Xenoth
Cats_are_cool

Marijuana should be legalized in the US.

Cats_are_cool has forfeited round #2.

Xenoth

Pro

I, pro, will be arguing for the legalization of the recreational use of marijuana, also known as weed.

Format:
Round 1 - Opening statements (not arguments)
Round 2 - Pro begins opening argument, con rebuttals
Round 3 - Final arguments and statements

Rules:
1. Don't troll
2. Use correct grammar and spelling
3. You will have 72 hours to respond. This should be more than enough time and both person's are expected to submit their arguments during this time frame to prevent bugs and glitches
4. Be civil
5. There is a max of 8,000 characters. If you need more, put it on a Google document and post the link as your argument.
6. If you need extra time or wish to continue the debate, message your opponent.

I wish the best of luck to con.
Cats_are_cool

Con

Why are you doing this? Drugs kill people and you want that to be happening? This world is already extremely dangerous with all of the pollution and our earth can not be handling anymore pollution, but with drugs coming here it will break the surface and let space come in and then there will be no life. God made people to have a happy life and to be kind to each other, not to put millions of dollars into drugs when actually we could be helping our earth with all that money. People either don't keep up with the end of their deal and get killed over that or they find a way to get it in houses and sell the product. The exact same with alcohol, it may seem harmless but it does a GREAT effect on your body. Please think this over. The world needs peace. Men and women sacrificed their lives to make ours better, but with drugs they fought for nothing.
Xenoth

Pro

I fully understand the implications of legalizing drugs. My mother, in fact, is addicted to Nicotine. Long story short, banning it doesn't help and legalizing it could lower the number of drug uses. Let me explain..

Our current system is flawed. When we tried regulating products that create math, they used alternative methods. When we regulated those, we got drugs from Mexico. It simply doesn't work. And then we put them to jail. In 2009 alone we spent 2 billion on sending them to jail. That's roughly 22,000 dollars per prisoner. In 2007, 13 percent of all arrests were drug related. Now all of this may seem small in the grand scheme of things. Well if we decriminalized drugs we would save around 50 billion dollars total.

Now onto the health effects. After making it illegal, drugs became more dangerous.

Then there's the violence. We have seen a spike in violence because of it as drug cartels can't settle agreements through the legal system. According to some studies crime is 25 percent higher because of the war on drugs.

So how do we fix this?
First, legalize it. The war on drugs isn't helping anyone. Next, use the Swiss modeling the 1980's, the Swiss had a heroin epidemic. HIV rose, street crime rose, and so did poverty. What did they do? They opened heroin maintenance centers. Here's the logic: You get free, high quality heroin, clean needles, showers, beds, safe injection rooms and medical supervision. In return you have to try to stop with the help of doctors and social workers will get you a house and job. The results were amazing. HIV went down, so did crime, drug use lowered, and so did the number of heroin overdoses. Two thirds of all admitted became your average drug free workers.

And on top of all of that, it was cheaper.

TL;DR:
The war on drugs doesn't work and we should use the Swiss model which lowered overdoses, crime, and HIV rates while also being cheaper.

https://youtu.be...
https://youtu.be...
Posted by Xenoth 11 months ago
Xenoth
Shaun, as I have said before I will most likely be using some of those points in round 3 if it's relevant to what con said.
Posted by ShaunTakesOn 11 months ago
ShaunTakesOn
I am saddened by the fact that humans even need to argue about things. They care too much about their own personal feelings rather than facts.

#1 by definition, marijuana is NOT a drug. So any statement you have that refers to "drugs" does not include marijuana. It's a controlled substance, not a drug. There is a difference.

#2 Marijuana is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco. Check the stats.

#3 Tobacco and alcohol act as a "gateway" drug more than marijuana, by a long shot. Check the stats.

I'm going to pause at 3 to be fair and satisfy my OCD. I dare you to defeat "ALL" 3 points. Good luck.
Posted by Xenoth 11 months ago
Xenoth
To Sinque: Yep. I'm planning to use that at one point in the debate.
To MagicAintReal: Yeah, I do.
Posted by Sinque 11 months ago
Sinque
There is minimal proof that marijuana is actually dangerous like many other drugs. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by MagicAintReal 11 months ago
MagicAintReal
Do you mean that you're arguing for the *federal* legalization of marijuana?
One might come at you with "we can't legalize something that's already legalized," given the numerous states that have already legalized it.