of rounds; then it is fair game.
No foul language of any kind, both sides must respect each other.
No Trolls please!
If you use a source, post its link in a "Source Category".
Any rules broken is an automatic disqualification for the individual who broke the rules.

Structure:
Round 1: Acceptance and any questions for clarification (Please post in the comment section).
Round 2: Opening Argument (Please Keep it Short) for both Pro and Con, except Con can Rebuttal this round if they choose.
Round 3 & 4: Both sides Rebuttal
Round 5: Pro Rebuttals and states his or her Conclusion, while Con will just have to state his or her Conclusion only.

Please follow the structure for this debate so it is fair. Failure to do this is a disqualification. The reasoning why certain people can Rebuttal at certain times is because of keeping it fair, because I discovered that the person accepting the challenge always recieves one more Rebuttal. So, I thought about evening it up so both sides has a fair shot at Rebuttaling against each other. This debate is actually the test for this idea.

Definitions:
Marijuana: The dried leaves and female flowers of the hemp plant, used in a cigarette form as a narcotic or hallucinogen.

Should: Used to indicate what is probable.

Legalized: Make (something that was previously illegal) permissible by law.

United States: Country, made up of 50 States, that is in the middle of North America.

Good luck to whoever accepts!
masterdrave

Con

Hi, glad to accept your debate. A fascinating topic!
SnaxAttack

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate, and hope to have a fun debate. To begin this debate, I wish to provide what this whole debate falls under; self-responsibility or personal responsibility. The definition, which is very similar in both these terms, is defined as "The state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable forsomething within one's power, control, or management"(1). Basically, being in charge of yourself, and the usage of Marijuana falls under this category. It is the individuals decision on smoking that weed, no one else.

The reason why I bring this up is because of who is using the drug in the first place. The person who decided to use the drug, simple as that. Now my opponent will probably make the argument of the damage that Marijuana can do to the body, and I will disprove that idea. Stated under "Smoking Weed Doesn't Harm Lungs If It's A Joint A Day, Even After 20 Years" (2), it states that even after smoking marijuana for one whole week, its "long-term effects" didn't really impact anyone. Its a brain enhancing drug that messes with the brain for a short period of time, similar to a temporary dose of cold medicine. You take it, you feel drowzy but does not impact you for feeling drowzy for the rest of your life; its just temporary. But to give my opponent the benefit of the doubt, there has been research about Marijuana causing harm to the body. Stated under the website "Health Line" (3), it states how Marijuana can damage the brain and lung system. Both sides present reasonable reasons, but lets think about it like this. If anyone is willing to cause potential harm to their body, why not make some money off of them? This leads to my next argument.

My next argument is that with legalizing Marijuana, the economic benefits will be great. Stated under "How Legalizing Pot Could Save America's Economy" (4), it says:

"Legalizing marijuana on a federal level would provide economic benefits for the United States in the billions, precisely at a time when the federal economy needs a major boost. It's not just the feds, however, who would benefit; legalization would provide top-down economic improvements in local communities, state coffers, and more. In addition to bringing in funds, it would save regional and state governments substantial sums in currently wasted law enforcement dollars".

How is this bad, when it has the potential to help our economy? Why waste money on the War of Drugs, when in reality; people are always going to find a way to "sneak" Marijuana to the state or country? With Marijuana legalized, it will help our economy and I know this first hand. I live in the state of Colorado, and no I do not smoke Marijuana, and we have legalized marijuana. Because of my state doing this, we are actually gaiining a high revenue of profit from businesses; and the besty part is that the money is going towards schools and law enforcement. How is this bad, when it is actually giving our state huge benefits?

For my final argument, I would like to address a statistic on current arrests happening in the United States. Stated under "Drug War Statistics" it addresses the amount of individuals who were arrested for pocessing Marijuana. The number was 1.5 million, which is high, and is 48 percent (6) of the prisoners in prison. Apparently, if you have a small dose of Marijuana that is illegal in the state; you get charged in prison for 5 years. How is this fair, when those who commited serious crimes (Murder, Rape, etc.) are lower than Drug Violations; those with the usage of Marijuana? If we legalize marijuana, this will reduce the prison populations and accept prisoners who deserve to be in prison.

Now I wait for my opponents argument, and good luck!

1. http://dictionary.reference.com...
2. http://www.medicaldaily.com...
3. http://www.healthline.com...
4. http://theweek.com...
5. http://www.drugpolicy.org...
6. http://thinkprogress.org...
masterdrave

Con

I also thank my opponent for this debate, and would like to add that I hope to have fun here too.
By destroying you.

Now I wait for my opponents rebuttal, although I already know how piteous it will be. Good luck!

1. http://dictionary.reference.com......
2. http://www.medicaldaily.com......
3. http://www.healthline.com......
4. http://theweek.com......
5. http://www.drugpolicy.org......
6. http://thinkprogress.org......
SnaxAttack

Pro

My opponent, in the last round, copy & pasted my own argument. He didn't even argue for his side of the debate about being Con. Because of him arguing my own argument, that is meant to represent that he "dropped" the debate. So, I think we know who is in the lead currently voters.

Also, if my opponent is trying to "troll" me; he is failing. I know how to handle trolls very effectively.
masterdrave

Con

masterdrave forfeited this round.
SnaxAttack

Pro

I will not argue, until my opponent does.
masterdrave

Con

You're pathetic. "I know how to handle trolls." Oh please. Is that like the same way you know how to handle a man's cock? But what else could I expect from someone who's favourite movie is Stardust. Oh, and I see you like Doctor Who as well. How typical. Why don't you go off in time and space with your fantasy lover and rid this world of your weakness.

What a poor show.
SnaxAttack

Pro

You say that I'm pathetic, when in reality you fail to even win, or tie, most of your debates. You clearly fail to understand a debate, which is why I think it's easy to determine the winner voters. This was more of a "Troll Debate", presented by my opponent, which breaks the rules that I stated in the first round.

Also, he has failed to hold his conduct within the fourth round. For my favorite shows and movies, who cares. If you don't like it, that is fine; but that doesn't mean you should show a bad temper toward them. Obvious troll, who fails to even be classified as a troll. In fact, your attitude is more in the form of a jerk than troll. A troll is messing with someone, not being a jerk by calling someone "pathetic".

Vote Pro!
masterdrave

Con

Go kill yourself you rapist coward.
Posted by robertacollier 1 year ago
robertacollier
Do I get a handicap if I debate you while stoned?