lemaandrew
effy

Marijuana should be legalized in the United States

lemaandrew

lemaandrew

Pro

I would like to begin the argument with the simple fact that the cannabis plant should be legalized in the U.S. for its many useful qualities. For example: from the cannabis comes the root hemp which is an economic friendly and cheaper way to make paper, rope, and clothing. While illegal it is nearly impossible for anyone to manufacture hemp in the U.S. If legalized hemp would not only help to minimize our economic foot print, it would also save money.

Marijuana has also been scientifically proven to be less harmful than tobacco and alcohol. So why are they both legal while marijuana remains one of the most politically debated topics in the U.S. Well no one seems to be able to provide a valid answer accept for that it is a drug and should stay illegal. Which is a useless argument considering the fact that many drugs are illegal and helping people, which marijuana could be doing if legalized
effy

Con

First of all, I have taken this debate on as an ex cannabis smoker, therefore have seen the lasting effects of the drug. I think the main thing to be taken into consideration is the side effects of the drug.
Marijuana side effects come from smoking or consuming the drug and marijuana side effects influence the mind and body of the user. Marijuana side effects can be as seemingly innocent as an increased appetite to as life threatening as lung cancer. Increased likelihood for accidents is also one of the marijuana side effects. Studies show that 6 to 11 percent of fatal accidents are contributed to by marijuana side effects. Other external marijuana side effects include legal problems, work and financial problems and troubles at home.
Marijuana is most often smoked but can be eaten or steeped in tea to drink. Most over-doses occur actually when the drug is eaten because it is easier to consume a large dose all at once. Marijuana side effects from an overdose include toxic psychosis including hallucinations, delusions and a loss of self-identification. When smoked, marijuana is rolled up into a cigarette called a joint or smoked in a pipe or water pipe called a bong. Marijuana has many street names like pot, hash, chronic and there are many paraphernalia available to smoke it.
Over 11 million people smoked marijuana last month. Many may not have severe marijuana side effects from taking the drug but many people will. Marijuana side effects include physical problems like breathing difficulties and deteriorating physical abilities. Despite a popular belief, marijuana side effects speed up the heart, blood and breathing rate. The body is taxed more and this speeds up the aging process just like methamphetamines do. The marijuana side effects from this extra exertion on the body include a higher risk for lung cancer, heart attacks and strokes.

I could go in to a few more, but there isn't enough room on this post, so I will bring more up in the next.
lemaandrew

Pro

lemaandrew forfeited this round.
effy

Con

Seeing as my opponent forfeited the round I will assume that he cannot find any more positive arguments to equal out the negative.
lemaandrew

Pro

lemaandrew forfeited this round.
effy

Con

Although my opponent has forfeited the previous rounds I will continue my argument.
If legalised, legal for which purposes?
I'm quite happy to see it legalised for medical purposes, same as morphine is - but note how restricted is the legal use of morphine!
I'm not happy to see it legalised for recreational purposes.
- There is a lot of mythology among users about how harmless it is, and there is definitely no point asking long-term heavy users - they will have forgotten what their intellect was like before they became addicted.
That's one reason, and I believe that it is related to the way cannaboids embed themselves into body fats.
-Another reason is that people who use chemicals in order to improve their "feelings" about themselves and about the world (whether those chemicals be alcohols or amphetamines or cannaboids or nicotinics or opiates, whatever) are NOT seeking the advice & REAL help they need in order to balance their emotions - MUCH of the cause of depressions & feelings of self-unworthiness are consequences of diet, and the PERMANENT improvement brought about by a healthy diet is FAR preferable to drugging oneself into a temporary mellow near-stupor.
- n addition, the body produces its own natural stimulants during exercise, and I don't know of anybody who exercises while smoking or toking or sniffing or injecting or licking.
About the only acceptable argument in favour of legalisation for non-medical purposes is that illegal use puts users into the "tender care" of criminals, many of whom deliberately lace their product with even more addictive substances. Which is the stage at which decriminalisation for personal use seems attractive at first glance.
As well as stated above, there are many other short/long term side effects of the drug, the most daunting being its link to schizophrenia - http://www.medindia.net...
That is why marijuana should NOT be legalised, vote con.
Posted by effy 7 years ago
effy
I find it very ammusing, even after forfeiting every round my opponent felt he deserved all the points in this debate!
Vote Placed by lemaandrew 7 years ago
lemaandrew
lemaandreweffyTied